Thinking of getting an A5. Shopping tips?

KonstantinK

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm choosing my first car, so I'm a complete noob in that sense. After thinking long and hard about what I need a car for, I concluded that I don't need one.

But I want one
smile.gif

Being fully aware, that I am buying, let's be honest, a toy for weekend trips and otherwise occasional use, I figured I wanted something stylish, fun on the road, 2-door but 4-seat ('cuz weekend trips with friends are more fun). Not too concerned about MPG and not too keen on either manual gearbox or auto - I like both.

Oh, and I wanted it to be a European make, too.

My budget aim is £10k, but could stretch a bit, if I find a car of my dreams. I'm mainly looking at 2010/2011 cars, with up to 70k mileage

There's quite a range of different makes and models that offer all that and then some, but there's certain cars I decided to avoid, e.g.:

- Jaguars - expensive in exploitation; I'm 30 years too young to own one
- VW Golf GTI - great car but looks too much like a Golf :p
- BMW - don't like the bimmer driver stereotypes. I'm a nice person.
- Mercedes - OK, but generally pricey

etc.

I initially considered an Audi TT, but the amount of space at the back is nonsense. You won't fit an adult there.

So, now I'm down to two models:
- Audi A5 coupe
- VW Scirocco (Golf GTI in disguise!)

Reading online forums, I got an impression that, on average, 'Rocs tend to be more fun to drive, but are no match for A5's in terms of looks, both in and out.

Now, A5's that I'm looking at generally have either a 177bhp or 208bhp 2.0 TFSI engine. If you have driven both, which one would you recommend?

Also, is there any point in paying extra for a four-wheel drive?

I found a few listings that look potentially interesting, what do you think?

http://www.motors.co.uk/car-39696128/sl
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-40453381/sl
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-40913548/sl
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-40818405/sl
http://www.motors.co.uk/car-41015820/sl

Also, I just found that pre-2012 TFSI models have a very common oil consumption problem. Bummer :( Will, perhaps, avoid until later models start dropping in price

I find it interesting that you dismiss the BMW because of stereotypes yet you are happy to buy an Audi

haha! Wasn't aware there was a stereotype for Audi drivers! What is it?

Tailgating, not indicating, stuck in the outside lane. Generally driving like a nob

Often misplaced superiority in the car your driving too :welcoming:

As for looks the B8 A4 A5's are looking very tied inside. Not too bad out though

Just reading this and it's more of curiosity really, are the 3.0tdi any good? And are they gutsy? I guessed they ain't no cavvy but being a tdi maybe it be half abouts.....

Hahaha! Quality! Well I got an a3 tdi and a few days ago saw tdi on an a5 and it sounded the nuts so I'm just curious lol! I know being a 3.0 it won't be the best but thought tdi would be ok ish lol

I'm kicking near 300 and the torque is something insane, you really wouldn't think you were driving a car that weighs as much as it does.

That's following a remap, I'm delighted with it and I get fantastic MPG.

I'm not racing or competing in it and I think it's probably the best all-rounder for my needs.

If I wanted something faster I'd go buy a Supra or get a car with an LS1 and tune it to 700HP, but that wouldn't be good for the 20k I do a year ;)

I'm kicking near 300 and the torque is something insane, you really wouldn't think you were driving a car that weighs as much as it does.

That's following a remap, I'm delighted with it and I get fantastic MPG.

I'm not racing or competing in it and I think it's probably the best all-rounder for my needs.

If I wanted something faster I'd go buy a Supra or get a car with an LS1 and tune it to 700HP, but that wouldn't be good for the 20k I do a year ;)
Good effort!I don't compete but after having issues with my a3 "all sorted now" I was curious and just had a random thought, I don't know anything about them really but for a tdi they sound the nuts! Impressive power figures by the way! How you find that on fuel?

Reactions: Dub2Dub
Good effort!I don't compete but after having issues with my a3 "all sorted now" I was curious and just had a random thought, I don't know anything about them really but for a tdi they sound the nuts! Impressive power figures by the way! How you find that on fuel?

Very efficient, combined MPG is around 40-45 on the on-board computer but I base it more on the miles per tank. 60 Litre Tank gets me 550 miles on average. Sometimes it estimates upto 600 miles and sometimes as low as 500. I'm mainly motorway driving.

The power delivery is very smooth, completely different to a petrol engine, lower RPM's, but you get the Turbo kick in you can feel it pull like a train and it beats past 100 and continues pulling. The great thing is the comfort, doing 70 is like cruising at 20, lower noise and the power is available without changing gear for an overtake.

I'm a little bit in love with it.

Reactions: Welshy
Don't dismiss the Scirocco. I had the GT 210 with the DSG box and loved it. Cracking looking and has aged extremely well. You can pick them up cheaper than the A5. Although, they are two totally different cars and you can't really compare them. My mpg hovered around the 30 mark and that was mostly town driving. Go drive one, you'll love it.

Very efficient, combined MPG is around 40-45 on the on-board computer but I base it more on the miles per tank. 60 Litre Tank gets me 550 miles on average. Sometimes it estimates upto 600 miles and sometimes as low as 500. I'm mainly motorway driving.

The power delivery is very smooth, completely different to a petrol engine, lower RPM's, but you get the Turbo kick in you can feel it pull like a train and it beats past 100 and continues pulling. The great thing is the comfort, doing 70 is like cruising at 20, lower noise and the power is available without changing gear for an overtake.

I'm a little bit in love with She sounds a dream mate! Hot the a3 for a while now and don't get me wrong Scottyg I like the scirocco but I know I'd end up with a golf and a golf is like my a3 so od go bigger next! That's not that bad for the weight and size really! One of my mates bought a fairly new 3 door mercedes which was simular to the a5 and a 3.0, he claimed that was fine on fuel and that was town driving! Think I'm going too need an a5 next lol!

Don't dismiss the Scirocco. I had the GT 210 with the DSG box and loved it. Cracking looking and has aged extremely well. You can pick them up cheaper than the A5. Although, they are two totally different cars and you can't really compare them. My mpg hovered around the 30 mark and that was mostly town driving. Go drive one, you'll love it.
I do like the scirocco but I prefer a golf personally so that being like an a3 which I have! I ain't got dsg but kind of regret not in a way! I think an a5 possibly be next...

Reactions: Scottyg
It's whatever makes you happy buddy. Either choice you won't be disappointed. Just remember there's a new A5 out this year.

Reactions: Welshy