Facelift Thinking of some upgrades to my S3 8V FL - help me decide

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my current 2018 FL stage 1 S3, but now that we've added a family runabout to the fleet - and the S3 is garaged - I had been wondering about an RS3. However, there's still a mighty price gap between equivalent age cars (nearly 100% extra on top of S3 trade-in)... so it doesn't seem like a good value option to me.

Instead, I'm looking at upgrading my S3 a little.

I have very subtle tastes and prefer the undercover approach to tuning. I run a campervan as well as the runabout, but the S3 is still a family car and I do long distance business journeys in it. If I do go down the tuning route I'd want something very driveable (torque), reliable and with mods very much "label in" rather than brash and loud.

Help me decide on the following options :)

Option 1 (chassis / looks): subtle (10-20mm) lowering springs, Clubsport discs and decent pads (c.£800-1k)
Option 2 (noise): plus Milltek resonated exhaust system (+£1.7k)
Option 3 (powertrain): plus Revo Stage 2 or similar - with TCU tune, intake, downpipe, intercooler etc (+£4kish)

Which would you go for? I'd really appreciate any views from anyone who's done the more extensive mods and whether there's much value in going for them over my existing Stage 1 setup.

Last edited:
Not really answering your question, but do the club sport discs really do much other than costing a ton more? They do look cool mind you.

Reactions: The Cardinal
I think the S3 at stage 1 is perfect. Mine is a stage 1 FL 2017 3dr hatch and it’s just so reliable and definitely fast enough for a daily to munch up those motorway commuting miles in. I’m fortunate enough to have a sports car as a second car so personally if I were you I would go for perhaps something cosmetic like springs/spacers and 19” alloys (if you don’t have this combo already).

Subtle is the way to got unless you have a burning desire for oodles of power which the EA888 Gen3 is very capable of but you need deep pockets & a trusted tuner to reach sillysonic figures. What about a TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune to compliment your existing Stage 1 ECU tune. Unless you want LOUD stick with the stock exhaust as its a capable system & will handle lots of power. Clubsort front discs would look different but won't offer any advantage over stock, decent pads are where it's at. Springs & shocks would get my vote unless you have magride which you can get recalibrate to make your lowering springs.

The Clubsport discs would be an in-house VAG option, but I would consider others. My front discs and pads likely need replacing in the next year anyway.

I’m mulling all the other options and these good points are all taken. I was out this morning on a route with several tunnels, which was very enjoyable with the stock exhaust alone. It also seems that a Stage 1 S3 will hold off a Model 3 Dual Motor from a standing start… all legal but also enjoyable

Reactions: Alex.S3 and Harvey
I think the S3 at stage 1 is perfect. Mine is a stage 1 FL 2017 3dr hatch and it’s just so reliable and definitely fast enough for a daily to munch up those motorway commuting miles in. I’m fortunate enough to have a sports car as a second car so personally if I were you I would go for perhaps something cosmetic like springs/spacers and 19” alloys (if you don’t have this combo already).
Out of interest did you have to do anything with the gearbox to cope with the extra power from the stage 1 tune?

No, my S-tronic is still standard and it behaves just as great as it always did.

My car has had a software update on the gearbox courtesy of Audi since it was manufactured, but that was done before the remap.

Before doing anything to my S3 I'm going to have a look at this 2016 RS3 that's come up with the same people who sold me the S3. Camo Green Individual paint, Luna silver interior, B&O sound, sports exhaust, mag ride and a few other options.

I'm not 100% sure on whether the colour scheme works with all the black details... and it's obviously a pre-facelift spec, but there's no doubting that it's a unique car.

IMG-60572-large.jpg

Very rare colour & interior would be my understanding for that RS3. Don't blame you for going to view, if it floats your boat go for it...just not quite sure about the interior hmm.

Yep - this is now officially the worst ever "tune my S3" thread. :blush:

IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0412.jpg

IMG-0415.jpg

Just done the deal on this 2016 RS3...

The best and worst thing about it is that it's a totally one-off spec. I wasn't sure before viewing, but it's got real presence in the flesh and I thought it was too good to pass up on this 1-owner (assuming rather mature from the smell of the car), full Audi-history, 23k-mile car. The colour is very hard to capture on camera.

I'll do a proper thread on it when I'm up and running with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100, Rab., Alex.S3 and 2 others
Yep - this is now officially the worst ever "tune my S3" thread. :blush:

IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0412.jpg

IMG-0415.jpg

Just done the deal on this 2016 RS3...

The best and worst thing about it is that it's a totally one-off spec. I wasn't sure before viewing, but it's got real presence in the flesh and I thought it was too good to pass up on this 1-owner (assuming rather mature from the smell of the car), full Audi-history, 23k-mile car. The colour is very hard to capture on camera.

I'll do a proper thread on it when I'm up and running with it.
Very nice - really like the unusual colour and the contrasting interior (might need some good leather cleaner to keep those seats looking like that!)

No, my S-tronic is still standard and it behaves just as great as it always did.

My car has had a software update on the gearbox courtesy of Audi since it was manufactured, but that was done before the remap.
I had the TVS Driveability TCU map installed recently which was a massive improvement and i have been telling myself that the car doesn't need any more power since i bought it but all the reviews i've read on S3's with stage 1 do sound impressive, one concern for me is that the stage 1 torque figures seem to be a little higher than what the standard box is rated for (420nm standard versus about 460-500nm for Revo stage 1)

i have been telling myself that the car doesn't need any more power since i bought it but all the reviews i've read on S3's with stage 1 do sound impressive

If you are even considering it and are cool with getting it insured properly, and warranty / potential wear and tear implications then just get it done. It makes the car so much better. Mine is a kind of stage 1.5 with an intercooler, intake, colder plugs, and an MRC custom tune (exhaust is stock). It's now a very quick car and a huge amount of fun.