Thinking of getting a BMW X5 sport diesel, any owners?

JDM82

Reaction score
Im thinking of selling the A4 and going for a X5. I'd be looking at a 3.0d sport, I know there not great on fuel but I never hardly use my car so it wont effect me that much.

Just looking if there's any owners on here, current or previous with any suggestions, comments or things to look out for.

Would you not be better getting a petrol version if you hardly use your car? People always say it's not good for a diesel to be sitting idle for long periods of time or doing lots of short journeys.

Don't do it!! You'll find that it will 'stick' to the outside lane on the motorway/dual carriageway, and no matter how clear the nearside lane(s) are, it won't move back over. I believe a dealer recall would sort the problem out, as long as the recall involved the dealer keeping every model brought in and crushing them.

Sorry mate, not a fan of them at all. I think there is much batter out there for less money. Plus, I think they're ugly. Just saying :)

well i had 1

the end.

I thought these type of 4x4's were only used for doing the school run 1st thing in the morning and then sitting outside Starbucks all day until the afternoon school run......:gun2:

I thought these type of 4x4's were only used for doing the school run 1st thing in the morning and then sitting outside Starbucks all day until the afternoon school run......:gun2:
They are. I honestly don't understand the attraction to them, you'll get a lot more car for your money if you buy a car car.

People that buy them will never take them off the tar. Same applies to the Q7 really

No I dont need a 4x4 I just like the X5. I suppose I need to give it some serious thought, there doesn't seem to be much love for them. Cheers for your comments :yes:

I like them and intend on looking at some in the future, my mate had the E53 V8, and tbh it was nice to drive. Im looking at the E70 at the moment and the same, 3.0D sport.

Suppose you'll always get a reply like above asking about BMW on Audi froum:rolleyes:

I like them and intend on looking at some in the future, my mate had the E53 V8, and tbh it was nice to drive. Im looking at the E70 at the moment and the same, 3.0D sport.

Suppose you'll always get a reply like above asking about BMW on Audi froum:rolleyes:

Yeah, I should of expected some negativity but if Im being honest, if I could afford an Q5 or Q7 I would much rather stay with Audi. Unfortunately, the Q's are still out my price bracket but the X5 ain't so we'll see.

I've no problem with BMW, intact they make ****** good cars.

I just have no idea why someone would want one of these "soft" 4x4s! They're more expensive, drink more fuel, very boring to drive and more expensive to service/repair. Why would you not put the money towards a saloon/estate/hatch which is going to be twice the car!?

I've no problem with BMW, intact they make ****** good cars.

I just have no idea why someone would want one of these "soft" 4x4s! They're more expensive, drink more fuel, very boring to drive and more expensive to service/repair. Why would you not put the money towards a saloon/estate/hatch which is going to be twice the car!?

Already have an Audi saloon, dont really like estates and for me personally, i like the comfort and ride in them.

I used to share your opinion on the pointlessness of having a 4x4 etc when people dont take them off road, but i genuinely like driving vans etc for the driving position, hence why i now like the idea of a 4x4.

After buying a BMW and knowing most of the common problems associated with the X5 are the same as what i've had with my E61...... air suspension compressor, boot leaking under the spare tyre well into the electronics (could cost thousands to repair), engine flaps and poor seals... sunroofs sticking open, light modules failing, boot loom splitting and shorting all electronics in the boot, Diversity antenna which controls your stereo and key fobs.... to name but a few. Yes cars have their problems, but these are common place problems associated with 3yr+ BM's of the estate variety.

I seem to have had every one of them, and even with my BM discount and handy man skills, has still cost me a small fortune... Audi all the way in my experience