Thoughts on an intresting interior mod?

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering what you guys thought of this idea...
I use my car as a van 90% of the time and didn't really need my back seats so I've taken them out. I've currently got a sub chained down behind my drivers seat and an amp in the rear footwell behind the driver's seat [so I've still got plenty of space in the boot].

I've decided that I would like to make the interior look nicer but still accomodate for these requirements [lots of boot space, sub and amp].

This is what I have in mind...

Fabricate [out of wood] a bench-like unit that will lay over the dip where the back seats were and hide that annoying centre pillar [that both back seat backrests slide into]. I would then fit 2x10" subs into this fabricated 'bench' behind both front seats and have the amp concealed within the unit somehow.

So, am I crazy or do you reckon that this would look ok?

If you fabricate it out of 1/2" or 3/4" (if you want it to be stronger or span a void) plywood you should cover it in hard wearing carpet to match your interior.
This is how custom ICE builds are done.
Don't use MDF as its not very strong as a sheet and really heavy.

Just buy a cheap van and just the car for times when your not carting stuff all over the place.

Ok thanks for the advice mate, I guess I should knock up a trial unit using polystyrene first and see how that goes. I'll give it a go this weekend and post up some pics :happy:

Btw has anyone fitted lightweight front seats with 4 point harnesses into their A3/S3? I've been toying with the idea but obviously if I did so then I'd have to take into account where the rear seatbelt mount points are, so I can drill holes in the appropriate places if I were ever to fit replacement seats / harnesses. :think:

If you're going to make up a template, use hardboard, polystyrene will make a hell of a mess.