This weekends detail #1....RS4 Sprint Blue

stevemiles70

Reaction score
Website
www.stevemiles.info
Returned to the scene of the crime today; the RS4 I did a couple of weeks back for a fellow RS forum member who is local to me.

The plan was that would see how the protection had stood up to the current weather and the daily commute of the last 2 weeks through country lanes and dodging tractors. Also to see what products had worked/failed and then clean-up, add some more layers of Jeffs Acryllic and then top off with Colinite 845 this time to check and compare the results in another couple of weeks.

Also wanted to test the durability of Espuma RD50 tyre dressing as well as the VP Dionysus Trim Glitz, as well as top up of 845 on the wheels and top up the windscreen/ glass beading. Looks like this is turning into a long-term product test mule :sm4:

I will report back on findings over coming weeks/ months

So onto the pics and condition car since the first detail.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The upper parts of the car held up well and pretty much spotless after the two weeks, as expected it was mainly the lowers that were the worst (mirrors were a bit disappointing did not hold up better) and see how that fares) but it was pretty impressive considering the weather we had and knowing the muddy country b roads that are used for the owners commute. Relative to a neighbour who does a similar commute over similar roads this was spotless and the 845 on the wheels looked like it had done its job when I finger swiped and the Jeffs also.

This was all very apparent when I decided to power wash with the Nilfisk, and showed just how superficial the dirt was as I reckon 75% it came off with just the water.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Was looking to explore and develop the technique of a less-touch wash (or ultimate nirvana a no-touch) and as such have this working nicely with Magifoam and ONR combo , but in this scenario Si didnt have a proper foam lance and would mean buying magifoam and onr, so we decided to work with what we had avilable and see what results it gave, until such time as more wash product was needed and then decide what to use going forward.

So here we experimented with the std Nilfisk bottle and some Megs Gold Glass, as one product can then be used through the lance and then in a bucket to spot treat any areas that the washer missed.. giving a much-less-touch wash. If we combine that with onr as drying aid/ qd mix, then sheet water off with open end hose or spray head that sheets, and some yellow uber drying towels, then we get a much-less-touch dry also.

8.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

Results above were good, although did need to resort to mitt wash for some areas and to get last of the wheels. I think if we tweaked it to use some other product (magifoam say) then dare say we couldf have got higher percent clean without needing mitt. I reckon it was 75% there.

Next was the dry off with Uber yellow towels.

Exhaust were cleaned and protected with britemax

11.jpg

All black plastic and trim was dressed and protected with VP Dionysus Trim Glitz and Tyres dressed with Espuma RD50

12.jpg

DSCF8162.jpg

Wheels protected with Colinite 845
18.jpg

Once all was dry and all the trim, exhaust, tyres, Glass was done, it was time to apply two more layers of Jeffs Acryllic Jett. Applied with Eurow Fluffy Towels and buffed with white MFs (same as Sonus white). I love this stuff as can be sprayed on and the MF can glide over the glass, rubbers, trim etc and no white residue or streaks etc and protect at the same time.

10.jpg

This left us with this...

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Colinite 845 was then added and buffed off. Applied with Green Sonus MF Pads and buffed off with Green and White MFs (same as Sonus white / green). Two layers were added to rear bumper, sills, arches and mirrors as these had seen the most dirt and the areas that didnt come clean without touching. Lets see how that holds up and what percentage clean we get from the touchless routine.
Below are the application shots and post buff final shots. Aplogies for the pictures that dont show the finish to te best, really need to invest in a new camera to do justice to the finish.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

26.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Thanks all for looking 8)

Tomorrow, doing a neighbours A4 Cab they just picked up last weekend, needs a bit of TLC and the Miles Better treatment 8)

Must try harder on pics :oops:

new camera methinks....colours well off.Great idea to trial products though, some real time tests would really help a lot of members decide on what to use, instead of relying on the ******** sales pitch on the sellers sites.

new camera methinks....colours well off.Great idea to trial products though, some real time tests would really help a lot of members decide on what to use, instead of relying on the ******** sales pitch on the sellers sites.

Thanks, any ideas on good cameras for this sort of work please.

Yes, there is so much marketing thype/ spin/ fluff hat goes on and they are not neccesarily great products but they can just afford to spend loads on marketing and brand appeal.

So hopefully I can provide some real world tests and experiences to all.

take a look at this link to a quick little test I did between digital camera and SLR digital camera.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/photography-digital-darkroom/111642-digital-vs-slr-test.html
Then you just need to ask around as to which SLR to get. I actually got some helpful but basic advice from a guy in Jessops. But for what your doing I think its almost one of the tools of your trade. Certainly claim your tax back on it !
Good concept your trying to achieve..........good luck.

take a look at this link to a quick little test I did between digital camera and SLR digital camera.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/photography-digital-darkroom/111642-digital-vs-slr-test.html
Then you just need to ask around as to which SLR to get. I actually got some helpful but basic advice from a guy in Jessops. But for what your doing I think its almost one of the tools of your trade. Certainly claim your tax back on it !
Good concept your trying to achieve..........good luck.

Thanks and much appreciated, will take a read. Need to read up on photography a bit.

Looking forward for the results! I have a canon ixus 970 is for conveniance and a nikon d60 and d5000 for more serious stuff.The wife uses them more than me as shes well into it.The canon is outstanding.Take a look at the B8 section photos thread to see what can be achieved, particularly like parklifes motor.

Last edited:
Good point.I find that half hour before dusk turns my phantom into a glass pool.

Look forward to the A4 cab pics, especially the roof. I'm going to clean and seal mine once I get a decent spell of weather....

Thanks for the replys all.

Writing up the Cab now and photobucket'ing pics, so will be online in an hour or so.

re the camera, I happened to be on another forum I am on (Jap) and somebody popped up that they had one for sale as had just upgraded to a Canon (dont ask me which one), so a deal was struck for £90, its a 'fujifilm finepix s1000fd' hope that sounds like a good one.

Last edited: