Thinking of ordering Audi A3 S/B 1.4 COD S-Line

audiblue

Reaction score
Looking into the option of buying an A3 Sportback. I think I have narrowed the choice down to the 1.4 COD (150) engine with the automatic gearbox. (Maybe I am getting old, but I really can't be bothered changing gear any more...)

Think the S-Line is preferable to the Sport as a) didn't really like the trim on the sport and b) wanted Xenon headlights - as I live in the backside of no where, so often driving down unlit lanes.

Options wise was thinking heated seats, comfort pack, SD Navigation and folding mirrors.

Is there anything else I really ought to spec...? Was wondering about whther to go for the full Technology Pack instead of just the SD Nav. From what I can gather from the Audi site, the improvements look pretty incremental. Is it really £1000 better....?

Final question - getting hold of one. What is the likely delivery times on these. The local dealer reckons for a factory order you are looking at March for delivery. I suppose I could wait that long if I have to - but just wondered are six month waits still typical for this sort of car..? Should I be trying a different dealer...?

And then there is the colour. Daytona Grey, Metallic Black or Scuba Blue?

Decisions decisions....any thoughts...?

If you're having to stick to a budget, get SD nav and consider using the spare cash to upgrade to Audi sound system. I have tech pack and really like it but others are perfectly happy with SD nav. You can read the 1,000,000 threads on this argument if you have time!

Very similar to the choice to the car i have on order ... and in 7days time i'll be able to share my thoughts! :audibash:

Mine will have been 81days from order to delivery.

Just go and sit in a car with SD Nav and one with Tech Pack and then compare
You like that tech pack I must say! Well, I bit the bullet and went tech pack - minus connect, just couldn't go that far and wouldn't use it. When it came down to it I'd already spent enough on getting the car the way I wanted it so figured skimping on the thing I'll probably use most didn't seem right. I also wanted the extra storage that came with it so I didn't have to rely on bluetooth for music.

Reactions: The Challinor
I have the 1.4 (150) S-Line. I would suggest you consider the no cost option of SE suspension (deselect sport suspension) as it is much more comfortable than sport suspension. The tech pack is good. I'd also suggest upgrading the sound system. The B&O is fabulous but if you can't stretch to that go for the upgraded Audi one.

Reactions: glospete
You like that tech pack I must say! Well, I bit the bullet and went tech pack - minus connect, just couldn't go that far and wouldn't use it. When it came down to it I'd already spent enough on getting the car the way I wanted it so figured skimping on the thing I'll probably use most didn't seem right. I also wanted the extra storage that came with it so I didn't have to rely on bluetooth for music.

I've aired my thoughts at length on the standard system, glad you've upgraded mate. I also went connect as I feel it adds a lot and B and O but i agree you have to stop somewhere.

The 7" screen is also a heck of a lot nicer.

Reactions: The Challinor
Thanks for the feedback - all very helpful.

The Tech Pack does sound like it is very nice to have - and maybe if I was still driving 20k / year it would be worth having - but driving less now - maybe it is not so essential. One question - Traffic Jam Warnings - am I right in thinking this comes on both systems...?

At risk of opening up another sore debate, but might take the advice about the SE suspension. The demo car I drove had Sport suspension on 18" wheels - and while it dealt with pot holes and speed bumps just fine, it felt oddly tremulous at higher speed. The added suspension height is another factor - lost count how many times I have heard the sounds of plastic grounding expensively on my current sport-sprung car...

Upgraded sound was not something I had thought about. Is it that the upgrade is blindingy good - or is it that the standard stereo is a bit tinny..? Previous experience suggests VAG products are a bit hit and miss in the sound-system stakes. Is the A3 one of the better efforts..?

Looking into the option of buying an A3 Sportback. I think I have narrowed the choice down to the 1.4 COD (150) engine with the automatic gearbox. (Maybe I am getting old, but I really can't be bothered changing gear any more...)

Think the S-Line is preferable to the Sport as a) didn't really like the trim on the sport and b) wanted Xenon headlights - as I live in the backside of no where, so often driving down unlit lanes.

Options wise was thinking heated seats, comfort pack, SD Navigation and folding mirrors.

Is there anything else I really ought to spec...? Was wondering about whther to go for the full Technology Pack instead of just the SD Nav. From what I can gather from the Audi site, the improvements look pretty incremental. Is it really £1000 better....?

Final question - getting hold of one. What is the likely delivery times on these. The local dealer reckons for a factory order you are looking at March for delivery. I suppose I could wait that long if I have to - but just wondered are six month waits still typical for this sort of car..? Should I be trying a different dealer...?

And then there is the colour. Daytona Grey, Metallic Black or Scuba Blue?

Decisions decisions....any thoughts...?

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Hope you enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks for the feedback - all very helpful.

The Tech Pack does sound like it is very nice to have - and maybe if I was still driving 20k / year it would be worth having - but driving less now - maybe it is not so essential. One question - Traffic Jam Warnings - am I right in thinking this comes on both systems...?

At risk of opening up another sore debate, but might take the advice about the SE suspension. The demo car I drove had Sport suspension on 18" wheels - and while it dealt with pot holes and speed bumps just fine, it felt oddly tremulous at higher speed. The added suspension height is another factor - lost count how many times I have heard the sounds of plastic grounding expensively on my current sport-sprung car...

Upgraded sound was not something I had thought about. Is it that the upgrade is blindingy good - or is it that the standard stereo is a bit tinny..? Previous experience suggests VAG products are a bit hit and miss in the sound-system stakes. Is the A3 one of the better efforts..?

1. TMC (Traffic Message Channel) comes with both systems I believe. But with Connect you get an additional traffic jam warning system which I find better to see on the screen although I’m not sure whether it gives you better information.

2. On the suspension question yes there are numerous opinions because we all want something different from our cars. My advice is to try as many combinations as possible (I doubt that you’ll go for S-Line suspension which is apparently really hard but suits some drivers). I tried a number of cars and finally decided on the “deselect Sport suspension” option and this suits my wife and me. I’m not worried that the car looks slightly higher on its suspension (I can't see it!) – a good comfort/handling compromise was my priority but others will have different opinions.

3. Sound system – the standard system was not an option for me as I wanted better sound in my car. Again the Audi Sound System (***) suits me but others are happy to pay the extra to get the B&O. Once again try them if you can and judge for yourself.

Reactions: snakehips
I second everything Pete says.
You do get TMC on both tech packs and even without Connect it shows the jams on the map though not in so much detail.
I too have SE suspension. Same reasons as Pete (and I need to clear a ridge when entering my driveway that would be too close for comfort with Sport).
Re sound, it's a bit of both: the *** is a good upgrade (not blinding though) and the standard is a bit pants for anyone who likes their music. So I suggest it is well worth it. I have B&O, which is my favourite feature of the entire car, but *** is pretty good too.

***, mono pur and LED interior lights are a must IMHO

The system with connect also features online traffic ( google maps data ) so it arguably better then just the radio based alert system.

Would I pay just for that feature, probably not but its a good traffic system to have.

As package makes its much more desirable as it adds a lot.

The system with connect also features online traffic ( google maps data ) so it arguably better then just the radio based alert system.

Would I pay just for that feature, probably not but its a good traffic system to have.

Internet forum heresay at work again. You don't get Google traffic. You get INRIX traffic.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/colour-coding-on-google-maps-traffic.221080/#post-2203230

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mmi-high-and-traffic-announcements.223199/#post-2224049

Both systems (Tech Pack with and without Connect) will display the same amount of traffic info (same source and database) but only Connect will draw the different coloured roads in. Non connect will hatch the sides of the roads in red and display icons. Both systems display a list. Both will dynamically re-route.

Your car doesn't use Google maps.

It uses TeleAtlas/Navteq/HERE maps.

It just has a Google Earth and Steet View overlay, if you have connect.

All traffic info, Connect or no Connect, comes from INRIX. Re crowd sourcing info, read the links previously posted.

Your car doesn't use Google maps.

It uses TeleAtlas/Navteq/HERE maps.

It just has a Google Earth and Steet View overlay, if you have connect.

All traffic info, Connect or no Connect, comes from INRIX. Re crowd sourcing info, read the links previously posted.

I'll take a read,

Nokia maps! Think the here app is coming back to smartphones soon.

OK. I cited HERE only because they bought out Navteq.

TeleAtlas (now owned by Tom Tom) and Navteq (now owned by Nokia/HERE) are the two major map providers for automotive Nav systems in EUR and NAS. JAP and OCE regions are a different kettle of fish altogether.

The JAP market is very advanced, their 3D map data provides data to the gearbox (Aisin), so that the car knows when it's approaching a bend, or steep incline, and the gearbox will shift down accordingly in anticipation.

It's an awesome system to drive, it eliminates the issue with S-tronic where it kicks down mid corner when you're accelerating out of it (shifts down before corner entry), and also joining/leaving highways with cloverleaf intersections - it gear matches, because it knows you're trying to accelerate to match the highway speed, or decelerate to exit the ramp.

Last edited: