Theft

lee_fr200

Reaction score
so as most already know s and rs models are targeted as well as golf R’s

What are you guys doing for car security and home security?

Do you go to bed wondering if tonight will be the night?

I bought a golf gti 2yrs ago after bottling getting the s3 or R but I’m looking to order an rs3 shortly

Have many gone missing off here?

So far i've put CCTV up outside the house and installed a gate so the car can't be seen from the road by passer's by.

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago who had a nardo grey RS3 stolen @patters I believe. Not heard of too many thefts on here though. They will be very desirable. Upgrade your locks, security lights etc. If they want it, they'll get it. Just make it as difficult as possible for them so they hopefully move on to something easier.

Depends where you live imho, very little car theft around here (SE) even RS models. Get some security for peace of mind just don't go OTT.

TX.

Edit - or follow the lead of @D0C now he only gets tailed by hair dressers ;)

Reactions: Sandra, Frozenr6, billymc92 and 3 others
So far i've put CCTV up outside the house and installed a gate so the car can't be seen from the road by passer's by.

Your lucky with the drive.
Where I live you need to be a millionaire to have a driveway!!

But these cars don't just get nicked from your home when your tucked up fast asleep.

Problem solved, get the Ghost.

Reactions: Evil Diesel and AudiNutta
Yeah our 6 bed victorian terrace in Barnsley in a lovely part of town was £242k living oop north does have it's advantages.

I don't want a ghost or a tracker - If they are coming into my house for the keys they can take the car - I leave the keys where they can easily be found (but not fished) so they can take it, I don't want them coming upstairs threatening me/the wife to show them how to start the damned thing. Also I never want to see it again if it gets stolen, it'll never be the same again after they've had it.

Reactions: VAG_Club001, oli356, Behind The Bins and 1 other person
Well I’m looking to get a gate, security lights and cctv and I had a Clifford alarm on my last car as I’m thinking of the proximity sensor beeping more than anything combined with the blackjax, I’m in Wakefield West Yorkshire (which is apparently a crime hotspot in the middle ofLeeds and Bradford)

I’ve also upgraded my exterior doors to have no letterbox and mortise locks rather than the usual flat key type usually found in pvc doors, all interior doors have one way Chubb locks on them which limit movement (I think the ppl that rented it before we bought it must have been into something illegal as if you got broke into or raided you would have to smash doors down to progress to the next room)

I’m not keen on ghost on the gti forum a member had his R nicked the 3 of them were in his bedroom 1 went to start it to try it (it had ghost fitted) he came back up they produced knives which obviously terrified the wife, made him go start it then they left!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Well I’m looking to get a gate, security lights and cctv and I had a Clifford alarm on my last car as I’m thinking of the proximity sensor beeping more than anything combined with the blackjax, I’m in Wakefield West Yorkshire (which is apparently a crime hotspot in the middle ofLeeds and Bradford)

I’ve also upgraded my exterior doors to have no letterbox and mortise locks rather than the usual flat key type usually found in pvc doors, all interior doors have one way Chubb locks on them which limit movement (I think the ppl that rented it before we bought it must have been into something illegal as if you got broke into or raided you would have to smash doors down to progress to the next room)

I’m not keen on ghost on the gti forum a member had his R nicked the 3 of them were in his bedroom 1 went to start it to try it (it had ghost fitted) he came back up they produced knives which obviously terrified the wife, made him go start it then they left!

*** !! Scumbags.

I can see your point in that part of the country.

I got the actual story on PistonHeads but he copy and pasted it from the gti forum! Just scary stuff

Story lifted from PistonHeads

From a Golf GTI forum today;

Just had word last night that a good friend of mine in West Yorkshire had his 8 month old Golf R stolen last night in what he's described to be as a very violent and harrowing experience.

He's had the car nearly stolen once before, but then had the Autowatch Ghost fitted (as recommended by his insurance company). Well on Tuesday night he was woken by three large men in balaclavas in his bedroom demanding they give him the keys (they had broken in though the patio). He duly gave them the keys without hassle, but whist one of the guys went down to the car, the other two stayed with him and his wife.

Minute later he was back and in a foreign language (he thinks eastern European - maybe Romanian, Serbian etc.) said sometime to his other colleagues and one of them produced a large knife and grabbed his wife Julie, and threatened to cut her if he didn't start the car for them. Obviously he didn't hesitate and went downstairs to the car and entered his pin, and they drove off with his car and another BMW X5 they had waiting.

Police attended and are treating this very seriously as you can imagine, although CID did say they hadn't been made aware of eastern Europeans operating in the area and it's the first time that an aggravated car theft in his area had been so violent.

Needless to say my mate is still very shaken but his wife Julie is in pieces and inconsolable. To make matters worse his two kids (one 5 and one 2 year old) were in the next rooms. What sort of pond life scum does that to a family over a ****** car !!! I don't normally think this, but I hope they loose control at high speed and plough head on into a motorway bridge and all die a most painful death (assuming no one else is involved of course). A horrible thing to wish for, but my friend and his wife are one of the nicest and friendliest couples you could ever wish to meet, and this sort of thing just shouldn't' happen in civilized society.

Needless to say, he doesn't ever want to see the car again and said he will never get a nice new car ever again. Said he can't go though that twice. My heart really goes out to the pair of them, and I doubt the scumbags will ever be caught.

Might be broken, car won't start can't help you. That is rare anyway most thieves will **** off if they can't get away immediately.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: lee_fr200 and AudiNutta
Ive got CCTV, garage is triple locked, piercing house alarm, stoplock pro steering lock, Ghost and another item I won’t disclose on here, upgraded the locks on all doors, sash locks on windows....

Done all I can.

Yes I do sometimes worry about it, but don’t think of it when I get into bed at night and I wouldn’t sleep if I did.

Reactions: lee_fr200
I'm a bit surprised you don't take yours up to bed with you @AudiNutta ;)

TX.

Reactions: zaka7, Evil Diesel, Jonny B and 5 others
Autowatch ghost!! Really does do the job...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

To be honest I don't really do anything, OX is a very low crime area and have never really worried about it. I don't have Advanced Key which makes it slightly harder with all these cloning things now. End of the day, if they want it so much then they'll have it, and it's only a car, but there is some much more exotic metal in close proximity so they'd be dumb to steal an RS3

I have a steering lock for deterence, but sadly if they really want it they will really get it. As much as it would pain me, it is just a car and can be replaced...

Ive got CCTV, garage is triple locked, piercing house alarm, stoplock pro steering lock, Ghost and another item I won’t disclose on here, upgraded the locks on all doors, sash locks on windows....

Done all I can.

Yes I do sometimes worry about it, but don’t think of it when I get into bed at night and I wouldn’t sleep if I did.

Come on AudiNutta, we all know the additional item is a hungry wolf in the car overnight...!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Terminator x
I had a car nicked some years ago and it is not one of my best feelings looking out of my bedroom window, up and down the road and my pride and joy was gone.
Not good at all.
If this got nicked I'd be gutted but doubt I'd feel too bad, it is only a car.

I could get a Merc with the insurance! :racer:

Had my rs3 arou d 5 weeks, last friday night our dog woke us up at 2.20am to the smell of burning. The little **** tards tried to blow tourch through the door. Little did they know we have rock doors so unless they had a tank they had no chance. Other than the rock doors and since the incident all internal doors have locks, cctv motion detection front and back with alarm in the bedroom, bollards on the drive and ghost fitted nothing more am willing to do

Wow, and i thought we had it bad here in Sweden. Few more years then i will probably have to buy some home security, gun included.

Reactions: KKOG
Had my rs3 arou d 5 weeks, last friday night our dog woke us up at 2.20am to the smell of burning. The little **** tards tried to blow tourch through the door. Little did they know we have rock doors so unless they had a tank they had no chance. Other than the rock doors and since the incident all internal doors have locks, cctv motion detection front and back with alarm in the bedroom, bollards on the drive and ghost fitted nothing more am willing to do
Christ, blow torches! The lengths these scum go to... problem is that they get caught and it's a slap on the wrist and maybe a few months inside with free dinners, then they're out and at it again.

Hand guns should be an option with an RS3... :gun:

Reactions: Evil Diesel
A new thing police said

Attachments

• 20180310_121901.jpg
    20180310_121901.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
Christ, blow torches! The lengths these scum go to... problem is that they get caught and it's a slap on the wrist and maybe a few months inside with free dinners, then they're out and at it again.

They get caught????? There aren't enough police and they are too busy with other things than car theft. Hence the seemingly free-reign these thugs/a**e biscuits/scum/etc have....

The policing situation is not unique to the UK either....

No they didn't, they did manage to steal 2 golfs and a passat just down the road.

They get caught????? There aren't enough police and they are too busy with other things than car theft. Hence the seemingly free-reign these thugs/a**e biscuits/scum/etc have....

The policing situation is not unique to the UK either....
In my case they got caught. But you're absolutely right, they rarely get caught!

Reactions: E15 and Ozmosis
I had a car nicked some years ago and it is not one of my best feelings looking out of my bedroom window, up and down the road and my pride and joy was gone.
Not good at all.
If this got nicked I'd be gutted but doubt I'd feel too bad, it is only a car.

I could get a Merc with the insurance! :racer:

but why would you want a Merc, maybe it is where I live but merc service is every bit as bad as I have heard about some of the worst Audi service I have read about here.

but why would you want a Merc, maybe it is where I live but merc service is every bit as bad as I have heard about some of the worst Audi service I have read about here.
I won't have any of my cars serviced by any dealer, I go to someone I trust and is half the cost and I'm hoping that a Merc won't rattle, click, rust, have brake failure, sound crap when it starts up from cold, have squealing brakes and the rest of the unacceptable issues an RS3 can have. It's odd really because my Q5 has been brilliant with no crappy issues at all.
Odd..

Not sure any security will stop the determined thief and don't put yourself at risk. As well as a tracker I have installed a large spike under the drivers seat that can be activated remotely to in-pail the thieving ******* to the roof.

Reactions: zaka7, dp_motley, lee_fr200 and 5 others
I won't have any of my cars serviced by any dealer, I go to someone I trust and is half the cost and I'm hoping that a Merc won't rattle, click, rust, have brake failure, sound **** when it starts up from cold, have squealing brakes and the rest of the unacceptable issues an RS3 can have. It's odd really because my Q5 has been brilliant with no crappy issues at all.
Odd..
I had 2 years of pretty much faultless service from my RS3 .. still for sale at Bristol Audi. Modern M-B are really low rent so don’t hold your breath.

I had 2 years of pretty much faultless service from my RS3 .. still for sale at Bristol Audi. Modern M-B are really low rent so don’t hold your breath.
Thought it would hang around. No sports exhaust is a real no go on these cars.

Still, you're rid of it. And enjoying what I must say is a cracking car in the RS4.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Shawn8V
They seem to be selling others without S/exhaust.. frankly if that’s a dealbreaker given all the other spec it could be easily converted or so I’m told. No s/exhaust on RS4 either

They seem to be selling others without S/exhaust.. frankly if that’s a dealbreaker given all the other spec it could be easily converted or so I’m told. No s/exhaust on RS4 either
Cars without sports exhausts have (generally speaking) always struggled to sell, as further evidenced by yours.

RS4 might be a different story, seeing as it doesn't sound as good to start with ;)

Only kidding! But brave decision IMO. I'm sure you're enjoying the car nonetheless.

Cars without sports exhausts have (generally speaking) always struggled to sell, as further evidenced by yours.

RS4 might be a different story, seeing as it doesn't sound as good to start with ;)

Only kidding! But brave decision IMO. I'm sure you're enjoying the car nonetheless.

A proper aftermarket exhaust on the rs4 does really wake up it. YouTube rs5 manhart, that’s how the car should have sounded from factory.

Reactions: Terminator x

I hadn’t heard either RS4 exhausts before ordering but listened to both on RS5 and after my standard 8vRS3 both were quieter. The difference between both RS5 exhausts was barely notable and I decided that £1200 was not worth it. As for RS3 vs RS4 the 3 is clearly falling into the sub £30k market now with a younger buyer and noisy exhaust will almost certainly be more of a pull than for the RS4 market.. hoping! As for RS4, as mentioned before I’m in love.

Reactions: D0C
A proper aftermarket exhaust on the rs4 does really wake up it. YouTube rs5 manhart, that’s how the car should have sounded from factory.
Totally agree which is why I'm keeping an eye on it ;) tbf to Audi though they are only following upcoming noise Regs, all cars will be getting less noisy.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Wow, and i thought we had it bad here in Sweden. Few more years then i will probably have to buy some home security, gun included.

It IS very bad here in Sweden.
Got robbed of my last rs3 with a knife to my throat outside my house. It was later found in Malmö, I live in Stockholm.
It then stood at the police 2 months for technical inspection and when i got it back from the police i found a gun on the backseat floor! :flushed:

IMG 1684

Reactions: billymc92
It IS very bad here in Sweden.
Got robbed of my last rs3 with a knife to my throat outside my house. It was later found in Malmö, I live in Stockholm.
It then stood at the police 2 months for technical inspection and when i got it back from the police i found a gun on the backseat floor! :flushed:

View attachment 151161
I see the police gave your car a detailed inpection before giving it back to you :gun2:

Reactions: Evil Diesel, Terminator x, dp_motley and 2 others
Just watched Shmee's review of it. Definitely sounds better and looks like it really shifts.

Did you keep the gun? :thumbs up:

Reactions: KKOG