The S4 has gone

Gary_LB

Reaction score
After 20 months of ownership the S4 has gone and I have moved on to pastures new. I’ve enjoyed owning the S4 however this was always a compromise based on the need for the practically of rear doors and more motorway miles. Neither of which I have required as much as expected meaning I could go back to a coupe which has always been my preferred body style

So what have I bought? I have scratched an itch and gone back to BMW with an M2 Competiion

While I will miss the interior and all weather capabilities of the S4, the M2 has made me fall in love with driving again, taking the back roads rather than the motorway, and going out for a drive just for the sake of it

Some pics of the new steed

E465CF47 9031 4CDC 9A74 567A07E4932F

B85078EF FB61 4E9E A39D 934FA947A797

I couldn’t be happier!

Thank you to everyone for your advice over the past 2 years, I’ll be hanging around here from time to time

Attachments

• 850B3442-537A-403F-873E-6F46AE3196BE.jpeg
    850B3442-537A-403F-873E-6F46AE3196BE.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: Tej13, Jcbmally, keenu and 8 others
It looks the business. Bet you’re super happy. Get some interior pics up too. Happy driving. Is it just RW drive then I take it?

Reactions: Gary_LB
After 20 months of ownership the S4 has gone and I have moved on to pastures new. I’ve enjoyed owning the S4 however this was always a compromise based on the need for the practically of rear doors and more motorway miles. Neither of which I have required as much as expected meaning I could go back to a coupe which has always been my preferred body style

So what have I bought? I have scratched an itch and gone back to BMW with an M2 Competiion

While I will miss the interior and all weather capabilities of the S4, the M2 has made me fall in love with driving again, taking the back roads rather than the motorway, and going out for a drive just for the sake of it

View attachment 186394

View attachment 186396

I couldn’t be happier!

Thank you to everyone for your advice over the past 2 years, I’ll be hanging around here from time to time
Don't leave as others have moved on too but sticking around ;)

TX.
e7506fb61a534895288d10b6585dd13a.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, WesT-gefül, SPIKE_ and 3 others
It looks the business. Bet you’re super happy. Get some interior pics up too. Happy driving. Is it just RW drive then I take it?

Yes, rear wheel drive although having owned a number of BMWs in the past I’m used to the pros and cons. I’m sure I’ll miss the Audi more as we head into winter however I work from home, or travel by air with work so I’m not someone who needs to use the car every day

I didn’t think to take interior pics so will do some later. The seats are extremely comfortable and it’s a great driving position however the quality is not a patch on the S4 as you would expect

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Don't leave as others have moved on too but sticking around ;)

TX.
e7506fb61a534895288d10b6585dd13a.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I saw you pic of the M5C in another thread and must say it’s a beast! I drove the previous gem M5 and M6C at a BMW driver day but am yet to drive this gen. I imagine it’s an absolute beast and the switchable 4WD is interesting as offers best of both worlds

View attachment 186394

View attachment 186396

I couldn’t be happier!

Enjoy your stunning M2 CP :hearteyes:. I do really like them, and would love a blast in one. Give us all a few updates as you go.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Gary_LB
Enjoy your stunning M2 CP :hearteyes:. I do really like them, and would love a blast in one. Give us all a few updates as you go.

Cheers mate and will do! I’m just spending time getting used to it at the moment

Reactions: SPIKE_
Some interior pics as requested with a couple of comments

1 - I really like the backlight LED dash which is a great mix of analogue and digital. It’s no virtual cockpit obviously but fine for me. I tended to use apple CarPlay for sat nav so did not often get he benefit of the VC sat nav anyway

2 - Seats. These are extremely comfortable and look great also. No power, memory seats in mine but I am the only one to drive it so no issue there

3 - dash/console. The mix of alcantara and carbon fibre in the cabin does a good job of making it feel a little special and also distinguishing thee M2 from my previous M135i/M235i

02F126D8 B529 4F54 B628 C0102A368C8E

D916E66A 0819 429C AD14 801EBE37888A

B9F3E5C5 7D45 406A 8142 4F2A50A37455

7DACA203 68CA 4612 9B8E 92DE50F97E69

Reactions: Jcbmally, WesT-gefül, SPIKE_ and 2 others
It’s still looks like a great place to be inside the M2c. looks great from the pics of you ask me, it’s just the Audi has the design. The S is streaks ahead but we all know Audi does the best interiors in this category. The M2c must make up any interior edges the Audi has over it? I’m sure you’ll miss the power train delivery of the Audi in winter but you know what to expect. Beautiful car man. Really is.

Reactions: Gary_LB and SiPie
It’s still looks like a great place to be inside the M2c. looks great from the pics of you ask me, it’s just the Audi has the design. The S is streaks ahead but we all know Audi does the best interiors in this category. The M2c must make up any interior edges the Audi has over it? I’m sure you’ll miss the power train delivery of the Audi in winter but you know what to expect. Beautiful car man. Really is.

Thanks mate. As you say it’s certainly a nice place to be, even if not up to the level of the S. I’ll probably notice it more adulting the winter with darker nights as the ambient lighting in the S highlights the quality which the M2C doesn’t have. I’m happy with the trade off for the looks and driver focus of the M

I’ll mess the 4WD stability over the winter but have run enough BMWs over my time to know what to expect. As long as you drive to the conditions it’s fine

Very nice! I admit that if I didn't have two kids to get in and out of the back all the time I'd have been tempted by a M2C!

My S4 went back this morning and I have replaced with an A35. Enjoy the car, looks lovely!

Reactions: cuke2u and Gary_LB
The A35 looks a great bit of kit so congrats on the purchase

Any pics?

Haven't taken many, but this is it in a nutshell...

Attachments

• C56312E3-27E5-4D66-9D67-82256102ACA2.JPG
    C56312E3-27E5-4D66-9D67-82256102ACA2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 291
Reactions: WesT-gefül, cuke2u and Gary_LB
Nice one. How does the M2 compare to the S4 in terms of performance and driving? Does the M2 sound better also?

Haven't taken many, but this is it in a nutshell...

Looks awesome in yellw! I have seen a few online in that colour and it certainly stands out!

Reactions: RB84
So to compare vs the S4 in terms of performance and driving:

Performance: The engine is certainly more immediate so when you put your foot down there is next to no lag (one of my slight gripes on with the S4 was the lag, slow response when pulling away at a roundabout for example. Acceleration is ridiculous and quicker, the M2 is certainly quicker however this is on dry roads as we have had no rain since i picked it up. You need to modulate the throttle to get the power down which i like as its more engaging than just planting your right foot.

The gear box is a little jerky in slow traffic however this is conman when comparing DCT to ZF so i was prepared for this. The DCT is definitely better when pushing on though and i find 7 speed better than 8 when in manual mode as you are not forever changing gears. I use manual mode more than i did in the S4.

The M2 feels small and light vs the S4, again, no surprise there but the M2 is extremely easy to place on the road and into a corner. Steering and handling are a different level however we are comparing apples with oranges so to be expected. Turn in on the M2C is amazing however the M2C gets a carbon strut brace so this is improved even from the standard M2. I am yet to push the car to its limits though

Sound - This is an interesting one as the M2C suffered from being launched jsut after the new emissions laws so has the new filter. It has a purposeful growl and sounds louder in the cabin than the S4 which could be down to less insulation or synthetic sound. I would say the S4 had a better tone with a creamy sounding v6 (does that make sense?!) The S55 engine in the M2c, M3/M4 is not known for sounding good but i am pleasently surprised. Its relatively quiet in the cabin so maybe i will look at an exhaust upgrade over time however its my only car and daily driver so do not want to impact motorway driving etc

Hopefully that gives you an idea

Reactions: WesT-gefül, Jcbmally, keenu and 1 other person
So to compare vs the S4 in terms of performance and driving:

Performance: The engine is certainly more immediate so when you put your foot down there is next to no lag (one of my slight gripes on with the S4 was the lag, slow response when pulling away at a roundabout for example. Acceleration is ridiculous and quicker, the M2 is certainly quicker however this is on dry roads as we have had no rain since i picked it up. You need to modulate the throttle to get the power down which i like as its more engaging than just planting your right foot.

The gear box is a little jerky in slow traffic however this is conman when comparing DCT to ZF so i was prepared for this. The DCT is definitely better when pushing on though and i find 7 speed better than 8 when in manual mode as you are not forever changing gears. I use manual mode more than i did in the S4.

The M2 feels small and light vs the S4, again, no surprise there but the M2 is extremely easy to place on the road and into a corner. Steering and handling are a different level however we are comparing apples with oranges so to be expected. Turn in on the M2C is amazing however the M2C gets a carbon strut brace so this is improved even from the standard M2. I am yet to push the car to its limits though

Sound - This is an interesting one as the M2C suffered from being launched jsut after the new emissions laws so has the new filter. It has a purposeful growl and sounds louder in the cabin than the S4 which could be down to less insulation or synthetic sound. I would say the S4 had a better tone with a creamy sounding v6 (does that make sense?!) The S55 engine in the M2c, M3/M4 is not known for sounding good but i am pleasently surprised. Its relatively quiet in the cabin so maybe i will look at an exhaust upgrade over time however its my only car and daily driver so do not want to impact motorway driving etc

Hopefully that gives you an idea

Great insight, thanks

Reactions: Gary_LB