They say they might write it off :(

s3 rear was on the cards... not too sure about the rs3 spoiler but i do like the diffuser

maybe the s3 front end, though i do like the sline front.
s3 skirts? 19s, some lows... not a custom paint job but defo respray to bring it all back up nicely.
some other small bits which makes a massive difference...

not sure what else really.

edit:
just remembered some bits i have always wanted in there.... hmmmmm now seems like a good time to do it :ninja:
Looks like your mind is well made up, and its time for a rebuild thread.

Write offs are generally assessed as follows. You declare a price to your insurer when you take out a policy. The insurer looks at the "trade value" of your car.

An assessor will come and inspect the car once it has been taken to a authorised repairer. The repairer will estimate the costs and the assessor will liaise with the insurer as to whether the costs are reasonable and if the damage is as such. Write offs are usually done if the cost of repair is not worth it because of the value of the car at the time.

Yes to us that doesn't look to bad but remember the insurer will be using an "approved repairer" who will need to make money out of the job and it will need to be a HEALTHY sum. I could advise on a suitable repair for the car privately but remember we could live with a few shortcuts but the approved repairer wont as the work will need to be guaranteed to an acceptable standard.

Now lets look at Ash's damages..

Rear bumper lugs (Must be broken) they will not fix that instead thats a new rear bumper cover = ?
Creasing of rear quarter
Paint rear bumper, rear quater
Door, Now that door may have some denting etc so the garage may say we need to remove the door etc remove all the dents
Stripping the door will mean undoing the side trimmings etc.

Ill shorten this post but practically that whole side needs a respray and attention. The amount of stripping etc needed all costs, the materials IE glues seals etc to replace back.

The labour, Paint, Laquer
Looks like a new front wing may even be needed as the dent is on the crease of the wing. Lets factor all of this in at a approved garage? You get the idea that this job to them will be at least 3-4k by the time the garage has made its money.

Now if the third party insurer pays the garage say 3-4k, 100-150 a day for ash to cruise in a courtesy car for around 2 weeks roughly 1400.

That alone is nearly £5500 all towards our dear friend ash. What they could really do is offer ash 5k for his car and throw it in an auction! where im sure that A3 will fetch circa 3-4k making there loss around 1k in comparison to 5k!

Reactions: Starbuck123
cant see that being a write off.

im a panel beater by the way.

if they are quoting u 4k to do that 'little' job il do it for 3k hahaha, private at a garage your looking at,

full side paint + new rear bumper?

essentially 5 panels,

call it 6-8 hours on the quarter, 2 on the doors, 5 paint and prep, 1 polish, 4 strip and fit

call it 20 hours @ most garage rates circa £30ph = £600 labour + paint at possibly £400 - £500

new bumper 200????

that all in less than £1500. and thats at a higher rate bodyshop. obviuosly thats a rough guesstimate before jobsworths start telling me im wrong.

good luck with it mate, dont let them feck you over, take it to several places for quotes.

if they are quoting u 4k to do that 'little' job il do it for 3k hahaha, private at a garage your looking at,

full side paint + new rear bumper?

essentially 5 panels,

call it 6-8 hours on the quarter, 2 on the doors, 5 paint and prep, 1 polish, 4 strip and fit

call it 20 hours @ most garage rates circa £30ph = £600 labour + paint at possibly £400 - £500

new bumper 200????

that all in less than £1500. and thats at a higher rate bodyshop. obviuosly thats a rough guesstimate before jobsworths start telling me im wrong.

good luck with it mate, dont let them feck you over, take it to several places for quotes.

yh thats what i am expecting to pay to sort it out privately... although £1500 was the maximum end
while i am replacing the rear i was thinking of a S3 rear. the front wing and doors are just paint jobs so thats easy. i always provide the paint... cant stand those dumbass garages that get crappy paint. so the hardener and softener, lacquer and primer is all from me at trade prices which saves me loads of money too.

Since i would be dropping it in i was thinking of getting other areas fixed up like the stone chips on front bumper and bonnet, existing dent on drivers side door etc... which i am sure i can manage all of it in the £1500 as i have a good few contacts. that then leave me with extra money for alloys, springs, and other bits... (did i mention i would be doing most of the fitting work myself like the springs, alloys, bumper??) I have access to garages that i can work in and also have a few friends in places that can sort me out so all in all im hoping to have a fresh car once i am done...

but this is all based on the fact that they do actually write it off and pay out a fair amount. so im just going to let the ideas roll through my head and be patient

S**t mate! Sorry to see your car in that state, but very glad to hear your OK.

On the upside if they pay out nicely then the car will come back looking spanking with some tidy new features aye :eyebrows:

Ever the optimist!

Never good to read these things, but you have some great evidence there & its a hands down win imho.

Buttt, if the insurance goes down the road of repair, you wont be fitting S3 rear etc on, as they will only instruct the repairers to fit the specific bumpers the car should have given they know every single cost of a set job & parts, I work closely with a big bodyshop & what I'm told about insurers is unbelievable at times, hence why so many bodyshops have gone the way of the dodo.

Now if you do get a payout directly, thats a bonus to do all yourself interms of find your own repairer, but its not a bad job overall, I cant see it being written of at all tbh, cars not exactly worth £900 is it & even with hire car costs it shouldnt cost anywhere near the cars value.

It will be back to normal soon enough so dont worry.

Rich, I'm just trying to see the silver lining on the cloud. You know what they say...

Thanks Nigel, I didn't want to go through my insurance cos I know how useless they are and to make it worse they will leave this as an open claim and then hike up my premium price on my next renewal.

The solicitors I am using have said they will take this claim on all the way so I should just get the cash up front. Aparently the third party haven't even notified their insurance so it looks like an easy win for me.

I honestly don't see how it's a write off either but when I saw the quote the Audi approved garage gave me my jaw dropped. Honestly the amount of extras they were charging is day light robbery! I mean they listed a wheel tracking at £245!! I'm surprised that these garages don't get done by trading standards for being absolute rip offs!

Lets see, I should have a letter coming in the post explaining the details of costs and valuation of my car, I'm just hoping I don't have to fight them for a higher valuation cos that will just delay me fixing up the car

There first offer is always crap, make sure you have proof of what your car is worth.(examples of cars with similar spec up for sale)

When my M3 was written off I was offered £3k for it when it was worth atleast 6k, so emailed them a list of M3s with similar mileage and spec that were for sale on auto trader. I managed to get 5.5k in the end then bought the car back for 1k, then sold it on for £2k a week later!

Good luck..

Sorry to see your baby in that state. Hope you get it sorted whichever way you decide is best!

Never a nice situation to be in. Had the same thing happen to me with a bus except instead of us being side by side he hit my rear quarter with the front of the bus, he still tried to claim it was my fault! There are some real pr*cks on the road & unfortunately they seem to have the menatality of 'I'm driving a bigger vehicle than you so I rule the road'!

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

To be honest I can't see how they can claim it'd be your fault, even if you were cutting in, he was in the wrong lane and not indicating. If he was going to swing right due to his vehicles size, he should have been indicating.

On the basis he was in the middle lane and not indicating, you had every right to be in that right hand lane.

An insurer once told me that when two people collide across white lines they always 50/50 it because nobody will admit fault, luckily in the case that happened to me the lady who sideswiped me as I was overtaking her took total responsibility...

Ash
Sorry to see this. But it must be the time of year or something as I crashed mine as well last week. :(

awww dude how?
totally sh*t feeling i know

Even worse feeling when it's your own fault. I managed to pull out of a T junction into the side of a passing car. Just didn't see the silver car in the rain without it's lights on. Luckily no one was hurt, and the damage was in my opinion only minor. Front bumper, offside wing, main grill, and fog lamp grill.

Hi recently I've been on a terribad accident and I'm telling you, everyone should buy car cam car blackbox. it's not that expensive around 200usd and Korean make good ones. I myself bought Lukas blackbox but there are several out there. It helps you fight back with hard evidence

Reminds me of the time I left my S3 parked up on a high street only to come back to find the rear 3/4 dented and a horrible white mark across the passenger door but no offending vehicle so not best pleased as you can imagine. Car was only a year old so went through insurance who after some persuasion agreed to my request to take it to Audi...got a quote from Audi for £4000, including a new left front alloy wheel which looked perfect but according to them could have "hidden damage". Went back to my insurance and they claims persons face when she came to inspect the car was priceless when I told her the figure :blink:

yeah audi bodyshops are useless *******s tried to tell me my old car wasnt rusting from under the pain dispite there being no breaks in it

So its just been confirmed that the car will be a CAT D 'drivable' write off.
looks like i need to wait for the payout and then get the car repaired. They also did confirm that i dont need to do anything regarding MOT or Insurance as I can just continue to drive the car as it is until i get the money to repair it.

So its just been confirmed that the car will be a CAT D 'drivable' write off.
looks like i need to wait for the payout and then get the car repaired. They also did confirm that i dont need to do anything regarding MOT or Insurance as I can just continue to drive the car as it is until i get the money to repair it.

How does this work then mate, do you get to keep the car and the reduce the payout to compensate for you keeping it or do you get a full payout and they assume you're going to buy it back with the money they give you?

You will soon have it looking good again Ash. :) x

Yeah Ash, you'll have your baby looking as good as new again soon. I hope they pay up quickly, so you can get going with it. :wub: xx

Sorry to hear about this :( always happens to people who love there car and look after it, hope you get it all fixed soon

Chris

a very good deal, take the cash and fix/upgrade the car, with that many miles on it the cat d status will make less of a difference to the resale value

Every cloud and that mate.

Least you can add some more extras to it.

Will this affect your insurance when it comes to renewal?

What happened in terms of liability of the accident itself? Did they back down?

Ahem, leave the car as it is, ....a tidy deposit on S3 perhaps? I'd defo do this!

Ash I'm glad to hear that things are progressing at a fairly acceptable rate, my warranty company should take note :p lol!!

I think that you'll have a tidy motor come a month or so from now, let the modding commence!! May well have some bits of mine for sale :eyebrows: I'll keep you posted on that ;)

Yh it's accepted, been told that I should have my cash in 2 weeks hopefully

Rich I think i know what parts you are selling... And I want them ASAP!!
Already got the project in plan... Prices for repairs and upgrades agreed, just need to get the parts in.

Hey guys.... not happy today

I got a call saying the engineer has assessed the damages and may declare the car a write off :blownose:

Let me explain what happened... I was driving over to Ace cafe for the monthly meet on the 24th April...

I was driving down this road...

ScreenShot2012-05-03at164320.png

I was on the right lane and beside me on the middle lane there was a lorry, I was turning right at this junction...

ScreenShot2012-05-03at164849.png

I had no idea what direction the lorry was going to turn since he wasn't using his indicators.

I had already driven up to the turn and was going around it (sharp corner so no chance of speeding here) only to see an orange light to the passenger side of me (he indicates at the last minute) followed by a big blue lorry who basically felt like bullying me out of the way!
The lorry shoved my Audi into the kerb and then stopped, the driver jumped out of the cabin quiet confused only to follow up with "you were squeezing through" WTF! he had 2 passengers in the cabin who came out too and started trying to sing the drivers song. They quickly went quiet when i showed them the scratch mark on their lorry of where my mirror had started touching the side of the lorry as they turned into me.

So this is how it looked...

Driver on right side there still a little dazed, passenger taking photos

img_2215-1.jpg

The tyre marks from my car as he shoved me across my lane

img_2217-1.jpg

the amount of space left on the other side of the lorry as he cuts me up

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

Passenger trying to argue his point

img_2218-1.jpg

Other passenger as he goes quiet after i show him the scratch across the lorry... you can see him working out what just happened

IMG_2228.jpg

My poor baby

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

Car lifted off the ground as he has me pinned up

IMG_2226.jpg

After we had exchanged details I had to move my car... since i was being pinned up by a lorry it made sense to move mine forward to not cause any further major damage... As we tried to get my car out of this mess my bumper is caught onto his rear wheel and gets ripped off :(
They did help me put it back on with the clips and screws but to be honest i need a new rear bumper now.

The Damages:

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

As you can see although it does look bad the main damage is the rear quarter. yes also the rear bumper needs replacing, but the doors can be scrubbed down and repainted. The car drives perfectly fine with no issues to the rear wheels or tracking.

Audi have quoted me over £4k to repair the car, needless to say i wont be going with them to fix it up. But i will not let my baby go easily so i will be buying her back...

Now my question is after i get paid out how do i go about legally getting the car back on the road? i have never dealt with a Cat D car before. so what does it involve?

Off topic I know & I'm sorry for your accident, but are those sidelights..? And if so, what are they? They're super bright and a lovely colour!