Thinking about a 190Hp A4 Avant

RoadHawg

Reaction score
Right.
End of last year, like an Idiot, I sold my Jetta 1.8T for a Jeep Wrangler. I love the wrangler offroad, it is simply the best offroad vehicle around but daily driving of 200-300kms is killing my wallet and my spine.

The VAG fold is calling me home in a big way and a Lowish mileage 1.8T B6 avant is haunting me. (78 000kms)

Anything to know about these motors? Im guessing it still has the KO3s...was hoping it maybe had the KO4. Same general issues as the Jetta 180hp 1.8T? im thinking just coilpacks and MAF issues wouldnt be the normal things to go wrong. Water pump failures like the Mk4s?
How tunable is the BEX (That is the right engine code yeh?)? I had some surging issues on my Jetta after a revo tune.....Is the BEX also Drive By Wire?

With regards to the platform, how different is the suspension compared to the MK4's? I would have to drop it, just wouldnt be able to help myself:whistle2:

Thanks for any Info guys.

Stu.

All the B6 A4 and onwards are DBW and none of the A4 got the K04 turbo but you can buy a K04-15 if you wanted but the BEX will remap to around 235bhp.

The thing that can go wrong are control arms which are different to the Jetter I think and sludge. Water pump should last as long as the Timing belt but should be changed when that is changed also make sure the car as a service history with regular oil changes.

Thanks a bunch man!

Seems the BEX wasnt released in USA....Are the tuning parts from the lower power models interchangeable? Things like TIP's and Downpipes etc?

Yep no issues at all with the US engine just slap in some TT 380 injectors FMIC and a APR +1 remap to see around 235bhp you might even want to add a 034 HFC which as shown 15bhp increase in power over Stock CAT's and will almost match a bypass pipe.

I should clarify,

Im from South Africa. We have the 190Hp here. So tuning bits for the 180hp USA cars will fit ours.....Actually i guees they should since its the same turbo.

Is the extra 10hp just because of tuning??

Nope the 190bhp is a little bigger but tuning parts from the USA will work fine just there maps will not unless you have the same fuel as them.

I thought the 180's were just the older single intercooler 1.8T's?

If they are indeed the same engine, then the tuning might be for more the more lax emissions standards, I guess?

One other problem that we seem to see a lot of here is failing coilpacks, but the petrol boys can tell you anything you don;t already know about that...

The SE suspension isn't as bad at the Mk4's.... but if you want to resist "needing" to drop the suspension, then look at the "Sport" versions... already slightly lowered and stiffened suspension... get a Quattro if you really want fun on gravel.... just mind the stone-chips....

At R7-R7.50 a litre (50p), just think of the poor people in the UK (and also across W.Europe)... last time I filled up, it was £1.11/litre (R15 a litre) for diesel.... I think it's time I started filling mine up on chip-fat!!

180bhp is the older engine (AJL)

The 190bhp cars will be S-Line and this will mean it will have Sport suspension as standard.

Doc - no guarantee since different specs go to different countries.... in the US, I think you can get S-Line's spec'd with standard suspension?!?!!

Even in the UK, Audi released the 190PS flavour 1.8T in S, SE, Sport and S-Line (26 May 2003 -1 Dec 2003). They even did a 1.8T Quattro SE!!

Message remains the same: as long as it's an S-Line / Sport, then suspension will be slightly lower and firmer than stock...

It looks thusly:
DSC00004.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg

Urg....Going back and forth in my head man....Jeep = Super weekend fun, going topless in summer but anywhere from 12-16L/100km and SLOOOOOOOOW!!
Audi = Comfortable, Much more interior space, FAST! (Compared to a Jeep!) and its back to my comfort zone of Dubs. But It cant climb mountains or take its roof off.

I hate these sorts of decisions.

At R7-R7.50 a litre (50p), just think of the poor people in the UK (and also across W.Europe)... last time I filled up, it was £1.11/litre (R15 a litre) for diesel.... I think it's time I started filling mine up on chip-fat!!

Was in London a week ago (During the damn heatwave). Was kinda freaked out by the prices of everything until i just told myself to stop converting back to Rands!:)

But yeah, I was also not used to all the walking. Every night i would mumble things about stupid brits not having cars while walkiing home from the train station hehehe :lmfao: But when u hink of the Gas money and parking situation, it makes perfect sense. hehe

Here's an Example of a Non Sline but has sports suspension still...
Red T on the back - unless he put it there...

Cant see whether its 6speed or 5 speed!

Last edited:
It looks thusly:
DSC00004.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg

Urg....Going back and forth in my head man....Jeep = Super weekend fun, going topless in summer but anywhere from 12-16L/100km and SLOOOOOOOOW!!
Audi = Comfortable, Much more interior space, FAST! (Compared to a Jeep!) and its back to my comfort zone of Dubs. But It cant climb mountains or take its roof off.

I hate these sorts of decisions.

Loks great, S4 grilles too. :rock:

I have the sline Quattro, it my first Audi,:kissmyrings: i owned for 2 year, only had 1 coilpack go on me, it could do with a little more power (that a remap when i get some monies), for going round the bendy stuff it great no body roll, it not to bad on fuel unless you drive enthusiastic:racer: every where you go.

RoadHawg - that's not an S-line.... three spoke steering, sports seats and the ride height mean that it's probably a Sport though... so that should help with stopping you from needing to change the suspension immediately.

J7 - The Sports suspension pack was available for the S / SE and standard on the S-Line and Sport (like mine! :)).... I know it's lower, but is it REALLY "10cm" (as per that advert)?

RoadHawg - that's not an S-line.... three spoke steering, sports seats and the ride height mean that it's probably a Sport though... so that should help with stopping you from needing to change the suspension immediately.

J7 - The Sports suspension pack was available for the S / SE and standard on the S-Line and Sport (like mine! :)).... I know it's lower, but is it REALLY "10cm" (as per that advert)?

I was always under the impression the Sports were 20mm lower than SE??? cant remember where I read that now but few folk have said same too.

When I put mine next to my Bro inlaws SE - haha, his looks like a charriot!

i think it is 30mm too can't remember were i heard it

Last edited:
I was always under the impression the Sports were 20mm lower than SE??? cant remember where I read that now but few folk have said same too.

I'm not wishing to contradict anyone, but I am sure it is 20mm too ;)

EDIT: the 2003 A4 brochure seems to agree with us Juss :)

Last edited:
I was jsut saying that in my head I was 30mm... but I've never looked it up.... pperfectly happy to accept that it's 20mm.... especially if there's an Audi brochure that says that :detective2:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the Info guys.

Gonna go see the car on Saturday....I already have vissions of blacking out the whole car and putting some VMaxx coilies and Revo on it :shutup2: !! The VAG disease is bad in me!