Thougts on new Brakes??

chrisash32

Reaction score
Afternoon All...
Well its that time where i need to replace my discs and pads!
Now I don't know if many of you will agree with me here, however i think the brakes on the A4 are complete garbage!! But I am willing to accept that maybe the set I had on were just cheap rubbish.
I feel they are quite spongy at the best of times and suffer from fade quite badly.

so... 101k on the clock and i want to put a bit of sharpness back into the stopping.. What do i need?
I don't want to do any silly big brake upgrades etc etc..
I am really just after the best discs and pads out there (front and rear) to get the most out of my daily driver.

I am also happy to hear of any cheapish upgrades that will see a large improvement.

Thanks Everyone :)

Chris

For pads I don't think you can get better stopping performance than a set of DS2500 pads all round.
Not the cheapest, but arguably the best IMHO. You'll get loads of different replies here as it's all down to personal opinions.

On my Ibiza I kept my Mintex standard pads, but upgraded the disc to a grooved set from ebay and the stopping power and lack of fade was like night and day. You pays your money and take your chances.

Good luck, Phil.

i suppose it is all down to opinion.. as i had some green stuff pads on my old renualt and i really didnt rate them...

But i have heard alot about the DS2500 and also the DS3000 pads.. What discs would be best to match these up with?

personaly i wouldnt be to fussed upgraading the rear ones, just standard mintex disc and pads will do the job as 80% of the braking is done on the front brakes,

front brake wise ive had a fair few different set ups on my last car, but value for money was good pads with drilled and grooved discs, but the 310mm upgrade that i did was the best but costly

a4 with bad brakes ??? jesus mine would put you through the window and im only using mintex pads and discs all round. maybe your fluid is a bit tierd you should change it when you fit your new brakes for all the bother it would be. i have driven loads of audis and the brakes were class in them all.

Do do not use Mintbitz discs off ebay - the hub and outer ring rust up within days and look rubbish - I hate mine. Personally I don't rate the mintex pads either. I'm getting some Porsche or RS4 B7 Brakes asap!!!

Also, your standard brakes should be pretty good - all my Audi have been awesome with standard set ups?!

a4 with bad brakes ??? jesus mine would put you through the window and im only using mintex pads and discs all round. maybe your fluid is a bit tierd you should change it when you fit your new brakes for all the bother it would be. i have driven loads of audis and the brakes were class in them all.

Also, your standard brakes should be pretty good - all my Audi have been awesome with standard set ups?!

thats interesting... mine are pants!!!! and mean seriously pants!

Think i am going to get the fluid changed.

On my old A3, I used EBC Sport discs, and Ferodo DS2500 pads which were a superb combo compared to the stock stuff.

I had to get my pads from Demon Tweeks (not my first choice!) but they were pretty good to be fair to them. I had to call them to check part numbers etc, but they were drop shipped from a supplier next day.

I have to say as well theres nothing at all wrong with the a4 brakes stock
pedal has virtually no travel at all and is very sharp
i think you need to get the brakes bled with a diagnostic machine with a change of fluid
saying all this thou i have recently upgraded to 321mm B7 2.0l turbo brakes and calipers and now it stops even better .

chrisash32 said:
i cant seem to find anyone selling DS2500 pads for the A4 :(

Europerformance £150 !! Ferodo DS2500s

Mines got 312mm discs on a B6 1.8T avant so the prices vary a little between models.

Also got Front Vented Brembo 312mm Discs (pair) for about £85 delivered from Bremboshop.

Thought that was a good deal as stealers wanted about £125 for standard discs.

I have to say as well theres nothing at all wrong with the a4 brakes stock
pedal has virtually no travel at all and is very sharp
i think you need to get the brakes bled with a diagnostic machine with a change of fluid
saying all this thou i have recently upgraded to 321mm B7 2.0l turbo brakes and calipers and now it stops even better .

interesting... i have a fair bit of travel in the pedal..
Its in at Awesome GTi next week for a service n some other things.. so will get them to take a look at it then.

i hope you know someone in that garage cause they could tell you anything was wrong with your brakes and charge a fortune..