The S4 build wait thread

My OCD has gone into overdrive...after owning an oil burner for the past 4 years, I was at the pump (already!!) today muttering to myself .."unleaded..unleaded..unleaded..unleaded..!!"

Reactions: Keef
Daytona Avant is so nice. You have managed to collect on the worst weather week though. :)

My OCD has gone into overdrive...after owning an oil burner for the past 4 years, I was at the pump (already!!) today muttering to myself .."unleaded..unleaded..unleaded..unleaded..!!"
Make friends with the pump, you'll be there more often now but you won't mind.

Reactions: Keef
Scotty - We are getting the brunt of it down here in the South-West but it did clear for collection time :)
Haha - Avge: 26mpg today "Efficiency-Mode" - yeah right?!

Scotty - We are getting the brunt of it down here in the South-West but it did clear for collection time :)
Haha - Avge: 26mpg today "Efficiency-Mode" - yeah right?!
26 mpg is about my long term average. I only really use Auto and Dynamic.

Congrats pal, very nice - wish my Daytona still looked that clean!
Had those wheels on my previous A4 3.0TDi BE, really like them but wanted silver rotors this time.
IMO Daytona works best with silver wheels....just saying:)

Oh don't even bother with economy / efficiency Mode - I'm averaging 24.5mpg, happy with that!

Thanks,
I'm really pleased with the alloys but they really are 'kerb magnets'!! - I need some tyres off Kojak's car to protect them!?

Keef - once I'm done 'doing the right thing' & running it in i'll take it off efficiency….I was surprised how laboured the throttle response actually is in efficiency mode!

Reactions: scotty76
It's.... So......pretty.......*-*

I really gotta bite the bullet and fork over the cash for an approved used xD

Thanks,
I'm really pleased with the alloys but they really are 'kerb magnets'!! - I need some tyres off Kojak's car to protect them!?

Keef - once I'm done 'doing the right thing' & running it in i'll take it off efficiency….I was surprised how laboured the throttle response actually is in efficiency mode!

Leave it in Auto. It tends to favour Efficiency most of the time anyway is my experience. Most noticeable when you flick from Auto to Dynamic and it changes down at least 2 gears, sometimes 3! :) Also throttle response is so much sharper in Dynamic. I was never sure what difference ADS would make but the modes are quite different. Though not really sure I see any difference between Auto and Comfort.

I tend to stay in comfort with the occasional flip to dynamic - I have 'individual' set-up for everything 'dynamic' apart from gear changes as sometime they
can be a bit brutal for normal driving. Don't think I've ever used auto

I tend to stay in comfort with the occasional flip to dynamic - I have 'individual' set-up for everything 'dynamic' apart from gear changes as sometime they
can be a bit brutal for normal driving. Don't think I've ever used auto
Don't have MMI so can't set individual.

Quick question re:MMI
I have a cd that won't copy to the jukebox, it's just greyed out in the source option, is this a copyright thing?

Quick question re:MMI
I have a cd that won't copy to the jukebox, it's just greyed out in the source option, is this a copyright thing?

It needs to be enabled via the MMI hidden menu:

Enable Import CDs to MMI's HD

[Hidden menu]
Main/Diagnose/Settings
Import Media
Set to 4 of 4 "Copy/Ripping"
If you have not done so already you will need to enable the hidden menu via VCDS. There is a good guide here: link

MPG wise so far 1400 miles in my long term average is 26 mpg but more often than not on a 'normal' drive I'm returning 27-28 mpg which is ****** good. Even saw 35 mpg over a long / steady 50 mph journey which again is ****** amazing.

Re running in - just boot it once its wamed up. How you drive in the first hundred miles or so is highly influential to the future performance of the car. The cylinder walls have a file like texture which is designed to bed the piston rings in tightly. After a hundred miles or so these are either gone because they've gummed up (a very fine pattern is present) or because you've run in properly and the piston rings are correctly honed.

If you just toodle along with low revs the piston rings won't be forced hard enough against the cylinder wall to wear and you'll have higher oil consumption. Varying highish revs is the key. I'm not suggesting you bounce it off the rev limiter from day one - but don't be afraid to give it WOT now and again. The brakes and tyres do need a while to bed in so take that into account.

1400 miles and the oil display on my MDI is still showing max, whatever thats worth. Need to get a proper dipstick.

Top advice & appreciated - thanks!
Glyn - do you still have an RS? ( assuming you have/had?! )

I don't feel too bad about my occasional blast while running in now. My commute to work quite often noses the mpg over 30, here's one:

IMG 20140708 074012626

Reactions: ERBY
Oh how I wish I had that RS2!
That's the car that got me into Audis, after a one thrashed my Celica GT4 carlos sainz, well that and seeing the S8 in Ronin!
Some very nice motors there Glyn:icon thumright:

Reactions: GlynRS2 and scotty76
Well….there's dedication for you!!
I always had a soft spot for RS2's - it was the whole Porsche component thing…superb!! Ditto with Keef it was the RS & the UR's that had me smitten!
Lovely history Glyn.

Reactions: GlynRS2
As the weather was so fine today I was eager to do my first wash so I could apply a sealant while its so new...Well I've only found a stone chip already !! - it's only small but it's less than a week & I've hardly driven it :(
....Blimey - doesn't take long does it?!

BTW - I'm really keen to get the supercharged badges on the wings but I'm scared stiff of bodging the removal of the V6T's....is it relatively straightforward??

BTW - I'm really keen to get the supercharged badges on the wings but I'm scared stiff of bodging the removal of the V6T's....is it relatively straightforward??

Have a look at my post I made doing it on my S5 below. It is straight forward. The biggest issue is having patience when removing the sticky residue, you just have to have wait a few minutes for the tar remover to do it's stuff and then comes off easily enough.

So today I thought I would do something about the wing badges.

25Oct2014_01_zps9bd2c171.jpg

I have never really understood the V6T script on the S5. It confuses most of those not in the know and I have already had several "so if it is a supercharged V6, why does it say V6T on the side?" type conversations. So they had to go.

Out with my garage supply of waxed dental tape which I liberated from my in-laws bathroom some years ago:

25Oct2014_02_zps3537b64d.jpg

to use for the usual badge removal technique:

25Oct2014_03_zpse54f01b6.jpg

to leave this:

25Oct2014_04_zps06a72754.jpg

So out with the tar and adhesive remover:

25Oct2014_05_zps0ea2d75c.jpg

The secret here is patience. What I do is give a good squirt of the tar remover on to a piece of kitchen towel and hold it over the remains of the adhesive tape to keep the tape soaked in the liquid. After about 5 minutes it will go all soft and squidgy and you should be able to gently roll up the adhesive tape with your finger, taking care not to use your nail of anything sharp.
This will leave you with a naked wing:

25Oct2014_08_zps1b3f962f.jpg

You could stop there. However, having removed the V6T script I wanted to replace it with something more appropriate:

25Oct2014_06_zps009f2636.jpg

:D

So you will need to download a template from here: link

Now when you put this template on the car you want to make sure that you get the edge marked "B" lined up perfectly with the wing edge to the door opening and the corner of edge "A" and edge "B" just touching the swage line. Do not try and line up edge "A" with the swage line or your badge will be all of a ****. Do it like this:

25Oct2014_09_zps45c72a1d.jpg

If you have parked you car on the level you can check that the lower template edge is level:

25Oct2014_10_zps3778f87e.jpg

Then you line up your badge with the lower edge of the template and remove the template you will be left with this:

25Oct2014_11_zps0b82d91a.jpg

As you can see in the next photo, the swage line is actually rising at this point on the wing, hence the reason not to line up edge "A" of the template with it.

25Oct2014_12_zps7d7693c8.jpg

Job done once you have done the same to the other side. Stand back and admire the much improved badging:

25Oct2014_14_zpsfe8b462d.jpg

:cool:

Reactions: ERBY and scotty76
Ok, quick question (& probably silly - so apologies in advance) as there is no indicator in the cluster display, how do we know our main beam is on??

err pass....I thought there was an indictor on the dash?
Don't worry mate, I’m sure all the friendly motorists going in the opposite direction will give you a helpful flash to tell you! :idea:

Reactions: ERBY
errrr should of said dipped!:oops:

Reactions: scotty76 and Keef
I would of expected to see it around the main instrument cluster somewhere...you're right tho' its a pain to see it on the switch itself!

Just thought id share a few pics of my mota looking incredibly clean....well until I drove it the 80 miles home anyways

Also on the way down I managed 30 mpg in efficiency mode (very boring, but efficient!)
...but after been taken for a spin in @warren_S5 freshly Revo tweaked mota it was a much different story on the return journey:racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: DrSasso, ERBY and scotty76
Please excuse my ignorance folks.. asking on behalf of a friend. He's looking at an S4/RS4 at the min. His question is "why buy an S4 at approx 40k when you can have a slightly used RS4 for 5k more?"

Thoughts and opinions please

Not an easy question to answer but I bought my S4 because:
A: The RS4 hadn't been released
B: Having owned a B7 S4, fuelling another V8 didn't appeal!
C: The B8 S4 is a better all rounder than the RS4 - IMO!

Tell your mate to get extended drives in a well spec'd S4 back to back with an RS4 and then decide. Whatever he gets I don't think he'll be disappointed

Assuming the 40k S4 is for a new one? 5k difference...?? A very quick look reveals more of a 10k difference (not a laboured look by any means) but this of course will depend on mileage & toys - once you start digging at the detail.
For me though....IMHO they're quite different, the S4 is a far more sedate wolf in sheep's clothing offering a little bit of everything with regard to comfort, practicality & driving styles which I can switch on & off depending on mood / family on board. For me, I like to stay below the 'attention radar' enjoying the occasional doff of a cap from those 'in the know' but happy with the anonymity from everyone else...The RS is much more of a statement both in terms of performance and looks...which I must stress I really admire....but just from afar.;)
(Or I'm getting old?)

Reactions: elpeterol and scotty76
It's all choice. I never wanted an RS4. Like David I find the S4 a great all rounder and cheaper to run than an RS4. I only bought a new one as the 2nd hand ones I saw were in a shocking state and the discount on new was excellent.

Oh and this...

Reactions: Keef, elpeterol, DrSasso and 1 other person
Don't even need to click the vid to know exactly what it is. Seen many times xD another reason that swayed me to look at the b8 s4 market over the b7 ;)

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
Just been out to pump the tyres up as realised I haven't checked them since I got the car. 39psi front and 35 psi rear. Odd numbers those!

Thought I would join the fold :)

S4 Black Edition saloon ordered just before xmas and just had confirmation of a week 10 build......
Coming from currently a 2011 2.0 TFSI TT Coupe quattro S-Tronic

Spec :
Daytona Grey Pearl
quattro Sports Differential
Damper Control
Heated front seats
Folding dimming door mirrors
Leather door armrests
Tech Pack High
Adaptive Lights

Going to be a sloooow couple of months, but can still enjoy the TT in the meantime at least.

Cheers,
Stu

Reactions: ERBY, elpeterol and scotty76
The time drags towards the end and my brochure got well thumbed! Nice spec and worth the wait

Agreed nice spec. And probably a good time to be ditching the 2.0 TFSI with all the oil consumption issues.

Nice choice Stu, the wait as said was worse in the last few weeks - time really stood still! Great choice of colour too although I still haven't seen any pearl effect yet because its either dark or the weather is lousy:(

...Happy New Year everyone!