This light just come on my dash?

Deze2014

A4 b8,s3 8v, q7 4l, SQ5 8r
Reaction score
Just driving my car and this light has come on Image Believe it to be the dpf light meaning that it's going to do a regen? Light has never come on before but iv had to pop in the in laws now I'm just waiting worried want to leave and get my car sorted what shall I do guys please somebody help me

Take it for as long as a motorway drive as you can. Minimum 20 minutes at 70mph in 4th or 5th gear (rather than 6th) to raise the exhaust gas temperature and do a passive regen on the DPF.

Reactions: Deze2014
Ok will do Sayam! Do I do it till the light goes out? There was me thinking that sometimes I drop a gear now and then to redline there was me thinking this was helping lol instead it's still clogging up with soot

That is the DPF warning light mate, basically a light indicating a fault in the DPF system. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is part of your exhaust and controls the 'soot' that would otherwise be expelled from the system.

The filter collects a certain amount of these harmful deposits and then burns them off at an extremely high temperature (450 degrees c). In normal driving this will happen without you being aware but on continued short journeys the particals can build up and remain 'stuck' in the system. It's at this point the warning light will come on and your intervention is required.

Found this for you bud:
How to clean, clear and reset (regenerate) the system
You should drive your vehicle for approximately 15 minutes keeping the engine revs between 2000 - 2500 rpm. This is probably best done on an A road. Keep the car in a lower than normal gear (use 'S' on an automatic) in order to keep the revs up.
What happens if I ignore the light?
The simple answer is DON'T! If you continue to drive and simply hope the light will go off (which it won't) you risk two things. Firstly the filter will become so blocked it can no longer be cleared, even by your dealer. It won't be covered by warranty and you'll have no change from £600+. Worse still the Cat/DPF will get so hot in it's attempt to burn off the soot, it can catch fire!
I've tried but the light won't go out
When the filter reaches a certain percentage full it can no longer clean itself and neither can you by driving in the correct style. At this point the vehicle must be taken to a VW dealer (See - "What happens if I ignore the light")

Try to clear it with the steps above mate, let us know how you get on! good luck bud.

Sean

Ok yeah mate will jump on the motorway Shortly I'll be sure to let you guys no the out come

Yeah 4th gear 70+mph light went out after 10 minutes hopefully it dont come back on again for a couple years lol

Yeah 4th gear 70+mph light went out after 10 minutes hopefully it dont come back on again for a couple years lol

Good stuff mate! my light came on aswell a few days ago and i had a brown trouser moment lol, a quick blast on the A-roads had it off in a few minutes. Still getting the daft DPF removed in a few weeks though.

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Deze2014
It is a DPF warning light.

When you look in the handbook it tells you to gut it and shut it and remap for a happy life .

Reactions: kanecullen89, Sayam and Deze2014
haha yeh I had a brown trouser moment as well my girlfriend said she would of too, lol is it recommended to get get the dpf cut off and replaced with a look alike box without getting the remap at the same time , my plans are to get a stage 1 revo map in a couple of months got to save up those pennies first lol?

haha yeh I had a brown trouser moment as well my girlfriend said she would of too, lol is it recommended to get get the dpf cut off and replaced with a look alike box without getting the remap at the same time , my plans are to get a stage 1 revo map in a couple of months got to save up those pennies first lol?
What engine you got mate?

1.9 tdi 105 should get 140 hp 250 -320 nm so they seem pretty decent gains to me pal :) get egr blank aswell

1.9 tdi 105 should get 140 hp 250 -320 nm so they seem pretty decent gains to me pal :) get egr blank aswell

i have the 170bhp older "PD" 2.0 tdi engine and was quoted around 500-600 for the DPF removal and remap including EGR blank with dyno time included - sadly dont have that kind of cash onhand at the moment so getting it done in the near future when I've saved up a bit.

Are the older engines common rail aswell? So what gains would you get then ? I'd be happy with 170 to be honest but then again when you have 1 thing you always strive for better i said to my gf before I'm getting a stage 1 revo map but she wernt happy lol probly have to be 1 of them ones get it done with out her knowing lol

Are the older engines common rail aswell? So what gains would you get then ? I'd be happy with 170 to be honest but then again when you have 1 thing you always strive for better i said to my gf before I'm getting a stage 1 revo map but she wernt happy lol probly have to be 1 of them ones get it done with out her knowing lol
No the older engines are pd or "pump duese" slightly different - less refined than the CRs. Im expecting a minimum of 205bhp but have seen them go up to 220bhp. I would be more than.happy with 205bhp as the car is already quick as anything. Cant afford it yet though lol.

Nice gains yeah sounds good :) would you have your map customized ? As if you have too muh low range torque wouldn't it be dangerous in realy wet conditions when you need to make those quick decisive manouvres navigating through rush hour traffic lol or would you just get a different tyre set up or possibly back and forth to where you had it mApped to tweak it to your absolute comfortability and perfection ?

Nice gains yeah sounds good :) would you have your map customized ? As if you have too muh low range torque wouldn't it be dangerous in realy wet conditions when you need to make those quick decisive manouvres navigating through rush hour traffic lol or would you just get a different tyre set up or possibly back and forth to where you had it mApped to tweak it to your absolute comfortability and perfection ?

Id get it custom mapped and ran on the dyno till the torque and power delivery curves were smooth and also use a reputable tuner. My cars quattro so hopefully loss of traction shouldnt be a problem.

You need to go on a 30 minute motorway run in 4th gear at 70 mph once per fortnight mate. That's what I do never had any trouble.

Light comes on based on your driving style (and therefore soot level in the DPF) not based on a time limit.

Ok well that's something I will do to keep my pride and joy firing all cylinders ,I wudnt say I'm a Sunday driver I always drop a gear and put my foot down now and again mostly when I hit a dual carriage way and if some annoying boy racer try's to overtake me in his tinted out loud corsa I always try show him lol I don't drive like a **** lol I do drive sensible

Ok well that's something I will do to keep my pride and joy firing all cylinders ,I wudnt say I'm a Sunday driver I always drop a gear and put my foot down now and again mostly when I hit a dual carriage way and if some annoying boy racer try's to overtake me in his tinted out loud corsa I always try show him lol I don't drive like a **** lol I do drive sensible

Lol, best way dropping down a cog and dusting boy racers in their corsas haha

To give you a reasoned response, the reason dropping a gear doesn't work is because it is a short burst of acceleration.

What you need to passively raise the exhaust gas temperatures (and therefore the temperature of the DPF, thus burning off the soot inside) is more of a jog than a sprint. That's why a sustained drive lasting a minimum of 20 minutes at 70mph does the trick. The only reason I say keep it in a lower-than-top gear is to keep the revs up and help get those exhaust gas temps up.

Sh1t idea the DPF though, and the EGR. Hopefully this new ad-blue system will work much better.

Yh mate cheers for making it more transparent to me and I will take it for a jog on the motorway once a fortnight if it keeps my car dash light free so be it I don't mind doing a couple junctions down the motorway nexttym I'll think ahead and do it in the evening 7-8ish as yesterday I done it and got caught in the traffic lol

Yh mate cheers for making it more transparent to me and I will take it for a jog on the motorway once a fortnight if it keeps my car dash light free so be it I don't mind doing a couple junctions down the motorway nexttym I'll think ahead and do it in the evening 7-8ish as yesterday I done it and got caught in the traffic lol

Deffo do that, I usually do on Sunday morning or if I go out with my mates on Saturday night I usually offer to drive.

Gutting the DPF, blanking the EGR valve is deffo on my 'to do' list of mods though...

Yeah and me defo want to get it all done at 1 place all at the same time mapped stage 1 egr delete including the software and of course dpf removal hopefully this summer it will be done but at the moment times are really tough for me on the bright side I can't wait so is yours mapped then?