Thinking of going to AMD... Opinions.?

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Next mod for my car i was thinking to be either a set of alloys or going to AMD for a stage 1 remap and having it rolling roaded.

Thing is £550 for UP TO 30 bhp is it really worth it? Would i notice the difference of that extra 30 bhp? Thing is as youknow im 17 and dont want to be wasiting money!

Any help appreiciated!

Jason

hmmmm...well I have AMD map and I am happy with the map - it is very good
an ECU re-map is the best mod you will do to your car - def rec. getting it done - different car after.

in my personal experience and opinion, AMD are a bit off on the service of late - I would get it mapped locally if I had to do it again and save the petrol/time of driving up the Bicester

i had my first s3 remaped at AMD along with about 25 others when i arranged a monster group buy. We all got it for about £400 inc vat if i remember correctly but even at full price the remap is definately worth it!!

If your not close by though then i would happily use revo. My current S3 has a revo remap and even though the boost feels very slightly more agressive... its still very good.

i'm getting mine remapped at MRC tomorrow, will post a review of it once its done, its the £500inc VAT custom remap and samco intake pipe

I already have a K&N panel filter, bailey DV and milltek cat back, so hopefully should respond well to a remap, fingers crossed :yes:

Still delighted with my AMD remap, had it done 15 months ago. Well worth the money BUT it wore my clutch out within 3 months - so be prepared! You may be lucky, but many of us had to have new clutches after the remap.

jonS3 said:
i'm getting mine remapped at MRC tomorrow, will post a review of it once its done, its the £500inc VAT custom remap and samco intake pipe

I already have a K&N panel filter, bailey DV and milltek cat back, so hopefully should respond well to a remap, fingers crossed :yes:

Hi Jon,

I've got mine booked in at MRC for the end of the month so do let us know how you get on with this. I decided to give them a whirl after the great press they are getting elsewhere.

Cheers,

B.

nervus said:
Not supprised you needed a new clutch thats a well aggressive start

That was just for the camera ... and was with the new uprated clutch. I don't make a habit of it, it's a sure way to blow the clutch.

Incidentally, I didn't do any quick starts with the old standard clutch, it was the in-gear torque that ruined it.

The £550 they quote on their site is without VAT, however they are doing a £100 discount at the moment. Theres also a groupbuy on the TT forum for one click if you decided to go that route instead.

just to say.. i had mine remaped and the clutch was fine right up until it was written off. Also my current one was remaped at about 15000 miles and its now on 33000 and the clutch is still fine.

I would say id help arrange another group buy... but i think most people on the forum got it done last time i did that... so it would be hard to find the numbers now i think.

jediknight said:
just to say.. i had mine remaped and the clutch was fine right up until it was written off. Also my current one was remaped at about 15000 miles and its now on 33000 and the clutch is still fine.

Yep, some people's standard clutches seem to take it.

jediknight said:
I would say id help arrange another group buy... but i think most people on the forum got it done last time i did that... so it would be hard to find the numbers now i think.

I had mine done in your group buy and AMD were fantastic. There's been mixed reports from people here about AMD's service since then though.

Jason_letts said:
The car i have is a 1.8TS A3... think i'll be going down to AMD when i get paid :blackrs4:

What year is your car ? reason I ask is that mine is only just a facelift (early 2001) and so needed chip to be put into the ECU like the older models instead of a straight forward serial port remap

one year down the line my ECU fails.
I was told that the trim may not have been put back in properly and it protects the ECU from rain water from the sils above it.
cost me 750quid 2 weeks ago and there was only 2-3 specks when i saw the insides that Im told were down to water damage

If you have an early model A3, id suggest you get them to wrap it in waterproof plastic after they play with it - just in case (ECU is in silly place on A3!)

enjoy the map