Thinking of buying a 2014 A3 3.2 Quattro, what should I look out for? And what should I pay

donovan2123

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently considering a 3.2L A3 Quattro automatic. It has 105k miles on the clock and has tons(100+) of receipts and invoices to back up the mileage and history from various different companies. It has six owners from new. Condition of car is average.

There is the general wear and tear, some scratches and debts to exterior, tiny bit of rust on seals etc I suppose all to be expected with this age of car. Mot October 2019

It's fully loaded, Cruise, nav, Heated Seats etc. It has miltek and has the blue Haldex controller

So anything in particular I should be looking for in terms of issues?

Also any idea on what price I should expect to pay?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If that’s not a typo then in my opinion that’s rather a high number of owners for a car barely 5 years old....
I’d be asking why?

So you mean 2004? There wasn’t a 3.2 in 2014 that I’m aware of. Besides, 2014 would be the 8V model.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I'm sure I've seen posts on here about an issue with them holding rev's at 2krpm, related to a software update possibly?
listen out for timing chain rattles, that is a sign of a stretched chain and potential big bill.

I don't know a lot about these cars, just noticed a few posts on here that caught my attention so you may want to research those points for more info.

Timing chain rattle, goes through all the hears smoothly, in both tiptronic and auto. Listen for any excessive whining etc front the drive train. Going off that mileage it should have had at least two dsg and haldex oil and filter changes. If it hasn’t walk away as you could be in for some pain. They need this doing on schedule to keep tip top.

When you test drive it hold the revs at 2k in P. If they won’t hold it’s a sign that either it needs an ECU update, which may cure it, or the timing chain is stretched. Beware, if the chain is stretched it’s a 3k bill to replace it. I had this on mine and it needed the update, but again caution as doing this can expose other underlying problems.

Check everything works as it should in the interior. If you know anyone with VCDS or a obd scanner, take it and scan the car.

I bought one of these last month and love it.

What price are you looking at paying?

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Timing chain rattle, goes through all the hears smoothly, in both tiptronic and auto. Listen for any excessive whining etc front the drive train. Going off that mileage it should have had at least two dsg and haldex oil and filter changes. If it hasn’t walk away as you could be in for some pain. They need this doing on schedule to keep tip top.

When you test drive it hold the revs at 2k in P. If they won’t hold it’s a sign that either it needs an ECU update, which may cure it, or the timing chain is stretched. Beware, if the chain is stretched it’s a 3k bill to replace it. I had this on mine and it needed the update, but again caution as doing this can expose other underlying problems.

Check everything works as it should in the interior. If you know anyone with VCDS or a obd scanner, take it and scan the car.

I bought one of these last month and love it.

What price are you looking at paying?
Well the sellers doesn't want to budge from 2800. I I personally think that's to much and want to pay 2500.

I have upto 3.5k for right car. If I could get a high spec early Facelift that be smashing. :)

These cars have probably bottomed out in terms of price, but the seller will be getting a lot more in a private sale than any trade-in.

If the car goes on to give you trouble-free motoring, then £2,800 is a good price... although there is always an element of luck at this price. You will no doubt have seen in your research that there are many expensively priced 3.2s out there that I'd expect to be in better cosmetic condition than this one sounds.

Whatever you go for, I would personally reserve another £1-2k for repairs and / or to bring it back to its prime.

Reactions: abmat
Without seeing the car take my comments with a bit of salt, but I wouldn’t pay £2800 from what you described. In my search there are a lot of different specs out there, every car had a subtle difference.

I spent a while looking for mine and paid just under 4K for an 05 plate with 72k on the clock.

2 owners, full Audi service history, nappa leather with electric seats, xenons, Bose, folding mirrors. It was mint so I went a touch over my budget.

Keep an eye on autotrader etc. I wouldn’t rush into buying because the bills can soon rack up. It also depends on what you want the car for. As a commuter you need deep pockets, low 20mpg in town/short run. High 20’s/low 30’s on the motorway.

Above all else ensure that the timing chain is good, otherwise the bill will outweigh the value of the car.

As @Ben H says the value has bottomed out now. I got mine as a keeper, that if looked after and miles kept low may slightly increase in value.

Where are you? If you don’t have access to a scanner look on the vcds map to see if there is anyone local who could assist.

Owned my 3.2 for about 3 years now. As much as I love it, my journey has not been cheap. Things I would look out for.

Timing chain rattle otherwise walk away as cost about £2K to fix. Heaven forbid you need the cam adjusters done too about £500 each on top and theres two. I have a video of my before and after in one of my posts. I'll stick the link on here when I find it.

Leaking flex pipes. These are one piece downpipes flex and cat. You need to replace the whole lot if any issues. Around £1600.

DSG issues. Flashing PRNDS etc. If you are lucky you can get the gearbox ECU refurbished. If not it's a new ECU or Whole gearbox. Definitely over £1K.

If you can get a VCDS scan on it before purchase all the better.

Oh yeah forget about power mods. For the gain vs cost it's not good. You will have to like the power and delivery for what it is. If you are after more power down the line buy an s3.

Good luck!

Reactions: abmat
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802023327446

I nearly looked at this one. Could be decent with a bit of work.
I did see that one, problem is, I am not a fan of red cars.

This is the one I might go take a look at, problem is he's in the middle of nowhere:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901264314444?atmobcid=soc3

I figured if its mechanically(will be armed with vcds) sound and not to much damage/rust(to be expected at this age really) then I could, over the coming months, convert to Facelift for £300ish.

Have you considered an R32 instead?
Virtually the same car, but IMO they look better. A mate of mine has one and looks wise I prefer it to my S3, it has more presence about it.
Performance wise my S3 has the edge.

R32 was originally the car I wanted until I saw the price. To pick up a decent one your looking at 7k.

Rear wiper motor is broken. It’s in the wrong position.

The only thing that puts me off is the red arm rests, shark fin on the roof and s-line steering wheel. For me rsn-e isn’t everything. Better aftermarket out there.

If I recall A3 8p were only available in sport back then.

That car has been played with and possibly driven hard I think. As it’s one of the first ones I would like to have a good look underneath if possible. Check for rust on the sills by the front wheels. They get stone chipped. Also check the sills are straight by the jacking points. People can jack them up without using a pad and split the seam. Crap gets in and they rot.

It does look tidy on the outside and the chain has been done. Not many around with xenons and auto lights/wipers.

I suppose it depends if you are in a rush or are prepared to wait for the right one.

Past 06 they go into the higher tax bracket, hence why I went for a 05.

Last edited:
Rear wiper motor is broken. It’s in the wrong position.

The only thing that puts me off is the red arm rests, shark fin on the roof and s-line steering wheel. For me rsn-e isn’t everything. Better aftermarket out there.

If I recall A3 8p were only available in sport back then.

That car has been played with and possibly driven hard I think. As it’s one of the first ones I would like to have a good look underneath if possible. Check for rust on the sills by the front wheels. They get stone chipped. Also check the sills are straight by the jacking points. People can jack them up without using a pad and split the seam. **** gets in and they rot.

It does look tidy on the outside and the chain has been done. Not many around with xenons and auto lights/wipers.

I suppose it depends if you are in a rush or are prepared to wait for the right one.

Past 06 they go into the higher tax bracket, hence why I went for a 05.

Good spot re window wiper, I will question him about that. Re: s line I'm not sure?

If the guy gets back to me I will go view it. I have a very good eye so I will immediately be able to tell if its a wrongen. Also have vcds so will be checking cam values.

BTW what values are considered okay for the cam values? No more than - 3?

I am in a bit of a rush as I am currently carless. But I won't allow myself to buy a lemon.

Worse case I will just rent for a few weeks from enterprise or similar

I figured if its mechanically(will be armed with vcds) sound and not to much damage/rust(to be expected at this age really) then I could, over the coming months, convert to Facelift for £300ish.

how would you do that so cheaply?

Breakers/ebay and buy the parts already in correct colour

if your going for the late 08-12 facelift youll need 2x bumpers, 2x headlights, a bonnet, 2x wings, 2x wing mirrors. pretty sure they changed colour options over the years as well, eg. aint seen that light grey 3dr colour in facelift.

not saying it aint possible, but its gonna be hard to do all that for £300

I think the fact you’re in a rush will overrule your good eye for a wrongun and any poor VCDS values, especially if you drive so far.

I have a MK5 R32 and it’s brilliant - but my transfer box is on the way out which concernes me.

The v6 engine in the MK5 R32 was the upgraded version of the v6. I believe the A3 received the same engine that the MK4 Golf had. This engine in itself was an upgrade of the original vr6. None of this is a a real concern other than age, but my recommendation would be to go for the MK5 Golf R32. It’s a newer, stronger engine, there is more availability of parts and you wouldn’t need to facelift the vehicle.

If you go for the A3, the timing chain replacement is an engine out job. The flexi joints on the each exhaust bank have been known to crack/leak so keep this in mind.

However, I feel like you’re already made your decision...

Trust when I say I will not buy if its a lemon. I viewed a golf gti yesterday(80 miles away) and didn't even get as far as to scan it before I turned away. Many things didn't add up.

Also quick Google suggests the audi uses the bub engine code which is the same as mk5? Unless this information is incorrect?

Plans changed decided I'm not going to view this car.

The wiper does have an issue, apparently the number plate lights have just stopped working tonight, the door light stopped yesterday. The car is HPI as a sport yet owner is telling me its an s line.

To many little things. And the fact its 2 Hours away also puts a damper on it.

So the search continues.

As for r32 basically my budget is 4k I could go 4200 but no more. R32 are realistically 6k for anything decent.

Reactions: samuelh_888
As I said. S-line wasn’t out on ‘04 plate. Audi only did sport. Think it started 55 or 06.

Wiper and rear lights is probably a washer leak

Cam values less than 8.

Reactions: donovan2123
God was that really 12 years ago !! Best car i ever owned, way better than the S3 in stock form.

Attachments

• Smellysback.jpg
    Smellysback.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: xkieron99x and donovan2123
My 3.2 was o4 S-Line

I’m 99% sure s-line was introduced in 2005

On an hpi check your car comes out as a 3.2 sport

Attachments

• 4D7DE84B-84A1-4E56-BD9D-5BE909EBECCB.png
    4D7DE84B-84A1-4E56-BD9D-5BE909EBECCB.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 268
What are you saying ? i dont know what model of car i owned ?

Not at all. I’m just saying that from all my readings s-line wasn’t available until 05. Apart from yours I have never seen one that early. I spent ages looking for mine and all the ones I found were 55 onwards. Like most on here I like to give out correct information, but always stand to be corrected if wrong.

If I have offended I apologise as that wasn’t my intent.

What are you saying ? i dont know what model of car i owned ?
I think abmat is right, because in the photo you posted, we see only s-line badge. S-line have other bumpers first of all, suspension also in your photo just standart or sport.. I don't know why lots of people saying that they have s-line, it makes me laugh, because it makes no sense. S-line is just decoration, other springs and nothing more. You can put all these things on the cheapest audi's..

Last edited:
I know I thought this. And my HPI showed the same, sport! There are atleast 2 others for sale online which also have the s line badge plastered around car. Makes me think that maybe it was "sport line" and they they split it out to sport and s line

I have to say I am gutted know one on here is selling one. :)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264122891060

Could be a bargain if the MAF is all that’s wrong with it.

I tried to view this one when it was up for £3500. They kept stalling me, I thought something was up. Turns out there was. I did a mot history check which was good. Never had any major issues.
No service history, only one photo, poor spec in terms of no xenons, Cruise (a must).

Also as its a car dealer you would think that they would just fit a new maf? Makes me think there hoping no checks are done. I bet the chain is stretched

Well do you think i have a case against Audi UK for selling me a std car badged up as an Sline with 18" wheels, S line suspension. Full S line leather.

Makes me laugh when people say oh its just a std car badged up[ as an s line. Well what do you think an Sline was ?
Here is the brochure for 2004 clearly showing sport and S line spec for the A3

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 251
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 252
Ok zygutis, here is my front bumper on my fake S-line maybe you can tell me why its fake or why the car had black roof lining and a perforated leather steering wheel as well as a leather gear knob ?

Attachments

• Audi2101113.jpg
    Audi2101113.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Steeringwheel.jpg
    Steeringwheel.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 241