This may be a matter of my own opinion....

Wiles1991

Reaction score
Wanting to find out if Im the only one thinking this or if other's are too but across the new ranges of the A3 FL and the new A5 etc I've noticed the alloys to choose from on any trim level a bit...... bland, boring, basic? I find myself preferring the alloys that were on offer previously!

Would love to hear peoples thoughts :grinning:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
I agree, Audi have always been pretty good. I was looking at the RS4 on the configurator the other day, the wheels for that are bit meh.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Wheels are very much like paint, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, traditional alloy colour or Graphite at a push, any other colour is wrong

I really dont like wheels that add 'bling' to a car. If I had to name a favourite design it would be the VW pretoria.

Reactions: Reltub
For me, traditional alloy colour or Graphite at a push, any other colour is wrong.

This is the biggest problem IMO. Manufacturers seem insistent that customers all want gash black or really dark wheels. Bleurgh! :puke2:

Reactions: Dunedin, glospete and Neil C
BMW blow Audi right out of the water on oem alloy wheel choices, but saying that l really do like the wheels on my car

The original gun metal rotors seem to get a bit of flak on these pages but in my opinion they are the nicest alloys Audi have ever offered. It's a shame they don't seem to be available anymore (...?).

Reactions: RS5 JON
What alloys, what colour, DSG or manual ........all marmite

Reactions: Jassyo06
Anything diamond cut is a pain in the a**

Single colour wheels are more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton
BMW blow Audi right out of the water on oem alloy wheel choices, but saying that l really do like the wheels on my car

Love these ones

2016-BMW-M3-Competition-Package-test-drive-19.jpg

As far as Audi wheels go, these 2 are possible my favourite I think.

Audi-RS6-Performance-11.jpg

_tsp1970-2_0.jpg

Reactions: Dunedin, BarryG79, James.B8 and 3 others
I agree, most new models I struggle to see an alloy I like. My current wing arm alloys I love which are still available, outside of that it’s slim pickings. At the moment if I were to change vehicles it would be either an S3 saloon or A5, and because of the wheel situ it makes up my mind without thinking. I’m probably a good 16 months from changing so time yet for some new choices from audi hopefully.

Love these ones

2016-BMW-M3-Competition-Package-test-drive-19.jpg

As far as Audi wheels go, these 2 are possible my favourite I think.

Audi-RS6-Performance-11.jpg

_tsp1970-2_0.jpg
Like Daveotto says, marmite, I personally do not like any of them you have posted, even remotely ha!

Reactions: Daveotto
The current wheel on my S3 are ok, the options at the time weren’t amazing so I stuck with the standard ones.

fe38537110fc973de50b3c6f4c0c1ad3.jpg

I’ll be honest I’m seriously looking forward to the new rims on the black edition S3.

d4555812f34c7244a8075636af8739c8.jpeg

Reactions: LiamRS and Jassyo06
The current wheel on my S3 are ok, the options at the time weren’t amazing so I stuck with the standard ones.

I’ll be honest I’m seriously looking forward to the new rims on the black edition S3.

Recognize that car :whistle2::yes:
The spacers do help as otherwise the wheels are a little lost. Still prefer my 19" rotors on it tho, as have some nice concave going on.

Reactions: The Challinor

Recognize that car :whistle2::yes:
The spacers do help as otherwise the wheels are a little lost. Still prefer my 19" rotors on it tho, as have some nice concave going on.

Are these the ones that Audi powder coated on the inside? They looked smart, can't tell from the angle if these are those!?!?

Are these the ones that Audi powder coated on the inside? They looked smart, can't tell from the angle if these are those!?!?

These are just the standard wheels now fitted to the Black Editions. I've not had anything done to these but not a huge fan of them either.

Personally I do not like the alloys I have, and no i could not change them as the car was a pre-owned one. I love the alloys The Challinor has and those are what I wanted in the first place but spending over 2 grand for a set of wheels was a bit too much.

Personally I do not like the alloys I have, and no i could not change them as the car was a pre-owned one. I love the alloys The Challinor has and those are what I wanted in the first place but spending over 2 grand for a set of wheels was a bit too much.

What wheels do you have on yours then?

Wheels are very much like paint, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, traditional alloy colour or Graphite at a push, any other colour is wrong

I really dont like wheels that add 'bling' to a car. If I had to name a favourite design it would be the VW pretoria.

I think they’re a lot more like sideburns. Different variations, sizes and colours

You fitted spacers with the standard 18’s?

Your rims have Quattro embossed into them don’t they?

Yeh mate, standard 18's with 'quattro' embossed on the side of them, with 15mm hubcentric spacers fitted all round.

This is them

Attachments

• 78264F65-2810-4717-A248-CF52F6635F03.jpeg
    78264F65-2810-4717-A248-CF52F6635F03.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
Reactions: The Challinor
Have you noticed much difference with handling etc? Presume it was just done for looks. Do they stick out from the arches or not?

If anything it feels more planted. With them being 15mm the wheels dont stick out past the arches, just sit flush.

If anything it feels more planted. With them being 15mm the wheels dont stick out past the arches, just sit flush.
Looks good with the spacers.
My S3 SB is due in a month, and it’s on the standard black edition alloys. I wasn’t sure about those wheels to start with but a colleague has just taken delivery of his almost identical to my S3 black edition and now seeing yours I don’t think they’re bad at all.
Any idea if adding spacers would affect the warranty? I might be tempted if it doesn’t...

C39F42E1 41FE 4802 B05E 4CFB42ABF0DB
32AC2A5D A8BA 4AB9 B72A 53A910396C6D
These are my fav Audi wheels. Admittedly the RS6 wheels look better in anthracite but the A5 wheels are nice considering they’re black.
Loved my wheels at first but grown tired of them and prefer the wheels on the new S3.
0D11A5A3 77B6 4004 BABE A2890F357426

Reactions: James.B8
Audi have really lost the plot with their recent alloy designs. I love classic 5 spoke, easy to clean designs and brake pads that do not generate tons of dust. My present wheels (5 twin spoke) are a pita to clean especially behind the bottom of the spokes. The 5 wing arm design which was not available when I ordered is a much better design. The RS6 wheels are the only really nice wheels that Audi have. Saying all that I love some of the BBS wheels which contrary to what I have stated have some really nice forged and flow formed multi spoke wheels.

The standard S3 wheels do look good, they're just too ubiquitous which is why I went for the 5-V-Spokes instead.

And, I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I can't stand the BE alloys. They obviously hark back to the old 'rotors' but their time has long passed. Audi need to move on.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
The five arm Dynamic wheels that I ordered on my car are not seen very much but I quite like them
A6X00005 2
IMG 20170423 151439553 small
IMG 20170423 151307285 HDR small

Reactions: Reltub and The Challinor
On the new S3...???? Have l missed out on a new model like lol
Sorry I mean the facelift I’m sure they’re on the pre facelift just don’t see them as much.
Like the ones you have and these
9F647238 CB64 4476 9A1E 55A397268C9E

And, I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I can't stand the BE alloys. They obviously hark back to the old 'rotors' but their time has long passed. Audi need to move on.
@Vertigo1 - Not at all buddy
I'm not a lover of the 8V A3/S3 BE wheels either TBH
Sorry I mean the facelift I’m sure they’re on the pre facelift just don’t see them as much.
Like the ones you have and these
View attachment 140914
@James.B8 - The 5 v spoke alloys are only available on the FL S3's
They weren't available on the PFL
(Based on Uk spec cars)

Reactions: James.B8
Audi have really lost the plot with their recent alloy designs. I love classic 5 spoke, easy to clean designs and brake pads that do not generate tons of dust. My present wheels (5 twin spoke) are a pita to clean especially behind the bottom of the spokes. The 5 wing arm design which was not available when I ordered is a much better design. The RS6 wheels are the only really nice wheels that Audi have. Saying all that I love some of the BBS wheels which contrary to what I have stated have some really nice forged and flow formed multi spoke wheels.
I think you've actually hit the nail on the head for me there! I was looking at the A5 and they are all like multi 23443463423 spoke alloys, apart from 2 5 spoke alloys which had nothing to them and they both looked incredibly similar to each other.

Also I should clear up that I'm not saying all Audi's wheel design's are bad, some of them i absolutely adore and some of the wheels posted on this thread are stunning! :hearteyes:but I think the "choice" of good alloys on the recently released models and re-design's is a bit thin on the ground where as before i pretty much liked every option and variation of alloys available to me on the configurator.

Marmite and all that! :smiley:

The standard S3 wheels do look good, they're just too ubiquitous which is why I went for the 5-V-Spokes instead.

It’s a fair comment, Rotors are fairly old now. I seriously love the black edition rims - how can you love not the embossed Quattro lettering