Ticking + no indicators or wipers

IanFM

Reaction score
Hi guys. Bit of a problem. Started the car up this morning and there was quite a loud ticking noise from behind the dash in the area of the fuse box and also the windscreen wipers and indicators don't work. I have had a look behind the fuse box and as expected there are a bunch of relays in there. I suspect one if them is the problem but any hints or pointer would be great.

Update:

Cables and relay panel behind fuse box were wet. 2 things is it likely just to be a faulty relay or am I to prepare for the worst..... Secondly any idea where the water would be coming from?

Last edited:
have a look inside the ecu box, that is a known leak spot at the drivers side, also if there is water in there check that the drain holes 1 under battery and 1 under brake servo are not blocked and everything is swimming in water

if its wet your cem will be shot

open it up try to dry may be lucky

its the black box to the right of the steering wheel behind the bottom cover with a few big plugs in it

iv changed a few in the past and as above take ecu cover off make sure its not wet in there the seal may have gone and letting water in.

Thanks for the input guys. What is a cem? More importantly how much are they?

it runs the wipers lights etc

they range from 30/120 on ebay no idea how much from audi.

if it is that make sure yu get the correct part number end letter is important for it to work

If it controls the lights then I might be ok as the lights still work?!?

If it controls the lights then I might be ok as the lights still work?!?

it can make diffrent things not work tho

open it up nad take it from there

Bet it's your hazard light switch. Did it on my S3 and turned out to be the hazard switch.
Worth a try :)
Johnny

Looks like bez might be right have just pulled the electronics control module and sure enough it is a bit wet. Although it looks like it has been that way for a while. So drying it out just now and will see how that goes.

If I need to replace it apart from making sure I get the right one with the correct letter is it plug and play other than that?

water may have been geting in there for a while

dont forget to find out where the water is comeing from tho

and all depends for plug an play if new needs codeing

second hand may or not need codeing changed all depends on options of the car.