Thoughts on my spec

iambu

Reaction score
Hi all

I have wanted a B9 A4 Avant for a while now and have done a fair amount of research into the new model!

I am planning to place an order this afternoon, and would appreciate any thoughts on my planned spec:

B9 A4 Avant
2.0 TDi 190 S-Tronic, S-Line

Optional Extras:

- Daytona Grey pearl effect
- Electrically folding door mirrors
- Heated front seats
- Matrix LED headlights
- Privacy glass
- Hill Hold Assist
- Extended LED Interior Lighting multi-coloured
- Larger AdBlue tank
- Larger fuel tank
- Deletion of engine technology badge

This spec retails at an On The Road price of £37,875.

I have got Exeter Audi to price match Coventry Audi (who quoted me via Carwow), for an incredible price of £31,656 when bought on PCP finance. This equates to a 16.42% discount.

I am planning to put down a deposit of £5000, which means monthly repayments of £298.

Any thoughts on my spec and finance plan?

The only other option I would like is the Virtual Cockpit, but this would cost an additional £1675 (Lights & Vision Pack + mandatory Technology Pack), so I talked myself out of it. Do people think the Technology Pack and/or the Virtual Cockpit are good options to choose for future re-sale appeal? I could probably add these options and keep the same level of discount, meaning this addition would cost £1399 extra.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
What I found out recently is that the dealers can also discount the price of optional extras. I would defo spec the tech pack and go with the lights and vision pack. Every review I have read states that they are a must and since the car was designed for them in the first place, I think people will expect them when the car hits the used market.

I've read a lot more into what comes with the tech pack over the standard sat nav and it is really impressive.

See if you can get a discount on the tech pack.

You've got 2/3 of the light and vision pack so drop the matrix LEDs and extended interior LEDs for that and add the tech pack. Includes 3 years of Audi connect with data, bigger screen, touch pad and I think a better satnav - worth the extra grand and a bit in imo

My only thoughts are:

Heated seats - do you need these with alcantara trim? I always spec heated if I have full leather, but alcantara doesn't get that cold.
Hill Hold Assist - is there any value in this with an automatic box and the auto-release handbrake?

+1 on the other options given, get the Light & Vision if you can.

Hill hold means you don't have to use the handbrake at all its much more convenient and its only £75.
I always spec heated seats great on a cold day.

Would go for the Matrix over the Virtual Cockpit but really both is better.

Thanks to all for your replies, good food for thought. It seems that the Tech Pack (and therefore also Lights & Vision Pack for me) are popular.

Heated seats appeal to me. I have them on my current car with full leather and use them regularly, and whilst my A4 will have standard Sprint cloth/leather which will be warmer I feel the cold so think this is a good option for me.

I've also read a good few positive reviews of Hill Hold Assist even with S-Tronic, and for £75 it seems good value.

I am now planning to order tomorrow (Friday 26th) so got tonight to think about it all some more. Need to look some more into what the Tech Pack offers with the upgraded sat nav etc.

Exciting but also daunting to order one tomorrow!

A small part of me is also considering buying it for cash, if I could afford a bank loan at a good rate of approx 3.4%. But would need to re-pay it over 5 or 6 years to achieve an affordable monthly repayment figure. Purchase price would also increase as the Audi UK contribution would be lower / non-existant.

Take it out on finance to get the contribution and then withdraw from it and settle with the loan

Reactions: Stuhil
@iambu Hild hold assist works brilliantly with S-Tronic. I have it on my B8.5 S4. I use it all the time in stop/start traffic to stop the car creeping. For the cost it's a no brainer.

As for the finance side, I bought my S4 in 2014 on PCP and got the deposit contribution. I then settled the finance 3 months later using a traditional bank loan from First Direct (you get to keep the deposit contribution in case you are worried).

Hope that helps.

I have heated seats in my current b8 with the half leather cloth and they are well worth spec'ing! Certailnly warm you up quick when the car is cold.
I've also spec'd the hill hold assist and hested seats in my B9.

i must be the only person who doesn't think all leather seats are that bad in the winter. That said I do wear plenty of layers in those cold months so that might explain why

Moonlight Blue A4. Definitely made the right colour choice!

Thanks to all for your replies. I ordered my car a couple of weeks ago!

Final spec is as above in OP, except I removed the Matrix headlights and Extended Multi-colour Lighting, in exchange for adding Technology Pack and Virtual Cockpit.

Dealer says it currently has a Build Week of 21, so got to wait until June :pensive:

Reactions: scotty76
You should have added the light and vision pack as it includes the matrix LEDs, extended lights and virtual cockpit for only £900 as apposed to £450 for virtual cockpit on its own, matrix lights at £650 and extended lights £100

You should have added the light and vision pack as it includes the matrix LEDs, extended lights and virtual cockpit for only £900 as apposed to £450 for virtual cockpit on its own, matrix lights at £650 and extended lights £100

Yeh, the Lights & Vision Pack is £975, so for an additional £525 I could have the Matrix lights and Extended Lighting. I was aware of that when I ordered but I thought I'd be sensible and save myself £500! Reason being that I currently have halogen headlights on my Scirocco, so the standard S-Line LED headlights on the A4 will be a big improvement over what I currently have.

I would love the Matrix lights though...

If I changed my spec for this, and paid the extra £525 as part of my PCP cash deposit, would my monthly payments remain the same as already agreed?

Same problem that most of us face. Do you need matrix lights to drive at night. No you don't
Do you feel the need to say, yes they would do nicely since there on the options list, yes you do.

I will need some severe discipline when putting a spec together, discipline I ain't got :welcoming: Most of what I might choose is pure fluff but I cant help myself

Reactions: iambu
Yeh, the Lights & Vision Pack is £975, so for an additional £525 I could have the Matrix lights and Extended Lighting. I was aware of that when I ordered but I thought I'd be sensible and save myself £500! Reason being that I currently have halogen headlights on my Scirocco, so the standard S-Line LED headlights on the A4 will be a big improvement over what I currently have.

I would love the Matrix lights though...

If I changed my spec for this, and paid the extra £525 as part of my PCP cash deposit, would my monthly payments remain the same as already agreed?
Yeah you can add it to your cash deposit and your monthly payments would stay the same.

Thanks to all for your replies. I ordered my car a couple of weeks ago!

Final spec is as above in OP, except I removed the Matrix headlights and Extended Multi-colour Lighting, in exchange for adding Technology Pack and Virtual Cockpit.

Dealer says it currently has a Build Week of 21, so got to wait until June :pensive:

Wahoo, my car has moved forward to Build Week 17 (commences 25th April), so estimated delivery is third week of May :yes:

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and h1r4
How come your car has jumped from build week 21 to 17 and leaped ahead of mine? Mine is build week 20 and I ordered my car over 1 month before you. My car has just been pulled forward to build week 19.

It just seems odd and abit unfair that some people get to 'jump the queue' so to speak, before others who have ordered over a month before! (I'm having a go at Audi here and not other owners)

Can anybody explain?

Could it be due to my high spec? Mind you the car above is pretty much an identical spec to mine!

I don't know of anybody on here that has had to wait as long as me for their B9! I was told a wait of around 3 months before I get my car but now it will be 6 months!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: h1r4
How come your car has jumped from build week 21 to 17 and leaped ahead of mine? Mine is build week 20 and I ordered my car over 1 month before you. My car has just been pulled forward to build week 19.

It just seems odd and abit unfair that some people get to 'jump the queue' so to speak, before others who have ordered over a month before! (I'm having a go at Audi here and not other owners)

Can anybody explain?

Could it be due to my high spec? Mind you the car above is pretty much an identical spec to mine!

I don't know of anybody on here that has had to wait as long as me for their B9! I was told a wait of around 3 months before I get my car but now it will be 6 months!!!!

Sorry @ScottishS3 ! :grimacing::neutral:

I guess I (and others) have just been lucky. Must depend on parts availability at the factory, and schedules for specific specs / engines / trims / etc.

No don't you be sorry mate. Not your fault. I just don't understand the system. Your car is virtually identical to my spec, same trim, colour.....I just don't get it. I know other people on here that have ordered the exact same as me and not waited nearly as long and ordered after me and still getting their car before me!!!
Just my luck.

I'm obviously massively jealous as well! Ha ha.

You need to post some pics up when you get it. Bet you can't wait!

Reactions: iambu
@ScottishS3 was the same waiting for my S4. Some people got them before others. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Hang in there not Long now.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9