those who have had their turbo replaced...

Reaction score
guys, the turbo has gone in my 06 2.0 tdi with 80k on the clock. jus wondering for those who have had to replace this, how much has it cost you ect? i have been quoted approx 1250 at awesome gti in manchester for a new turbo and to clean all the neccessary parts what do you think?

regards and thanks in advance

ian

Mine's just around 76,000 now, what confidence I have in it...NOT!

would love a hybrid mate but id have to change lots of other things plus i think id go through so many sets of tyres because of the torque! what prices do you think i should be looking at? cheers guys

you can get an hybrid turbo for around the £1000 mark,. you will only need a custom remap to start with and these turbos seem stronger than the standard ones. you will have extra power if you need it so wont be much harder on tyres. you could always add exhaust, performance air filter, bigger injectors, and so on later. cant see the point in spending over £1000 on a stock turbo without seeing any gains. only my opinion though

This is the 3rd turbo thread you've opened all same pretty much, keep your turbo issues to 1 thread not multiple, it just gets messy, pointless opening multiple unless its a different discussion.

Another 2.0TDI turbo misfortune thread...I think it would be an accurate observation to say that the fuel savings from the 2.0TDIs are a bit of a false economy given how many turbos blow and cyl heads crack on them.

i think id go through so many sets of tyres because of the torque!

Thats crap, has made virtually sod all difference to my tyres, I dont drive like a granny, but then I also dont drive like a complete **** either & if yours were to go that way so quickly, then I'd be concerned about the whole engine getting fxcked not just another turbo, just cause people have hybrids doesnt mean you have to drive it like a rally car, there is an amount of common sense for longevity of your upgraded engine etc & respect for the fact you've blown one already.

For a start has your engine been mapped???? If its not then you should be looking to see why its gone! Did you not get any warning sounds from it??

@nhn- jus seems like nobody was replying, opend another thread to get some opinions.. i never said i would rag it if i got a hybrid as i drive carefully but progessivley anyway, probably like most of the people on the forum. im just thinking about the extra costs involved, if any.but thanks for your help anyway

do you think it would be better to source the turbo myself then ask the garage to fit it and also where is the best place to buy one i will look at both hybrid and normal turbo and also what fitting costs do you think i will be looking at? tbh i am happy with the power atm but what do u think would be best?

@ sarah-the turbo seemed to be 'sticking' coming on and going off boost on the odd occasion so im guessing it was on the way out

cheers

ian

Awesomegti price is Ok for a new turbo but a recon turbo will be several hundred pounds cheaper then new and just as good if from a good place.

my turbo blew last year in september.. it cos me £700 to replace my turbo with a recon.. cleaned out the necessary parts and had and oil change aswell.

dont do what i did, which was stupid thinking about it

my turbo went at around 90k and after the turbo had abit of running in i got a remap which im sure has taken life away from my stock turbo because it sounds like its about to go again at 135k.

if you are thinking about keeping the car for a long time and plan on doing anything performance with it i would go for a hybrid and so if you do ever fancy making it quicker you have a much better starting point and the peace of mind that you know it wont go so soon and previously said they are stronger than stock turbos.

next time my turbos packs in i will splash out on a hybrid and custom map and i then will know the car will be good for awhile unlike stock turbo and remap which has wasted me precious months of turbo life .

@ devonmikeyboy yeah awesome quoted me 1300 for a new turbo and clean out all necessary parts and flush out all stuff which needed doing inc oil ect. also they said they dont deal wioth recon turbos as they said they have nothing but problems with them from previous customers what do you think? if i got a hybrid how much would it be for everything? but i am not running a custom map so ive been told that i would jusy get alot of turbo lag if i didnt have one and also i wouldnt be making efficient use of the turbo? do you think its worth it?

£1300 for a new turbo stock version or hybrid, cause if they are including cleaning everything out & by that I mean IC of, all pipes, even possibly manifold then its gotta be standard turbo for sure as thats some hours work believe me as I've done it.

cheers for the reply nhn. yeah its a stock turbo and they said they would clean EVERYTHING out the intercooler, the lot. new gasket new oil feed and return pipes ect does that seem a good price to you mate? the thing is i would have a peice of mind doing it there as i get a warranty if it goes bang again not like some of the other places ive asked. and also they said it would be 100% fine running it with the remap on however im not so sure?? what would you do?

regards

ian

TBH if I was you I would go with hybrid, if you're taking all that of then I would certainly consider the upgrade.

If you want stock then yes swap turbo over & the remap as is will be fine, but be sure they do clean it all out as some will say they will but dont.

When they say clean out what do they mean?
If you look at a bkd turbo thats blown on the exhaust side the only way the metal bits are going is out the exhaust.

The exhaust gas recirculation tap/joint is on the manifold before the turbo so its unlikely to chuck metal up there .

If you mean oil and stuff well unless you are blanking the egr off as well its going to be full of tar/oil/soot in a month any way.

Having seen a few "blown turbos" it seems to be the exhaust side that fails.
Inlet looks intact - not enought damage to warrent looking where it went.

The reason a new oil feed pipe is needed is because the union to the turbo usally siezes on and there isnt enough access to get leverage on it attached to the car hence the pipe gets distroyed to get it off.
The oil return pipe can be checked visualy for blockage/damage.
Euro car parts were doing some good prices a month or so ago if you ring up for a new turbo.

Your paying a lot for piece of mind.
I changed mine on the drive - there seems to be some special magic about turbos were people will shell out big money - its just another mechanical thing bolted to the car. I would say changing a cambelt is a trickier job
Sorry not trying to preach the price seems a little high.
Its probably worth a remap after though as its the low rev driving all the time combined with the egr that locks up the variable vane mechanism that leads to failure throught over boosting.

I disagree on the bkd, it doesnt seem to be the exhaust side, the shaft snaps & the impellor wheel obviously hits the side of the turbo cylinder & breaks up & flies into the pipework, seen a number of turbo's done this, thus you end up with metal chunks imbedded in the side wall of the rubber pipes & metal parts flown down through the pipework into the IC & possibly into the inlet lanifold, now the latter is remote, but has happened, but personally from my experience I found metal parts in the IC when I cleaned the whole system out by removal & flush.

No the oil return pipe doesnt get detroyed in most cases, mine was perfectly ok, reused & hasnt had any issues, now different situations have different outcomes, but in most cases by reports on the forums I've read my case stands out as the most likely scenario, yours maybe have been different, but so far not read until now a bkd with this situation.

The bkd's I seen must have got lucky (in that bad luck its still broken though way)
yep if bits are floating around the inlet tract then sleeping at night sounds like something worth paying for
Agree with the oil return thats easy to take off - its that double lock nut job on the turbo end of the oil feed with about 30 degrees of spanner movment thats tricky.

Yeah its not a fun job I'll agree mate, especially on axle stands in 40 degrees C italian heat as I had to do last year, lost ****** loads of weight though, bonus, lmfao.

nhn and james cheers for the help, really do appreciate it. i spoke to a guy yesterday an audi mechanic and he said quote'' that if metal has come off the turbo, it wouldnt get past the intercooler, i dont care what has come off the turbo because the intercooler it so long and the veins are so small coming from it it would get spat into manifold'' from what i can remember!!

nhn- just spoke to the guys at awesome and they said that if i did get a hybrid then i would certainly have to get the s3 intercooler and also better brakes to handle the torque, and unfortunatley i dont have enough cash to do so otherwise i would be on that note straight away!
i will DEFINITELEY make sure they clean everything out though and ask about cleaning the manifold out too if needed! i just hope everything gets back to normal! and how the ****** hell dod you replace one on axle stands! hahaha.
on another note all the oil that has been spat out down the exhaust, will that mean i will get blue smoke for a few weeks until it all burns out? when should all of that clear up?

many thanks again youve been a power of help guys

ian

my rebuilt hybrid went pop after spending £500 on the rebuid
my 2nd hybrid was made from a new turbo for about £1100 excluding fitting/cleaning etc

with a hybrid you DO NOT need an uprated intercooler on a road 2.0 tdi, but a panel filter and decatted downpipe and high flow rear box will help with the hybrid's slightly slower spool-up and help to get about 230-240-hp from it with a custom remap

uprated s3/r32 front brakes would be a good idea however....

i spoke to a guy yesterday an audi mechanic and he said quote'' that if metal has come off the turbo, it wouldnt get past the intercooler

nhn- just spoke to the guys at awesome and they said that if i did get a hybrid then i would certainly have to get the s3 intercooler and also better brakes to handle the torque, and unfortunatley i dont have enough cash to do so otherwise i would be on that note straight away!
i will DEFINITELEY make sure they clean everything out though and ask about cleaning the manifold out too if needed! i just hope everything gets back to normal! and how the ****** hell dod you replace one on axle stands! hahaha.
on another note all the oil that has been spat out down the exhaust, will that mean i will get blue smoke for a few weeks until it all burns out? when should all of that clear up?

I dont agree with the audi guy, when my turbo went, the wheel broke of some pieces & these were fairly small, this shot into the IC, when I removed I found a load towards the end aswell, so if the engine continued to run there is no certainty they wont get through, but you tell me, do you want to take the chance, sod it if I did & tbh I'm glad I removed all the pipes, IC & mani as when new turbo was on there could have been a possibility those small pieces could of gfone into the engine, given the pressures involved huh, for me dont risk it, remove all parts discussed clean up, then you have peace of mind cause new engine is a shed load on labour alone.

As per Dunk, you dont need an S3 intercooler, mine has the stock one & it works perfectly, no issues with flow or cooling at all, so for me clean out & use stock with hybrid turbo.

AFAIK Mikey is still using stock intercooler, has never been a discussion point so far anyway.

Exhaust, I removed front section where CAT was, emptied oil & flushed, had very minimal smoke, hasnt been an issue since.

@nhn- jus seems like nobody was replying, opend another thread to get some opinions.. i never said i would rag it if i got a hybrid as i drive carefully but progessivley anyway, probably like most of the people on the forum. im just thinking about the extra costs involved, if any.but thanks for your help anyway

do you think it would be better to source the turbo myself then ask the garage to fit it and also where is the best place to buy one i will look at both hybrid and normal turbo and also what fitting costs do you think i will be looking at? tbh i am happy with the power atm but what do u think would be best?

@ sarah-the turbo seemed to be 'sticking' coming on and going off boost on the odd occasion so im guessing it was on the way out

cheers

ian

hello mate, due to owning a few turbo car's over a few year's i have learnt that it is not alway's the turbo that is at fault!!! i dont know these engine's but sure there will be some sort of boost control sender's? air flow meter's... can you not get a code reader on it? or do a self check on theses car's? (pedle test) which will give you a code to tell you where the problem is... that is what i would do instead of splashing out 1k in cash which might not be needed... another thing is your car using oil? blue smoke on start up/ on boost? and whinning from the turbo???

hth

Did you even read his 1st post, his turbo has gone

Last edited:
Did you even read his 1st post, his turbo has gone

yes i did read his first post!!!!! you immature keyboard warrior. i think you should read it again for your self!!!! as he qoute and i say again qoute's ( guys, the turbo has gone in my 06 2.0 tdi with 80k on the clock.) but who is he to say it is gone???? as the reply he give in the post i replyed to. say's his turbo was coming on and off. which made me lead to the fact that it might not be his turbo.. trying to save him money!!! which lead me to giving my helpful reply....

guys, the turbo has gone in my 06 2.0 tdi with 80k on the clock. jus wondering for those who have had to replace this, how much has it cost you ect? i have been quoted approx 1250 at awesome gti in manchester for a new turbo and to clean all the neccessary parts what do you think?

regards and thanks in advance

ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok before I point out the obvious to you, please go back & check the following.

Read the 1st post again, then read post 11 the last long sentence, then read post 25 again & the last sentence iirc.

TBH if I was you I would go with hybrid, if you're taking all that of then I would certainly consider the upgrade.

If you want stock then yes swap turbo over & the remap as is will be fine, but be sure they do clean it all out as some will say they will but dont.

my reply was not a debate~!!! , it was me just pointing out , that you dont not need to reply, in such a way you did !! i hope you learn from that !!!

I really fail to see how your post 36 has any relevance to this thread at all, infact any of your posts in this thread.

Your reply & posts seem to show a new member to a forum that doesnt read the whole thread properly, so before posting further, please read the pointed out posts so you can see where your mistakes were clearly made.

I'd like to think you will now learn something from this, but I fear a continuation of your previous path to enlightenment on this thread will follow.

Personal attacks are not tolerated, a moderator has already edited you once, take the hint now before you end up as a long standing member did recently, friendly advice, keep it on topic & factual, then nobody has a problem do they.

@ nhn thanks again for the info. i will just be sticking to the standard turbo and also awesome said that it will be safe with the remap... just as you sugested so i am quite comfortable with that. the guys there sad they will do a vagcom check to see if anything comes up on the computer as well as a manual check to actually see what is the fault and only with my authority will they undergo a repair so i am happy with that. in conjunction with what happend and what i described on the phone to them they seem 99% sure that it is the turbo. but we shall see. but i definiteley what everything cleaned out if it is the turbo because like you said, it is peice of mind that i know there will be no metal in the pipes and in the ic.

thanks again