This Months Evo new S4 and RS6

gabster03

Reaction score
There is a review of the new S4 avant in this months Evo along with a group test of the RS6 with the AMG55 and M5

Same old Audi story with the S4 has the power and grunt but lacks steering and chasis feel.

They still rate the M3 higher. I really thought this car might of been the one.

as for the RS6 they like it more but it looses out to the M5 for again feel and enjoyment.

kinda makes you wonder if Audi designers can read doesn't it

I mean how hard is it to make steering with feel?

If we were designing the S4 (and a realistic Audi car) it would look the same (maybe a bit more aggressive though), the engine brakes and quattro are fine, interior lovely

then you would take the class-leading M3 and try to closely mirror the handling/feel albeit with the extra benefit of quattro

can't be quattro that makes Audi incapable of making an involiving drive a la M cars as Subaru and Mitsu manage it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The thing that is annoying is that when Audi were developing the S4, they took an M3 to the ring to test them side by side. The main aim seemed to be to get the S4 to lap as quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They better learn with the S3, but I fear they won't and I might have to buy a beemer next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What would happen is all the hacks would fawn over it and all the T**TS who buy beemers would buy Audis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

cant understand it myself.

First Audi recruit the BMW team with a view to developing a true drivers car with neutral handling and a sports setup.

But what we get is a load of hype, a car which looks seriously understated as well as being topheavy and no turbos so modding it is a truly expensive process.

All I can think is that when the prototype got to the marketing department the marketing team said "oh no, this is not for our target consumer, far too racey, go and dumb it down a bit"

Thats my theory anyway - anyone else got a view /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm disappointed by the looks and recent reports, bu I don't think you can blame Audi for not making it very mod friendly !!

The RS4 will be the true M3 competitor so let's hope that sorts out these issues.

sidicks

Well I think Audi are to blame - they could have put a couple of smaller turbos on it like they did with the S4 and then when the RS4 comes along give it the full-on, steriodal treatment. This would ahve meant that the car more than matched the M3 performance in its mass market (S4) form and then the RS4 would have been in a completely different class.

Mind you I haven't driven the new S4 first and so I should really reserve judgement - just think that audi have missed an opportunity, that's all.

new S4 - £35.5k 344bhp
M3 - £38.5k 343bhp

new RS4 - £50k+ 400bhp+
M5 - £51.5k 400bhp

and you are telling me the RS4 is the competitor for the M3?

Audi have made the S4 powerful enough and it is as quick as an M3 (almost in dry and quicker in wet) - it is the handling/feel/steering Audi seeem incapable of sorting

Adam,

I can see where you're coming from but I don't accept that Audi are incapable of sorting out the dynamics of the S4. What they have created is totally intentional and designed to appeal to a target consumer - slightly wooly jumper, a bit reserved but wanting to appear sporty without being flash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Comparing price and horsepower is a part of the equation. The M3 is lighter than the S4 but the S4 generates greater torque - hence the performance similarities. But surely it isn't about matching your competitors, its about exceeding a benchmark which is, I'm sorry to admit, is the M3.

When the RS4 was launched it cost £45K (there is no second generation RS4 at the mo) and the M3 was about £43K when you add a few options to it. All the group tests at the time of launch featured the M3, RS4 and Porsche 996.

To put Audi back in the "exciting" category VAG must do better than simply trying to match what is out there. After all they have the resources to blow BMW away but seem to be more intent on letting their marketing gurus focus on their "target consumer".