Thinking of selling

Its probably the only car you could have chosen that will be more expensive to maintain and will go wrong more than your S3 :) My neighbour has just had a new engine in his at 70k miles. Apparently quite normal.
I’m willing to take that risk! Family members have had them with no problems.

I had an 05MY (facelift if the first gen) JCW before we had kids - loved the car and West London BMW loved me. We only sold it as the pending arrival of child one meant a larger car was required (enter A3 S-Line Sportback 2.0 derv).

However, I’m toying with a small car for running about London (the S3 was meant to be this) and currently it’s between a MY09/10 JCW or an Abarth 595.

My S3 will not be sold - this one’s a keeper!

Last edited:
Reactions: leshkin
I had an 05MY (facelift if the first gen) JCW before we had kids - loved the car and West London BMW loved me. We only sold it as the pending arrival of child one meant a larger car was required (enter A3 S-Line Sportback 2.0 derv).

However, I’m toying with a small car for running about London (the S3 was meant to be this) and currently it’s between a MY09/10 JCW or an Abarth 595.
Ah ok cool. It’s got to be the Mini surely! There were 3 black jcw’s for sale all in Slough bizarrely. I just need to sell the Audi first.

Haha, thinking Abarth to be honest. Like the idea of their auto, soft top. May even settle for the Abarth 500, not the 595.

No way would I trade an 8P S3 for a mini JCW.
They are fun to chuck about even standard and the cooper S we had was a match in the bends for my 8P S3 that had KW clubsports, a pair of H&R anti roll bars and an anti lift kit, but the S3 was the far far better car and engaging with those mods and 2+
The mini would also dance across the road when you hit a bump or a pothole and was very tiring even on non run flats
My mate had a 10 plate JCW at the same time (ironically from Slough mini), he hated the ride and he traded it for a Golf R and loves it.
I'd be buying the B16's for sale on the forum and keeping the S3

My wife has a Mini Cooper S R56 and it's a hoot to drive. Epic little cars, but yeah reliability is pretty poor.

No way would I trade an 8P S3 for a mini JCW.
They are fun to chuck about even standard and the cooper S we had was a match in the bends for my 8P S3 that had KW clubsports, a pair of H&R anti roll bars and an anti lift kit, but the S3 was the far far better car and engaging with those mods and 2+
The mini would also dance across the road when you hit a bump or a pothole and was very tiring even on non run flats
My mate had a 10 plate JCW at the same time (ironically from Slough mini), he hated the ride and he traded it for a Golf R and loves it.
I'd be buying the B16's for sale on the forum and keeping the S3
You hit the nail on the head there, ‘fun’. The Audi is anything but for me.

my 0.02...many cars exist that have the wow factor. You have many options. I purchased my Audi because I like the brand, enjoy this forum and everything that these enthusiasts have offered and I really enjoy tinkering and adding equipment to see how it changes over time. Some peeps like this approach and some want instant gratification. I have nearly all the bells and whistles and I thoroughly enjoy my car and how it handles. Adding front and rear RB's, coils, drop links, subframe bushings, 3 mounts has really transformed this car and I now have that wow factor everytime I drive. I love the look and stance. What really does it for me is the community, the knowledge base and looking for a product, ordering it and waiting for it to arrive gives me a little Christmas throughout the year. I enjoy working on the car and find it therapeutic to my very stressful life. The fun factor is adding a part, critiquing the result and researching another solution if needed. Good luck on your travels

The mini will be like a good holiday, great for a fortnight but then you want to get back to the real world. That's if it goes a fortnight without breaking down :)

I agree it is a great forum, the best I’ve been on in the car world. I just fancy a change. Who’s to say I won’t be back in an Audi one day!

The mini will be like a good holiday, great for a fortnight but then you want to get back to the real world. That's if it goes a fortnight without breaking down :)
Sorry Paddy but I don’t agree. I had an ep3 civic type r and that had a very firm ride. Didn’t really bother me at all. Also, any car can go wrong, even Audi’s believe it or not!