Thinking Of Buying An Rs6 Avant

Toomanycars007

Reaction score
Just been looking at an RS6 avant on ebay, 2004 on 106k for just under £9k

Is there anything I need to be looking for?

Is it worth buying a 106k one or would i be better off saving some more money and get a slightly lower mile, newer one?

Buying advice welcomed :)

Reactions: TahirS
forget mileage with these cars, it's all about the history.

there is lots that go wrong with them, mine is currently a £1500 car... I.e. everything seems to cost that to fix!

just a short list:

suspension, has it got DRC, when was it fixed? when was it fixed again, and again, why hasn't it been swopped for coilovers??

gearbox, when was it rebuilt, how many times?

brakes cost a small fortune, as do tyres...

how are the intercoolers and pipe work?

and so on and so on, they are really great cars when they are working, just a bit temperamental at times... much like a nice mistress...

Wow. Ok need to some more research before jumping in then. What's drc?

"dynamic ride control"

Audi speak for ******* retarded suspension.

maybe, to be fair, this was the first car to showcase this wonderful thing.. I can't say how good it is as I've never been in a car where it's been working! lol

I will look into this in a bit more depth then. I have heard the gearbox can be a problem with these.

yeah, just not good enough...

mine is on it's second rebuild and it's second torque convertor..

as I say, they are great cars when running right, you just have to be prepared to spend some money on them..

I think the general rule was £5k a year... give or take depending on miles and how harsh you are.

clear.png

Hmm ok. Maybe I should stick with my mercedes or look at a slightly less highly strung model. 3.0 A6 tdi perhaps.

what about an S6? They are nice too. I prefer the C6 and C7 models are both nice but obv C6 would be cheaper now than new C7.

The S6 seems a lot more affordable. I could get an 07 (C7)? Model for a similar price to a good RS. May be a better option.

the C5 RS6 was more of a bespoke car than many people realise, hence why when things go wrong, it's usually because they were brand new for that car, new technology for Audi, or made just for it... call it RS tax if you like.

The S6 was a "normal" A6... so it was built to the same quality and speck (and parts) as the rest of range.

all RS models are made by Quattro GmbH, not Audi.

If you don't want to spend money on a car to keep it in tip top condition, then maybe best to look elsewhere... but as I say... when these things are running right, there is very little that can catch them!

I
the C5 RS6 was more of a bespoke car than many people realise, hence why when things go wrong, it's usually because they were brand new for that car, new technology for Audi, or made just for it... call it RS tax if you like.

The S6 was a "normal" A6... so it was built to the same quality and speck (and parts) as the rest of range.

all RS models are made by Quattro GmbH, not Audi.

If you don't want to spend money on a car to keep it in tip top condition, then maybe best to look elsewhere... but as I say... when these things are running right, there is very little that can catch them!

I dont like the idea of spending £5k a year on running repairs, especially as I would be buying a 10 year old car. And with tge best will in the world, I could be buying something that some one has got fed up with spending money on. And could have all sorts of problems. I may look at the S6 as another option. And with a miltek and a remap. It would see nearly 400 bhp from what I have read.

lets be fair The S6 is still a powerhouse of a car! The C7 maybe not so much as whats possible with the C6 but still either will give plenty of oomf !! I have to say If I was not quite willing to go for an RS 6 or an RS 4 id go for an S6

Reactions: Toomanycars007
£3000 would see me in a C5 S6, :think:

So that is a definite option, even maybe as a 2nd car, and keep my Merc. They are old but as a toy it would be good fun. And for almost throw away money too.

My friend has a C5 S6 V8 Saloon, and although its an old model, it goes like stink, sounds beautiful and as stated above non problematic due to the age of technology for that car before the C6. He uses his for a 2nd play car. '/Go for it :p

I would throw a final edition D2 S8 into the mix too...

I think they are great cars, 95% of what an RS6 can do, and far better built, classier and can still shift...

Gone for the sensible option, just going to have a look at a 2008 Le mans, 3.0 diesel quattro. Boring I know, but head rules over heart in then end, and the running costs of the RS and S range will have to wait until the kids have grown up.