Throttle body cleaning

tom2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

1.8tq bex,

thought it might be worth giving it a bit of tlc while I'm off work for a few days since it does have a hard life.

Done the rocker cover gasket, oil pick up, new sump, air/fuel/oil filters, spark plugs, new coil packs, coolant flush, new battery and had aircon regassed today.

tomorrow I'll do front wheel bearings, brake fluid change, get the wheel alignment/tracking done and fit my new glovebox.

day 3 tempted to attack the diff and gearbox oil if audi has the correct oils on the shelf.

I would also like to clean the throttle body since I know it hasn't been done for 60k miles and probably wasn't done before that so can only assume the car would benefit from it, would like some more info about the throttle body alignment process when refitting before I attempt it though so any info would be gratefully received.

also any suggestions on straight forward perishables I should change while I'm in the mood.

Thanks
tom

Blimey, you've been busy

Do you have Vag-com to perform the throttle body alignment? I am a total Vag-Com noob and I managed to do it so you'll be OK

The procedure is detailed on the Ross-Tech site

If you have had the battery off you have already done the basic setting for the throttle body and not even known it, another tick on your list!

The battery disconnect puts it back to basic/general settings........ but the alignment process then teaches the TB its actual limits

I don't have vag com just a really basic code read/delete, are the ebay versions any good?

Stay away from cheap copies and Flea bay bargains. Last thing you wanna be doing is plugging in a duff VCDS cable. If your going to be doing alot of VCDS work use NHN as he is a registered dealer and theyre not that expensive either.

I've had a £25 OBDII cable for over 6 years, & used it countless times with my Ross Tech registered ($99)VCDS without any problem.
Yes with a genuine Ross Tech cable you will get full support if you have problems, but Ross Tech still supports registered VCDS users with software issues but obviously not 3rd party cables.

For TB alignment you don't actually need VCDS as the ECU will adapt the TB over a few driving cycles. VCDS just aligns/adapts the TB in a few seconds. I've done TB cleans many times & to be honest there's never been any noticeable difference between doing it with VCDS or not. However whichever way you go it is important not to start the engine untill the TB stops whistling when power is restored. Usually takes about 30 secs. N.B do not force the TB butterfly flap open as it will break. I usually remove the TB & leave it plugged in with the ignition on & the gas pedal wedged to the floor so the flap is fully open.

I'll give it a bash on Sunday then, seems pretty straight forward.

It's the first time in a few years I've given the car any real attention and I'm glad I did, it feels like a different car now. Today was the first time I've ever walked out the house to go shopping and chose to jump in the audi instead of the mrs's merc sl500!

I even clayed and polished and ag hd waxed it earlier! The mrs thinks I've gone barmy but I'm finding it strangely therapeutic !