Thorns in cycle tyres!!

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
How is it in this day and age something as small as a thorn can totally deflate an MTB tyre!! I've coming to work on my bike now for the last 10 months or so and up until last week havent suffered one puncture at all, then last week i get one in the front wheel caused by a thorn, just been outside and lo and behold both tyres are down! Promptly changed both tubes and reinflated them so im not messing about at 5 tonight (luckily i carry 2 spare tubes in my bag now after last weeks episode.

Anyway mini rant over now just find it surprising that we have all this tech around us and a thorn can do this, might be time to try some tyre slime now i think.

Slime is the future mate... unless you're a weight weenie type, they do weigh a bit more than normal tubes..
Another tip my old man passed on to me many years ago, is to carry a small pair of scissors (or anything that will cut a tube basically) and a couple of zip ties. If you run out of tubes, then you can cut through where the puncture is, then fold each end back and zip tie them tight.. drop the tube back in and re-inflate.. this only works mind if the puncture is a good way from the valve and obviously, it
renders the tube un-useable again.. but will get you home if all else fails.. :thumbsup:

What tyres are you using? Have they got a kevlar band in them? Definitely worth paying the extra as it makes them a lot tougher against things such as thorns or flints. I was doing some serious mileage on kevlar banded tyres (use to commute 40 miles a day by bike) and not getting punctures until the tyre had worn out.

Unfortunately this time of year is when farmers are allowed to cut their hedges (its banned over the spring/summer/early autumn due to nesting birds) so you'll get loads more of these on the roads around now.

i just carry a puncture repair kit. I can get a puncture fixed in 10 mins. My innertube is littered with patches because Iv never got round to buying a new tube.

I bought some slime tubes recently and all has been well since! Last time I checked Halfords were the cheapest.

Just normal MTB tyres mate but when they need replacing i'll be looking for some with the kevlar band, sounds like an ideal tyre, didnt even know something like this was available.

What tyres are you using? Have they got a kevlar band in them? Definitely worth paying the extra as it makes them a lot tougher against things such as thorns or flints. I was doing some serious mileage on kevlar banded tyres (use to commute 40 miles a day by bike) and not getting punctures until the tyre had worn out.

Unfortunately this time of year is when farmers are allowed to cut their hedges (its banned over the spring/summer/early autumn due to nesting birds) so you'll get loads more of these on the roads around now.
Just normal MTB tyres mate but when they need replacing i'll be looking for some with the kevlar band, sounds like an ideal tyre, didnt even know something like this was available.

i just carry a puncture repair kit. I can get a puncture fixed in 10 mins. My innertube is littered with patches because Iv never got round to buying a new tube.

Got a little repair kit the other night aswell as a new tube to keep on me at all times now, also used my Co2 pump for the first time too, tyre was inflated in seconds. :icon_thumright:

I bought some slime tubes recently and all has been well since! Last time I checked Halfords were the cheapest.

Got myself a bottle of the slime liquid to put inside the tubes which i'm going to do this weekend, could be messy but hopefully will help. Also didnt know you could get tubes with the slime already in them, i really need to get out more lol.