Throttle response

DotNetDude

Reaction score
Is it me, or is the throttle response different in Sport, than Drive, with the 2.0 diesel?

I often lazily pull away from a junction, with my foot set at a particular point on the throttle (drive select set to comfort).

However sometime I flick it into sport, just before the junction, and when I pull away, even though I feel like my foot is at the exact some point on the throttle, it feels like it accelerates much quicker, as if I had my foot further down on the throttle.

This is in complete contrast to my previous car - A4 B9 2.0 TFSI auto. With that, there was absolutely no difference between Sport and Drive with regards to throttle - the difference between S/D was purely related to how long the gears were held, before changing (well, that and of course not switching the engine off when idle).

With this A6 diesel, I find the Drive mode much more balanced and have considerably less need to switch it into Sport, compared with the A4 where I often felt the auto gearbox lag in Drive mode. And yet when I do switch it into S mode, I feel it is much more sporty than my A4 ever was... Ironic given this is the diesel...

I've not really noticed, but I will pay more attention when I'm out tomorrow.
I've noticed that auto feels very similar to dynamic when both in S. I dont think I've ever used comfort.

Note that I'm not referring to the Drive select. I leave that in Comfort. I'm just talking about knocking the gear leaver from Drive to Sport.

Knocking the gear lever to 'S' places it in a 'dynamic' mode, although it won't tell you that. Should be in your manual..
"
Select sport mode (5) if you wish to take full advantage

of the car's performance. This setting

makes use of the engine's maximum power output.

When accelerating the gear shifts may be

noticeable."

Last edited: