Third party photo hosting

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Dear all on here

If, like me, you woke up yesterday to the news that all your pics had vanished from posts unless you agreed to pay Photobucket $399, the good news is that Imgur works just fine. It'll be a bit of a chore reloading historic pics into Imgur, but first indications are that it's a better site to use anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: J305, desertstorm, Chop. and 4 others
There are options other than $399 - thats the top service cost. There is a $99 option as well....

Im currently using 5.7GB of my storage plan - and thats 3000+ photo's...

Screenshot 2017 07 01 160122

Reactions: jdp1962
I think the writing is on the wall as far as Photobucket is concerned, so moving to an alternative provider is probably a smart move.

I may give Imgur a try :racer:

I switched to imgur a while ago because photobucket was just so annoyingly slow to navigate

Reactions: V6_Man
Well I am in the same boat as well now they have suspended the third party hosting on my account. Will be a right chore to repopulate the build threads with photos. I have been using photobucket for years and they have never had a penny off me so suppose it was always going to end this way.

Its sure gonna keep me busy moving photo's over to Imgur

Photobucket ? FU !

Reactions: gone, bobby singh, V6_Man and 1 other person
A question to the admins perhaps.

I have only used Photobucket on couple of occasions and I agree with XP's comment re: it being annoyingly slow and therefore a pain. I have never used Imgur however, if photobucket have decided that it is now a paid service I am sure Imgur will too in future.

I have never had any issues uploading pics from laptop/phone, which means I am using the space on ASN servers rather than any of the third party hosting service. Something you guys might want to look into for as a future policy. Having said that, the storage is a lot cheap compared to what it used to be years ago and therefore saving photos on ASN servers might not be that much of a big deal? Believe @MikeSel^ is the infrastructure guy and therefore should've the answer.

Also, have we thought about opening up services like Google / Amazon photos and One Drive for content sharing, we already have YouTube sharing enabled. For example; I have unlimited space on pretty much all of them bar One Drive which is 1TB and it will take me ages to fill. All my photos and I am sure it will be the same with everyone else that my photos get auto synced with Google and Amazon and therefore handy if I can attach them rather then uploading them to another sever and linking to my account.

Just my two-penneth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk
And forgot to mention iCloud, which again I am sure a lot of us are already paying for extra storage (personally, I don't pay for extra iCloud storage as I only use it for app backups. I sync my iPhone with my laptop on a monthly basis and have a reminder set for the last working day of the month. Google is my preferred service and if they decide to go paid, I'll be happy to pay).

Interesting points. What is the deal with ASN? I always just upload directly now. Downloaded a resizer app so I can keep the photos under 2Mb but otherwise I just upload away.

Interesting points. What is the deal with ASN? I always just upload directly now. Downloaded a resizer app so I can keep the photos under 2Mb but otherwise I just upload away.

@scotty76; exactly what I have been doing for the last few months now. However, as my photos are saved on G. Photos, when I download them they come under 2MB limit that we have on ASN. I simply upload them without any resizing issues.

Reactions: scotty76
How do you do that?

Reactions: V6_Man and scotty76
Photobucket hardly loads for me now.

What thresholds do you have to cross before it stops linking your pictures? ive noticed they are all gone on my build thread too, but opening the link directly does open the image.

Think ill just be getting a cheap web-based hosting and linking from there. These days, you can get 10gb free fairly easy, just the bandwidth you ahve to watch for.

Which bit Jeff? The resizing? If so on Android the app is called "Photo and Picture Resizer". Not sure if there's an iOS equivalent.

No iOS requirements, it is a straight upload from iPhone.

Photobucket hardly loads for me now.

What thresholds do you have to cross before it stops linking your pictures? ive noticed they are all gone on my build thread too, but opening the link directly does open the image.

Think ill just be getting a cheap web-based hosting and linking from there. These days, you can get 10gb free fairly easy, just the bandwidth you ahve to watch for.

Which upload bandwidth @Chris90; the hosting server or ASN?

Which bit Jeff? The resizing? If so on Android the app is called "Photo and Picture Resizer". Not sure if there's an iOS equivalent.
No, I was asking how you upload directly to a post without hosting it somewhere else first.

What, straight into a post?

Yes. If you are using iPhone I simply click on the image icon next to my camera icon and it opens up the photos gallery. Even if you click on the Attachment icon it opens your gallery but only shows you photos.

You can't upload the videos though via Tapatalk.

I've been a member of ASN for fifteen years (and a moderator for three years), and hadn't spotted that before yesterday. :neutral:

Lol. I didn't mention it thinking you knew it and might get offended if I did :). Not only that, if you click on "More Options" and start building the thread you can add images after you've written everything and in between the text. You can then preview and see if the images are where they are supposed to be. It also gives you an option of whether you want to add the images as thumbnails or as large.

Lol. I didn't mention it thinking you knew it and might get offended if I did :). Not only that, if you click on "More Options" and start building the thread you can add images after you've written everything and in between the text. You can then preview and see if the images are where they are supposed to be. It also gives you an option of whether you want to add the images as thumbnails or as large.
I KNEW THAT!!!!!! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

(Errrr......no I didn't.)

Reactions: Keef and V6_Man
I KNEW THAT!!!!!! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

(Errrr......no I didn't.)

I didn't and found out couple of weeks ago. I knew you could add images but didn't know you could add them between texts and preview at the same time :(

There appears to be no cheap way of third party hosting with Photobucket. Maybe they will change their minds when the amount of traffic to the site and number of visitors etc drops substantially.

Yeah l did some further digging on this, and it seems that Photobucket have really screwed themselves (and all their users) with this new policy.

I already have a subscription service - its only for 20GB of storage and costs $35 a year. Well, I'm cancelling that and moving elsewhere, which is a real pain, as the new policy will break all the links I've posted over the past 8 years across multiple forums

Oops! Must be a pain @RAF_S7.

Reactions: RAF_S7
2.1k images for me, but many are on old builds etc. Chances are very few are not used anymore...just a pain as any threads with pics in prior have now lost valuable information that could benefit others.

Just going to download my pics and sort through them if I can be bothered.

Wonder if PB will do a u-turn once they realise the visitor counts dropping!

Reactions: bobby singh, V6_Man and xpoweruk
Yes. If you are using iPhone I simply click on the image icon next to my camera icon and it opens up the photos gallery. Even if you click on the Attachment icon it opens your gallery but only shows you photos.

You can't upload the videos though via Tapatalk.

Yeh me too been doing this since I joined straight from phone nice and easy :sunglasses:

Just reconstructing some of my threads having uploading quite a few pic's to Imgur

Cheers for that Photobucket :wtf:

Reactions: Chop., scotty76 and V6_Man
I suspect if they've done this they are fast running out of money so wouldn't be surprised if they go pop completely soon or go subscription only. Even Amazon are reining in the unlimited photo storage and they make a few quid elsewhere. :)

Reactions: Chop.