Thermostat stuck open maybe ?

S3 chj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

my temp gauge on my s3 2001 model only goes up to 90 when stood still for 20-30 mins as soon as I drive it goes all the way down, vagcom said check temp sensor and thermostat so I have changed the temp sensor but it is still the same the heaters also get a little bit colder on a run, is this a stuck open thermostat ? It's also bringing the same fault code up. 17704, I got a 450 mile trip tomorrow will it be ok do you think ? It has been like this since I bought it in north Wales last week the drive home to South Wales was 261 miles I have probably done 500+ miles so far.

cheers Chris.

I would suggest the thermostat. I did mine other month. £30 all parts,from Audi Including Coolant and took approx 1.5hrs to do!

Reactions: S3 chj
I had the same problem with my s3,got the thermostat replace and it's bang on now gets up to 90 degrees in a few mins and I'm sure my mpg is better

Reactions: S3 chj
Thanks cheers lads. It should be ok for a long journey then I think.

Mines exactly the same on my a3, been like it since I bought it 8 months ago, am going to order a new stat and coolant monday from audi and fingers crossed its cured.

Same I had that problem for months too changed stat and now fine

Mine did this all through the winter and just had it changed along with coolant, 49C trick on the climate control unit now shows it peaking at 93-94c and the dash gauge never budges off 90c.

Sounds like its a very common problem then, I'm looking to get mine changed next week.

For info - 90 on the temperature dial on the dash is the correct running temperature (it is not "too hot")- I have several photos going back to when my car was new which prove that.
My car currently reads about 72 which is caused by a faulty thermostat opening too soon.