Thinking of getting a S4 but on gas... Any help?

Eigdoog

±§~Quadzackular~§±
Reaction score
Hello,

So I've been looking at getting a S4 for ages now and was looking at the B8 3.0 V6 but at 15-20k i can get an older one for about 10k with the V8 but looking at gas too!

Any problems with these being on gas?

Any problems just with the engine as is?

What kinda tuning can be done to these?

Any help would be great!

Cheers.

LPG run cars produce a little less max power, about 5 to 10%. A friend has a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee and had his converted for LPG. He used a recognised conversion company for safety reasons. Not sure about tuning on LPG though and really no point as your trying to save on fuel costs.. I was expecting mpg to be what the book says - 15 around town but was surprised it does 25 MPG . VED is £500 on Late 2006 cars onwards and £250 prior to that

Standard petrol fuelled car can be tuned but not as bigger gains as turboed cars, you'll find some threads on Audisport.net , Audizine and Audi SRS .net

Standard engine should start up from cold with a rattle for about a second ( Whilst the hydraulic chain tensioner fills up) then run really smooth. The injectors do sound loud with the bonnet up, that's normal. Check out the rest of the car as you would any other.

Last edited:
Just my input I work for a auto gas approved garage and I'm the installer I recently converted my Audi A3 8l to Fully sequential Lpg and it's great so far saves a great amount of fuel the power lose if mapped correctly won't be noticeable.

Just my input I work for a auto gas approved garage and I'm the installer I recently converted my Audi A3 8l to Fully sequential Lpg and it's great so far saves a great amount of fuel the power lose if mapped correctly won't be noticeable.

Cool, Can you tell us what engine model you have and differences in mpg, fuel costs, sure many forum members would be interested.

I have a 1999 Audi A3 1.8t AGU Engine code i filled the tank 52 litres of gas which cost £30 and I done 320 miles mixed driving ..... It starts on petrol as soon as the reducer reaches 30 degrees coolant temp it changes to gas as I have ko3s turbo and mapped ecu I am currently still fine tuning the map but that's only because I can the reduction in mpg is between 10-15% but I haven't noticed any less mpg.

Certainly cheaper to run then, be interesting to see power and torque readings, before and after if you have access to a rolling road.

Will you actually get your money back on the LPG install with fuel savings?

I have as B6 S4 and seriously considered an LPG install, but I realised that to get the install cost back, I'd have to do serious mileage... Which would be daft in an S4!

Out of interest what are other V8 S4 drivers getting as an average mpg? I get 14mpg usually, which is mostly my wife pootling round town and that is exactly what I got from my B8 S4 as well.

I've come to the conclusion that if you are in ANY way bothered about fuel economy, a fast petrol car is not the car for you. I also have a BMW 325d, which I use most of the time. With a remap, it feels faster than my S4 in the real world, handles better and gets 3 or 4 times the mpg. Probably not a popular topic on an Audi forum though...

I have as B6 S4 and seriously considered an LPG install, but I realised that to get the install cost back, I'd have to do serious mileage... Which would be daft in an S4!

Out of interest what are other V8 S4 drivers getting as an average mpg? I get 14mpg usually, which is mostly my wife pootling round town and that is exactly what I got from my B8 S4 as well.

I've come to the conclusion that if you are in ANY way bothered about fuel economy, a fast petrol car is not the car for you. I also have a BMW 325d, which I use most of the time. With a remap, it feels faster than my S4 in the real world, handles better and gets 3 or 4 times the mpg. Probably not a popular topic on an Audi forum though...
Boooo hisssss

Reactions: Garth_S3

exactly my view sir, anything that has a v8 etc petrol engine in it is the last car someone should be looking to buy if they have any issue with fuel consumption figures, if your buying an s4 then you'll have to expect to be hit in the wallet for the cost of fuel, road tax (£500) etc, is the nature of the beast .

Not really fussed about fuel cost as it is a V8 so asking 40 mpg is never going to happen.

Just wondered what these are like on LPG. I keep looking about i might even opt for the 3 litre V6 they do. Mapping is a lot better.

Ive got a B8 2.0 TDi remapped and it does fly to be fair just wanted petrol power. I understand what you are saying about BMW and Audi still do the 3 litre TDi with great remapping choices but again want the petrol power.