THE SHOCK OF MY LIFE Oil warning light !!!!!!!

LukeB90

Reaction score
So the car was serviced 3k miles ago. I was driving along this evening everything was fine the next thing I know there is a ding and there is an error message saying warning oil level low. I immediately turned the engine off and pulled over and let the engine cool. I checked the dipstick and there didn't seem to be much there. So I had to run 3k in my flip flops to the nearest garage, in the heat today that wasn't fun haha and my feet are blistered :-( not fun. I bought a couple of litres of oil to limp home I have since checked the dipstick and it's right up to max, after a couple of litres of oil surely this can't be right. Any ideas guys?

So the oil level warning is still on when oil level correct?
No it went off after putting the 2 litres in but on the dipstick the oil level is way up to max surely 2 litres wouldn't fill it to the top but when the oil light flicked up I checked and there was hardly anything on it it just seems very strange the car seems fine now the engine seems to be OK touch wood. Do you think this was just a system error or do you think it's drunk all of its oil is 3k miles if so surely there's an underlying problem somewhere?

Providing oil level was correctly set at service then, no, it should not have eaten 2 litres. I'd monitor the level regularly and record checking mileage. If you're losing oil and have further problems, please re-post.
Fingers crossed for you.

Don't be surprised if your car has an oil drinking problem. My S3 (59 plate) uses around 1/2 ltr every 1.5k miles or so.
Audi tolerance is 1/2 ltr in 1000 km or 620 miles.
I'm guessing your car is around the same age as mine? as it's very common for all tfsi's around that age to use oil due to the piston rings used at the time.
I actually had exactly the same issue as you 3 weeks after I bought it. The warning came on and there was no oil on the dipstick. The car was serviced by audi 2 months prior to sale.
I've got used to checking the oil regularly now and at least it always stays fresh lol

The stick doesn't go to the bottom of the sump. 2 litres from the bottom of the stick to well full sounds about right.

Don't be surprised if your car has an oil drinking problem. My S3 (59 plate) uses around 1/2 ltr every 1.5k miles or so.
Audi tolerance is 1/2 ltr in 1000 km or 620 miles.
I'm guessing your car is around the same age as mine? as it's very common for all tfsi's around that age to use oil due to the piston rings used at the time.
I actually had exactly the same issue as you 3 weeks after I bought it. The warning came on and there was no oil on the dipstick. The car was serviced by audi 2 months prior to sale.
I've got used to checking the oil regularly now and at least it always stays fresh lol

+1. Had same experience, thought I'd cracked the sump at first but just turns out they drink the stuff. Get into the habit of keeping a 4L can of oil in the boot which is what I do.

Or the garage didn't fill it after service to the top.

1.5-2L to go from minimum to maximum on the dipstick sounds right to me.

I reckon they didn't fill it properly after the service. Keep an eye on it and go from there.

Reactions: mister.c. and S.
Ive got millers nano drive 5w40 cfs in and the oil level doesnt move off of max

Reactions: S3Alex and HHS3
Cheers for the response guys, I think I'll just check every few days now, the keeping spare oil in the boot will defo save me a few runs in future.

I've just checked my oil level and it's way over what it should be. Been a naughty boy and not checked it since I bought it last November as the dealer told me it had just had an oil service. Up to now i've just relied on the dash warning lights :cower:

I've just checked my oil level and it's way over what it should be. Been a naughty boy and not checked it since I bought it last November as the dealer told me it had just had an oil service. Up to now i've just relied on the dash warning lights :cower:
Ouch, relying on oil warning lights is a sure way to run this engine into the ground o_0

Is your oil level well above the max level mark since nearly a year ago?

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

I haven't seen the oil burning thread. I'll have a look now.

I think it's mainly the A4's that have the bigger problem with oil consumption and Audi goodwill funded rebuilds tbh.
Mine uses a fair bit of oil and our 07 MCS uses even more and that's low mileage. Neither are a problem tbh as long as the level is checked regularly, which is what you should do anyway.
If it is using oil, you'll get to know how often to check it

Reactions: S. and leshkin
Ive got millers nano drive 5w40 cfs in and the oil level doesnt move off of max

Mine has definitely improved with Motul 300V which is directly equivalent to NanoDrive.

It still uses a bit and the breather system still catches a pile of nasty looking stuff but I expect that.

I check my three petrol V,s every week just in case and top up if i need to.

I think it's mainly the A4's that have the bigger problem with oil consumption and Audi goodwill funded rebuilds tbh.
Mine uses a fair bit of oil and our 07 MCS uses even more and that's low mileage. Neither are a problem tbh as long as the level is checked regularly, which is what you should do anyway.
If it is using oil, you'll get to know how often to check it

A3s as well. Lots being rebuilt including mine. The thread is loooooonggg.

Reactions: S3Alex
Out if interested then, how much did yours use and what year etc is it if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Ouch, relying on oil warning lights is a sure way to run this engine into the ground o_0

Is your oil level well above the max level mark since nearly a year ago?

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)
Only 2" above the Max mark :wtf: I should know better. Hasn't been driven enthusiastically since purchase, just as the wifes commuter transport otherwise oil seals would have blown. Tend to regard the A3 as a look after itself car, other projects in hand keep my attention. Might as well service it today as it's due next month anyway, just been to collect the oil and filters.

Reactions: leshkin and S.
1.8t on a 59 plate. Started using oil at 24k miles. Ended up getting rebuilt at 32k miles when consumption was 1 litre every 1200 miles.

Tell tale sign is black tail pipe surrounds.
Done for free under Audi used approved warranty. You really do need to read the oil burning thread. Affects 2008 to 2012 cars 1.8t and 2.0t in a3 a4 and a5 cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read it mate.
It is mainly A4's though as I said with a few A3 And TT's thrown in

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Soot1:
Only 2" above the Max mark :wtf:
------------------------------------------------

2" ??

Probably full of water or petrol.
Actually I have my doubts it would run that much overfull. So much windage etc.

Sorry 2cm. which is still a lot. Water & Petrol in there? the thought did cross my mind and I will be keeping a check on it from now just in case other fluids are getting in to the oil. Off to Bavaria next week so the autobahns should show up any problem.

The little A1 petrols suffer oil from oil consumption as well. The local Audi partsman has a visit every month from a lady who insists Audi top it up for her, as she considers Audi designed a duff engine the uses too much oil :sm4: