Thinking of keep S3 long term

musicegbdf

Reaction score
Ok , might seem an odd thread . I have a PFL S3 my16.
With the options I had put on it is everything I could want of a car . I have the five year warranty , and expect only to have done 30k miles at five years.
The only criticism is the gearbox which understand is much better on the FL. Though seems to be some cost cutting on the current model. Really dislike that the S3 has been taken off the seats and a few other downgrades .
Anyway , seriously considering keeping past five years . Does anyone else keep theirs for longer periods ?

Reactions: Jimbob76 and davc
Mine is upto 3 years now /30k miles. I was considering changing next year to a face-lift and getting a better spec, ie. Sunroof, virtual cockpit and the FL sounds better. But changing would cost however many thousand and probably isn't worth it. So for now atleast I'm going to sit tight. I don't see myself keeping it long term, but I've not owned a car for more than 3 years (I'm only 24).

So might keep it till its 5 and then reevaluate as the FL market will be better and the new model might be out or whatever.

Reactions: Lehn
I, like you am happy with my current PFL car, just paid off the car this week after 4 year pcp from new and will wait to see what the new S3 will look like.

Reactions: Jimbob76
Had my S3 since new in 2014.
Nothing else really grabs me unless you double the (european) price. Fast enough, discreet, reliable, annual servicing.
When it gets a clean (annually) it still comes up shiny, never been one to chase a number plate or face lift.
So much change in the car market over the next 3years I intend waiting until the dust settles (unless there is a new M4 coupe..........:))

Reactions: davc
I sold my S3 just before it was 3 years old, if I could turn back the clock to when I bought it new, I'd go for an easier colour to look after (it was black), put a 5 year warranty on it and keep it for 5 years. I've had this A5 coupe for almost 17 months and I'm only on 4,500 mile! Next car will be a downsize, extended warranty and I'll be keeping it for 5 years...it would still then only have 16,000 miles on it!!!

Reactions: Sandra
Ok , might seem an odd thread . I have a PFL S3 my16.
With the options I had put on it is everything I could want of a car . I have the five year warranty , and expect only to have done 30k miles at five years.
The only criticism is the gearbox which understand is much better on the FL. Though seems to be some cost cutting on the current model. Really dislike that the S3 has been taken off the seats and a few other downgrades .
Anyway , seriously considering keeping past five years . Does anyone else keep theirs for longer periods ?

My S3 is 4 years old next week, and 30k on the clock. I normally change cars every 2-3 years but not on this occasion. Several reasons for this.

• I work from home so don't drive the car every day, so I'm not bored with it
  • Still a good looking car, and as only 30k on the clock still feels fresh
  • To swap to something on a par, or even upgrade would cost double what my car is currently worth. Do I really think a new car that's no better than the car I have is really worth the price of 2 second hand well specced S3's? No.
  • Lack of manual gearbox on anything remotely sporty in this class or above.
I'll definitely be keeping the S3 all this year and possible next year too. It's so good an all rounder (but not great) it's hard to replace. With the lack of anything that fits what I require in a car (AWD, manual, 300bhp+) there is nothing on sale today. I'm going to either hold out for the next Focus RS, or downgrade to a Fiesta ST (or RS if they build one).

For me, car's are becoming increasing boring, mainly due to Auto everything. And everything is much the same now. I subscribe to EVO Magazine, and every month they have another 1000bhp+ supercar review, or a £150k+ sports car than Joe public would never get even if they can afford one, as they don't buy enough cars from that manufacturer to be eligible. I simple skip by the review as I'm not interested in the slightest about a car that'll never see the light of day on the road.

I think the 90's and 00's were the best years for car nuts. The array of hot hatches, sports saloons, Rally reps etc were fantastic. Cars had feedback through the steering. Gearboxes that felt great to use, and suspension set-up to be sporty yet subtle enough to live with day to day.

I may be getting all Victor Meldrew, but sometimes the past was the better times.

Reactions: MikeParkin, Mythos, KenL and 5 others
Very similar thoughts with me as noted by @wab172uk above :icon thumright:

Had my car 3 years from new.
Nothing else grabs me - other than the same again - and don't see the point in spending £thousands getting the same again.
Car is in superb condition, low miles, still makes me smile so very happy to keep it at least another year, maybe longer.
I will wait to see what the next gen S3 is like, as can't see me spending over £50k on a next gen RS3 when they eventually come out.
I bought my car before the £40k tax thing too, so my road tax is only £260 per year atm too.

Reactions: pburv
Well that is very interesting . I am not alone . Mine is Daytona and left the showroom and straight into a pro detailer . I have kept on top of the paintwork and it looks brand new .
At about 18k miles it feel like it is performing better and giving crazy good economy for a AWD 300 bhp family car .
I too think I will wait for the new model and give that at least a year for the bugs to be sorted and discounts improving . By then mine will be 6/7 years old .
I also drive a 50 year old mgb gt . That takes some driving ! A totally different experience . Cheap insurance , no road tax , no emission charges , no mot needed ( though I get one for my own safety).
Again , very interested that there are others of the same mind . Nothing else out there floats my boat .

Reactions: MikeParkin and Flying Scotsman
I bought mine with the intention of running it into the ground like my last 3.2 quattro. As said above it can be great on fuel, quick, fairly practical, cheap tax, and is a cool looking motor.
My only concern is just how complex these engines are, I had no idea before I bought it, and whether repair bills will just end up being crazy. Everything on it seems to cost a bomb or cant be fixed very easily.
At least with the 3.2 it was relatively unstressed NA engine so not too much to go wrong. It was annoying stuff like wiper motors, fans, window motors etc , a few sensors, coil packs, etc that failed and once all fixed it barely missed a beat for years. Not convinced this S3 will offer the same level of reliability.

I bought mine with the intention of running it into the ground like my last 3.2 quattro. As said above it can be great on fuel, quick, fairly practical, cheap tax, and is a cool looking motor.
My only concern is just how complex these engines are, I had no idea before I bought it, and whether repair bills will just end up being crazy. Everything on it seems to cost a bomb or cant be fixed very easily.
At least with the 3.2 it was relatively unstressed NA engine so not too much to go wrong. It was annoying stuff like wiper motors, fans, window motors etc , a few sensors, coil packs, etc that failed and once all fixed it barely missed a beat for years. Not convinced this S3 will offer the same level of reliability.
Yes that is the worry . Though compare to depreciation and finding a good indie could help . I keeping thinking about the Dsg gearbox , but seems it has been in use for some time .
Though as you say it is some of the smaller things that could cost .
It is funny when I compare to my MG. Parts are so cheap and fully available . Complete engine around £1500 and can be replaced by most DIY mechanics.
My last A3 I had rear brake light failure . So thought ok will replace the bulb ... no it is a led unit . £500 fitted ! Thankfully , still in warranty .
Right now my S3 seems to have found its sweet spot .

Mine will be 4 yrs old in 2 wks and about to hit 50k miles and have no plans to get rid of it right now.

I have been looking at pre wltp rs3 saloons but haven't found any in a colour I like with the same spec as mine and I'm not holding my breath finding one, so I'm staying put.

So yeah, I'm planning to keep mine for a longer period.

I am also planning to keep mine for a good while yet. Mine is now 2.5 years old and 24,000 miles. I don’t really see the point in spending many thousands on a newer S3 that now has a particulate filter, less power and doesn’t sound as good as mine. I do share the concerns regarding the car’s complexity and worry a bit that it may become a money pit when the warranty expires (4 years). If I suddenly found myself in much better financial circumstances I might swap it for an RS3 or an S3 cabriolet but neither are as practical for me.

I bought my MY14 just over 6 months ago at 3.5 years old with 44k miles on. I'm intending to keep it for at least 5 years (incidentally, the length of my loan repayments!), unless something drastic changes.
I would suggest the extended/approved used warranty, my car has already 2 fairly large jobs through this (thermostat housing leak and replacement of airbag control module).

I pretty much seem to be the opposite of everyone else on the thread, my is 3 years old this month and I have changed. The warranty obviously runs out this month and will need extending, another new set of tyres will be required in a few months as will a set of brakes. The car has just clocked over 45k, it’s costing me less to change that it would to extend the warranty and carry out the other jobs, so it was a no brainier for me to change.

Reactions: Damo S and wab172uk
I pretty much seem to be the opposite of everyone else on the thread, my is 3 years old this month and I have changed. The warranty obviously runs out this month and will need extending, another new set of tyres will be required in a few months as will a set of brakes. The car has just clocked over 45k, it’s costing me less to change that it would to extend the warranty and carry out the other jobs, so it was a no brainier for me to change.

I suppose a lot depends on whether the car is leased or bought outright. In my case I bought it outright.

My S3 is just over four years old. Apart from a haldex pump throwing a code (since changed) it has been trouble free. I had thought of changing car when it was 3 years old more as a habit but other than an RS3, cannot think of any other car than meet my requirements. So we are holding it for another year and see what interesting car appears on the market.

^^ what my mate Victor said.............for me manual gearbox all the way.
Hard to see past a Fiesta ST (mountune to 220bhp) or Fiesta RS for fun times rather than a devastatingly effective German express.
With the size and prices of cars only going up (I bought outright which I do think impacts attitude) makes me think my 3dr is pretty much the ideal size. Can't be long before a relatively low spec next S3 tops £40k list?

My haldex pump as replaced at 4.5years and other than that been a solid purchase.

Reactions: MikeParkin and wab172uk
Mine is upto 3 years now /30k miles. I was considering changing next year to a face-lift and getting a better spec, ie. Sunroof, virtual cockpit and the FL sounds better. But changing would cost however many thousand and probably isn't worth it. So for now atleast I'm going to sit tight. I don't see myself keeping it long term, but I've not owned a car for more than 3 years (I'm only 24).

So might keep it till its 5 and then reevaluate as the FL market will be better and the new model might be out or whatever.

what's your insurance costs out of interest?

you can keep these beyond 5 years, aftermarket warranty covering any UK Audi rate, to unlimited value (Make sure you cover wear and tear) for about £600-800 a year, Quite expensive I know but cheaper than an engine or DSG issue. but as above - one faulty light is close to that.

Reactions: HertS3
Never thought I would but find myself in the same position. Was going to keep it for 3 years absolute max,was ready to pull the trigger on an s5 but just couldn't fall in love with that front end. Ordered a velar that was due for delivery last month but cancelled that as well. S3 definitely isn't perfect but its a great all rounder and there's nothing that makes me want to change.

Only issue I have now is that I know how expensive things can get out of warranty and I'm doing double the miles traveling for a new job now!

Never thought I would but find myself in the same position. Was going to keep it for 3 years absolute max,was ready to pull the trigger on an s5 but just couldn't fall in love with that front end. Ordered a velar that was due for delivery last month but cancelled that as well. S3 definitely isn't perfect but its a great all rounder and there's nothing that makes me want to change.

Only issue I have now is that I know how expensive things can get out of warranty and I'm doing double the miles traveling for a new job now!

Buy a cheap daily hack, and keep the S3 for weekends.

Following this thread with much interest. I usually keep my cars for about 3 years then replace, but this time I've pretty much decided I'm going to keep my S3 for a few more years. It'll be three in September, it has had no major problems, 23,000 and the only cost ( not including depreciation of course!) will be a set of new tyres in the not too distant future.

I spec'ed the car myself, so it has all the extra bits I want/like, is comfortable, quick, looks good and there isn't anything I can see I would like to replace it with. I wouldn't want the 2019 model with its 300bhp and from what Ive seen of the new model coming out soon, not keen on that either, so maybe the FL is the sweet spot?

Warranty is the one thing that concerns me - expires in Sept 19 - does anyone have any recommendations? I'll get a quote from Audi when the time comes, but I have a feeling that will be prohibitive though I may be surprised. I had thought I would have to fork our for an Audi Connect licence, but pleasantly surprised following a conversation with Customer Service who told me to call nearer the date and they'll extend it, and they will do the same in 2020 too!

I've got official extended warranty on a 2014 car for £66 per month, yours would most likely be cheaper as the car is newer

Reactions: Peter1201
I've got official extended warranty on a 2014 car for £66 per month, yours would most likely be cheaper as the car is newer

Thanks for the info. I have to say, £66 seems OK. I'd prefer for go down official Audi route if possible/sensible. I'll have to wait a while for a quote, the Audi web site tells me I'm already covered and won't go further.

Yeah it's not bad considering mine has most likely paid out £2,000 this year!

Reactions: Peter1201
Mines is 2 years old with 8k on the clock iv did that much and really enjoy it I plan on keeping it till the death tbh but things change so can only wait and see

Thanks for the info. I have to say, £66 seems OK. I'd prefer for go down official Audi route if possible/sensible. I'll have to wait a while for a quote, the Audi web site tells me I'm already covered and won't go further.

I received a quote just before I got rid of mine, it was around £430 for the year.

I’m an odd fish, in this day-and-age of short-term leasing deals, I know, but I get a real kick out of owning and keeping a car longer term. Had my last car (SEAT Leon 2.0 TFSI Sport BTCC Limited Edition) for 10 years, and it still looked mint (and was mechanically A1) when I traded it in for the S3. Consequently I got a great price for it and depreciation only worked out at about £1k a year. Admittedly my annual mileage is low (c. 6k), but show me a PCP deal on a new car you’d actually be proud to own that costs less than 3x that per year on a 3 year deal and you’ve done well for yourself.

It’s pretty easy to own a good looking new car and keep it looking good for 2 or 3 years. It’s MUCH harder, and a challenge I relish, to keep that fresh out the factory look going for as long as you can.

I saw a Mk2 Golf GTI 3 door, in Tornado Red (paint was stunning), big bumpers, with original, mint, BBS wheels the other day. Not messed about with or modified in any way. I had a chat with the owner - guy in his late 50’s who’d had it from NEW, so had owned it for about 28 years - so about a half of his entire life. It was immaculate. I enjoyed seeing that more, and had so much more respect for the owner and the car, than the ‘19 plate Porsche 911 I saw on the drive home tonight.

I’m at a stage of life now (wife, kids, etc), where I have practical considerations to contend with. But that doesn’t mean I have to ‘give up’ on what excites me when it comes to cars. I’d rather walk than drive a Peugeot 3008/bland SUV, and for 95% of the time I don’t need an SUV or estate car. For me, my FL S3 Sportback (importantly with roof rails, hence my ‘Roof Rails Enthusiast’ moniker), is the sensible family car I want to drive. Most of the time it’s a rip-roaring hot-hatch. But when I need it, I can drop a roof box on top and I’ve got more load lugging capacity than an A6 Avant. I’ve had it for a year now, and I’m intending to keep it for 10 (like the last one). It will still look and behave aces when I eventually trade it in. Yes there are probably more track focussed, sharper handling hot-hatches out there, but my S3 is the right package for me. I’m looking forward to people looking at it and thinking ‘that’s a nice old car’.

Old Faithful:
AC847948 35B6 4B2D 940E AACDA9A2E251

New Faithful:
D5159649 23F6 4287 BD08 B575A1D146CF

...and not the one I saw, but an example of the gorgeous Mk2 GTI I saw the other day...
CAD59972 CB7B 4A2C AFE6 561037E658F6

Long term ownership can be a VERY satisfying thing, if you do your research, forward plan, buy the right car, and enjoy looking after it :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Reactions: AshyMarvel, rvtb101, Pook and 5 others
My plan from when I purchased my S3 was to keep it, it’s always been semi for sale at the right price but I think I would be very disappointed if it went.

It’s 4 years old this year and would think it would have around 25k on it so don’t really see me changing it, also changing it to something better and faster would be quite difficult.

What I love about the S3 (manual) and any S3 is how versatile these cars are, I’ve had hot hatch’s and you can’t really beat them for everyday use.

On the other side you can modify these to be a very entertaining and enjoyable car indeed.

Reactions: Jimbob76
Yep - nice and sedate on the school run but stick it in S (for us auto drivers) and have some fun :)

Reactions: Jimbob76 and MikeParkin
Warranty is the one thing that concerns me - expires in Sept 19 - does anyone have any recommendations? I'll get a quote from Audi when the time comes, but I have a feeling that will be prohibitive though I may be surprised. I had thought I would have to fork our for an Audi Connect licence, but pleasantly surprised following a conversation with Customer Service who told me to call nearer the date and they'll extend it, and they will do the same in 2020 too!

After my 3 year warranty expired, I paid around £460 for an extended 1 year warranty. Not a single issue with the car over that following year.

Came to renew it this year, and given it's 4 years old now, the warranty shot up to £800. Couple things that annoyed me. First, the price. Almost double that of the previous year. Second, was at the time of looking at the warranty price, I'd had no reminder from Audi. So when I logged on for a quote, I only had 2 days to decide, as they now don't allow you to renew if it within 30 days of expiry.

Given it's not a daily, and only does about 6000 miles a year, I decided not to renew this year. It could come back to bite me, but that's the chance you take.

Last edited:
That is quite a jump - and roughly what I'm paying, though mine's paid for itself and some in a couple of repairs required (airbag module replacement and leaking thermostat housing). Most likely I will continue the warranty for now and see how it goes, assuming that the price doesn't shoot up next year due to the claims.

@wab172uk hopefully your decision was the right one, it's always a gamble.

That is quite a jump - and roughly what I'm paying, though mine's paid for itself and some in a couple of repairs required (airbag module replacement and leaking thermostat housing). Most likely I will continue the warranty for now and see how it goes, assuming that the price doesn't shoot up next year due to the claims.

@wab172uk hopefully your decision was the right one, it's always a gamble.

It is. I ran my old R8 for 2 years without a warranty, and nothing more than routine servicing was required.

If my S3 develops a costly repair bill, and if Audi didn't contribute in some way given it's mileage and full Audi service history, it'd be booked into WeBuyanycar or similar, sold, and I'd go out and buy new Fiesta ST with the funds.

normally much cheaper to fix it than pay depreciation on a new car (and order any fundamentals from a Skoda/VW garage instead).
if you are keeping it just treat it with a little respect, machines prefer to be used than sit still.
still can't see any 45k-50k car being worth nearly 3 times what my 30k mile S3 is, I shouldn't go any faster than I already do so in reality don't see the point, mine still looks new inside and out (after its annual wash).
30k miles, 5years old, only non service item replaced was haldex pump which was under 300quid.

Reactions: MikeParkin
What I love about the S3 (manual) and any S3 is how versatile these cars are, I’ve had hot hatch’s and you can’t really beat them for everyday use..

They also have a certain cool factor which is down with the kids. My two (19, and 15) actually want to be seen getting in and out of the car in front of their mates because its a quality looking motor. The same can not be said about the wifes Peugeot :grinning:

Reactions: rvtb101 and Jimbob76