Those crazy Dutch prices!

teslaboy

Mythos black RS3 8v FL
Reaction score
Guys, just touring around Holland for the week in the RS and I'm amazed to see very few performance vehicles here, not seen any S or RSs, hardly any GTis.
It's all down to the prices here, just checked the Audi NL website and a sportback RS3 retails at, wait for it.......

72300 euro that's 64k in pounds!!!! and no extras.

This would explain why the RS has attracted quite a bit of attention, all good attention fortunately.

FYI, I thoroughly recommended Scheveningen on the beach here in Holland.

Reactions: RJ-8V
Its the same in Switzerland i did the same last year and the prices were madness but then again so is everything there, i think we are quite lucky in the UK its seems expensive but as soon as you see prices in other countries it doesnt seem too bad...

Reactions: teslaboy
I wonder if their road tax, fuel prices and servicing costs are also as expensive...?

Damn... that's like $85,000 here. Spendy!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The fuel is more expensive it's cost 85euro to fill the tank that's £75. Sure it's cheaper than that in the UK....

I don't believe we get that model here in the us.

I wonder if their road tax, fuel prices and servicing costs are also as expensive...?

Yes, in the Netherlands everything is more expensive, either because of the VAT, but for fuel we pay double taxes(VAT and extra added taxes). Also road tax is calculated on feul type(diesel is more expensive then petrol, no matter how big the petrol engine is.. a 6.0 W12 petrol is cheaper then a 1.9tdi) and emission..

Reactions: RJ-8V
Yup, we pay double taxes on new cars. Even on the options we pay double taxes. Thats why many dutch people import young/almost new cars from Germany. Cheaper and more options on it.

I did the same with my FL. Saved me at the bottomline around 8000 euro.

Scheveningen is great, is a 10min drive from where i live :)

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

There is quite a variance of fuel prices between EU countries with Netherlands being up at the top and the UK and Spain below avearge but not the cheapest. However, in Europe many petrol cars can operate on E85 fuel. It is quite common to see the likes of a Clio stop at the 95 pump, take on a few litres at 1.53€/litre and move to the next pump of E85 and take on the same quantity at 60cents/litre. This does not help diesel drivers though. Nor RS cars!

France until recently was cheaper than the UK, but then the Govt here finally realised they were missing a trick...

Some EU countries have no road tax, but make up for it - and more - in toll charges. Servicing charges are on a par. So in all, the UK has it good.

As for car prices - many UK prices have been held from the days - only a short while ago - when the exchange rate was good. This cannot last* and if the £/€ rate stays at the dismal 1.12 that it is now, there will be a sharp hike. And then there is the 'no deal situation' - buy now whilst you still have the chance!

* It used to be that Audi UK was one of the few suppliers that would sell a LHD model for a surcharge of a few hundred pounds. They have stopped it now!

Last edited:
Lol. Yup we get the "saloon" as you call it. We call it a passenger car, sedan, or just strait car. The avants are wagons here.
Ah don't you just love the English vs USA lingo differences ;)

TX.

Reactions: Terminator x
Europe is expensive in general compared to the U.K. due to the poor exchange rates.

When the Euro was first introduced I’m sure the exchange rate was around 1.45 to the £, now it’s around 1.10

55 litres of 1.33 SUL is around £73 here in the U.K. so similar.