Thoughts on Runner flap delete

swatchuk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the runner flap delete mod for the inlet manifold. I've been debating doing it for ages but some people say it's worth it and others don't.
I'll be taking the inlet manifold off soon to clean up all the valves and getting a new remap, so just thought if I'm going to do it it might as well be now.
My car is an S3 running stage 2+.
Any advice is appreciated.

Unless you have a big turbo or hybrid AND use run flap delete specific software it simply isn't worth it.

The car will run without specific software but cold idling or running can be badly affected otherwise.

On a stock turbo the gains are quite small and only really seen at the top end.

Reactions: HHS3
I will be going tte420 but probably not until next year. I know about the cold start issue and would get the flaps mapped out. Just thought while the manifolds off anyway is it worth doing.

I will be going tte420 but probably not until next year. I know about the cold start issue and would get the flaps mapped out. Just thought while the manifolds off anyway is it worth doing.

Assuming you're doing that,then it becomes worthwhile,just wasn't clear from what you'd said.

The APR RFD kit is well made,and CTS make one as well.
Who did you choose for the mapping?

Sorry I should have been more clear what the future plans are.
It's a unicorn map that's on it at the moment, may be going back to see Rick or going to go to r-tec. Just need to get this inlet cleaned up and put a de-cat on instead of a sports cat.
While your on here Alex I've got a forge catch can system on my car currently. Have you seen the r-tec pcv delete? Do you think it would be worth swapping to that? I'd love to go the I.E route like you but that will have to wait at the moment.

Reactions: S3Alex
No probs.

I haven't seen the R-Tec setup but anything that doesn't route all of the breathers out of the inlet will cause problems.

One of the sneaky ones is at the rear of the cam cover and empties into the turbo inlet.
Rick can certainly do the RFD mapping and can make RS4 injectors run without smoking on the S3 which is a trick few others have.

Unless you have a big turbo or hybrid AND use run flap delete specific software it simply isn't worth it.

The car will run without specific software but cold idling or running can be badly affected otherwise.

On a stock turbo the gains are quite small and only really seen at the top end.

Handy to know.

I'll be going to Storm Devs for a custom stage 2+ map at some point thanks to you and I was going to get them to fit the RFD and map out the flaps, but you're saying that unless you go for a bigger turbo, then it's just simply not worth doing?

I don't think the small gains are worth it.

If you're planning on a hybrid or more later then it's definitely worth doing as it will be useful for that.

Put it this way....if you get a 3-4% gain then it would amount to about 8-10 bhp at peak rpm on a 360bhp engine.
On a 600 bhp engine it does add up.

Reactions: HHS3
I don't think the small gains are worth it.

If you're planning on a hybrid or more later then it's definitely worth doing as it will be useful for that.

Put it this way....if you get a 3-4% gain then it would amount to about 8-10 bhp at peak rpm on a 360bhp engine.
On a 600 bhp engine it does add up.

Ah I see, so it would be completely negligible to get done in my case then and worth putting the money towards something else.

As always, thanks for the info mate.

Reactions: S3Alex