Thinking of selling the s3!

according to vag-com i made peak boost on my s3 at 3750rpm (1.6bar).This was with a heafty spring on the actuator!!
Forget the fq400 edward ,you can do alot better for alot less.There going for around 25k.I'd go for a e5/e6 with autronics about £10k,then you can have a forged 2.3l stroker built with your choice of cams delivered for £5k delivered then a couple of grand for a gt3076r/gt35 kit will give you over 500-600bhp. You might be able to pick one up already done for £15k.That would make the s3 feel like a mini metro.

edward_harris said:
oh and mine dosent spooll up till around 4k!

Something's not right there. I know a BT has more lag, but 4k?

Ryanc said:
I can't see a set of injectors and a inlet manifold improving spool .
I agree with your comment about cars with 330-350 roughly weighing the same not whipping each other in a straightline race thats pretty obvious,but on the twisties is a different matter.I could easily put together a e6+ that is capable of 30-130mph in 13.9 seconds a mid 11 second 1/4 for less than what edward has paid,approx 430bhp 420lb/t and that would be noticably quicker.
Mine was the first with them fitted. They did a back to back with them, first the big bosch greens, then the "new" ones, (bit secret but of German origin!!). Same car, same day same rollers, the effect of the different spray pattern was spooling 300rpm earlier! And 2 degrees extra timing available which no doubt helped the spool massively.
Also cures the occasional cold start issues with the big injectors on IHI et al 18Ts. Mine starts perfectly in all conditions, well coldest its been since done was 3 degrees, but the regular injectors would give some marginal fluffiness cold start problems when cooler or bene left to stand for a while.

Anyway, it sure makes a difference.
I dont doubt that start with an evo and throw 8k at it and you'd have a monster, but Ed's already got his s3 done, and will lose a lot of his spend if he sells it.
Compare and Evo that he may pay with what he would get for hsi s3 and it may not be such a margin performace wise, if it were he'd be compromising other things, age, miles, and the normal evo compromises, (ie lairy looking, twoc attracting, liveable with but hardly inspiring interior! )

Ed, you say yours spools at 4k revs?? Is that full spool or the beginnings of spool.....? If its full spool, that's about right, but if its only just starting there, I think you have an issue. I would check your dv, maybe put a stock one on it! ! !
Also what fuel do you use, mine is only optimax or tesco 99 ron now. Was mapped accordingly.

simch was yours mapped by jabba? Mine ran a very lairy timing map and had no cold start problems.
I've never regretted selling my s3,i have a new passat that makes my s3 feel dated and unsmooth for daily driving and a have my evo for weekends and trackdays which is dynamically far superior than the s3. Depends if you can afford 2 cars i guess. I certainly wouldn't want to commute and do town driving of 10k+ miles a year in my evo thats for sure.

Its only some of the BT cars that have the fumbled starting from cold. The other injectors made a real difference. Also had a new ally intake pipe and a few other developed parts too. Just makes for a nicer more reliable conversion, does not add much if anything to the peak power, but then they are pretty ok as a fast road car.
Was impressed by it on track too at the recent cc day. Should be even better now after some set up tweaks and some srf fluid to stop the brakes boiling!

I suppose that is the difference between a BT and an Evo.....10k miles would not be a concern in a sensibly mapped BT s3! I am sure the evo would handle it reliably too, but would be harder to live with day to day.
I nearly bought an FQ 340 before getting my stock s3 and embarking on the modding work. I thought it was a near perfect car for me to be honest, apart form one thing...the nightmare of trying to keep the theives at bay! Insurance was a mare, s3 with all mods is less than half an evo quote. Plus, even in the subtle grey colour, I could see every man and his dog having a pop at you out there! Needed something I could run every day and go pretty much anywhere in reason, (eg leave at the airport for a week) and unfortunately the evo would always cause me to worry!

4k is full spool, starts to wind up about 3k i guess, i always use 99 tesco, but it was mapped on v power, I use a van everyday in the week so it's not a major problem having a evo or something like that!

i can't see how the injectors can make that much difference,are they bigger than 440cc's? or a different spray pattern?I find running a bigger turbo at lower boost alot much controllable than the delivery of the ihi which was very on/off.The peak power of the vf34/p20 cannot be increased over 350bhp because the size of the compressor and if your running a smallport head and standard cams you will be lucky to get over 335bhp.Personally i think the s3 is too heavy handles too much like a fwd car.I'm sure a fq340 would be fine as a everyday road car but i personally would rather use it for what it was built for.my evo insurance is the same as my s3 with mods,as for leaving it somewhere i agree it is a worry but i hardly ever do that as it's a dedicated sunday/trackday car.My brembos with ds2500 pads seem to do the trick although i may get some ap's in the future.The evo has alot more potential than a s3,420bhp is doable on ihi money.Anyway enjoy your car perhaps i can catch up with you sometime on track! P.s do you still have the sticker on your maf!!!

simch said:
Its only some of the BT cars that have the fumbled starting from cold. The other injectors made a real difference. Also had a new ally intake pipe and a few other developed parts too. Just makes for a nicer more reliable conversion, does not add much if anything to the peak power, but then they are pretty ok as a fast road car.
Was impressed by it on track too at the recent cc day. Should be even better now after some set up tweaks and some srf fluid to stop the brakes boiling!

I suppose that is the difference between a BT and an Evo.....10k miles would not be a concern in a sensibly mapped BT s3! I am sure the evo would handle it reliably too, but would be harder to live with day to day.
I nearly bought an FQ 340 before getting my stock s3 and embarking on the modding work. I thought it was a near perfect car for me to be honest, apart form one thing...the nightmare of trying to keep the theives at bay! Insurance was a mare, s3 with all mods is less than half an evo quote. Plus, even in the subtle grey colour, I could see every man and his dog having a pop at you out there! Needed something I could run every day and go pretty much anywhere in reason, (eg leave at the airport for a week) and unfortunately the evo would always cause me to worry!

Ryanc said:
i can't see how the injectors can make that much difference,are they bigger than 440cc's? or a different spray pattern?I find running a bigger turbo at lower boost alot much controllable than the delivery of the ihi which was very on/off.The peak power of the vf34/p20 cannot be increased over 350bhp because the size of the compressor and if your running a smallport head and standard cams you will be lucky to get over 335bhp.Personally i think the s3 is too heavy handles too much like a fwd car.I'm sure a fq340 would be fine as a everyday road car but i personally would rather use it for what it was built for.my evo insurance is the same as my s3 with mods,as for leaving it somewhere i agree it is a worry but i hardly ever do that as it's a dedicated sunday/trackday car.My brembos with ds2500 pads seem to do the trick although i may get some ap's in the future.The evo has alot more potential than a s3,420bhp is doable on ihi money.Anyway enjoy your car perhaps i can catch up with you sometime on track! P.s do you still have the sticker on your maf!!!

Sticker on my MAF??.....not sure what you mean....? And yes they are different spray pattern do make a noticeable difference to spool. Just allow the motor to be more efficent off boost, and hence flow more air to allow earlier spool.
Opposite effect as retarding the igintion unduly, will make the car laggier as its less efficient off boost so flows less air, so increases the spool rpm.

simch said:
Sticker on my MAF??.....not sure what you mean....? And yes they are different spray pattern do make a noticeable difference to spool. Just allow the motor to be more efficent off boost, and hence flow more air to allow earlier spool.
Opposite effect as retarding the igintion unduly, will make the car laggier as its less efficient off boost so flows less air, so increases the spool rpm.

Forgive my ignorace, but are you suggesting there is now a third option for spray patterns? There's the standard one that seems generic for all cars, then there's the split spray pattern that should be used on VAG engines, but are you saying that you are using a different spray pattern to these???

lol, ill buy yours dave - ill swap you my a3 which is worth about 10p(according to parkers.co.uk) + another 10p

If you have had your car mapped by jabba i would imagine they would have "scaled" the maf by fitting a big sticker on the maf so the maf will read lower .

sorry to butt in! just thought i would let you guys no, I'm going to try a evo + a sti impreza, i didn't really want a impreza but after going in them i fall in love! looking at a 2003 sti for about £12000 then get a larger turbo + front mount, straight through exhaust and a remap, try get somewhere near 450bhp, should be very quick indeed!
Also I'm going to try sell my car as it is, if no response, ill change it back to standard as i have the old parts, IE brakes etc, leave the big turbo on it, change back to the twin intercoolers and mapp it to around 265bhp so it feels like a standard! hopefully that will work so i dont lose so much! then sell the bits on there own. Would my front mount fit on anything else apart from my car?!

my mate has a 2003 sti with the ppp kit not a bad motor ,anything over 330bhp is expensive,it's runs a vf35 turbo(sound familiar!) same as a vf34 but with a p15 exhaust housing instead of a p18/p20.450bhp in a 03 sti will cost you £9,500. Personally i'd go for a e8 fq300 mr cams/10.5t housing usual bolt on's exhaust/filter/plugs/fuel pump/remap. 400+bhp 380lb/t ,£2,000 fitted.

edward_harris said:
sorry to butt in! just thought i would let you guys no, I'm going to try a evo + a sti impreza, i didn't really want a impreza but after going in them i fall in love! looking at a 2003 sti for about £12000 then get a larger turbo + front mount, straight through exhaust and a remap, try get somewhere near 450bhp, should be very quick indeed!
Also I'm going to try sell my car as it is, if no response, ill change it back to standard as i have the old parts, IE brakes etc, leave the big turbo on it, change back to the twin intercoolers and mapp it to around 265bhp so it feels like a standard! hopefully that will work so i dont lose so much! then sell the bits on there own. Would my front mount fit on anything else apart from my car?!

Ryanc said:
If you have had your car mapped by jabba i would imagine they would have "scaled" the maf by fitting a big sticker on the maf so the maf will read lower .

No sticker that I can see. Where is it if there is one and do you mean litterally a bit of tape or something..? Is it fitted over the wire or something.

Cannot see a sticker hanging on in the airflow!!

ChriS3 said:
Forgive my ignorace, but are you suggesting there is now a third option for spray patterns? There's the standard one that seems generic for all cars, then there's the split spray pattern that should be used on VAG engines, but are you saying that you are using a different spray pattern to these???

They're different to the stock 440 bosch green tops that are normally used. Not sure how the spray pattern differs to the ones you describe.

They are a little bit bigger than 440s too, but only a tad, its the spray pattern that seems to allow more mid range timing and hence more efficient flow and earlier spool.

the maf has a screen and yes it is a physical bit of tape.Do you have vag-com? what is your peak maf reading?

But surely fitting tape to the maf screen just reduces the flow through the MAF? Nothing on mine from what I can see.