The "RS3" project

Thanks for the encouragement!

As these things often go, there is a new delay: HMS, who are building the custom exhaust, have run into a silly delay. I was to pick the car up next tuesday, but now it won't be before friday at the earliest :-(

Best to have things done properly though...

Is this the same 250hp lump from the MkV R32? My mate has one on order and plans to fit a turbo but couldn't find a stockist for the MkV. Anyone know where?

Any details on how the beast drives etc etc now you have it up and running Jaminben? Looks a monster bit of kit from than vid:hubbahubba: keep up the good work and let us now some more details...:icon_thumright:

That looks quick and I think you were only playing around!!

Feck me, I'm guessing thats 4 wheels spinning, very impressive.

afraid7.gif

ive been meaning to ask how this has been getting on now that m a fella 3.2 owner myself, Ben, enlighten us!

sat1983 said:
I'm sure JaminBen won't mind me posting this awesome vid of his "RS3"
Kicking out 400bhp +
Brilliant fella!!

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/JaminBen1/?action=view&current=DAtarbyJuju.flv

Wow, did you get the vid from the french Audi forum I posted it on, or...?

Anyways, yes the car is a BEAST. It's definitely not the same car it was prior to the turbo install: it's a completely different animal...

It was delivered to me here in southern France two weeks ago:

DSC00804.jpg

The engine work stretched to rebuilding the head, as mine had 85,000 miles on it, cast iron exhaust manifold and downpipes were painted with a ceramic heat-containing paint, while the cast aluminum intake / valve cover / oil pan / gearbox were painted with a heat-dissipating paint:

KIF_0392.jpg

KIF_0339.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

The Torsen front diff went in, and a Spec single-mass steel flywheel and ceramic clutch also - sorry no pics.

The HMS-built exhaust is perfectly shaped and welded. Of course, it required moving the rear-mounted battery up into the trunk by two inches:

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

With over 1,000 miles on the turbo, the rebuilt engine & tranny have loosened up nicely...

Upon startup the engine settles on a perfect 600rpm idle, just as before, but the soundtrack is completely different. Think Riva motorboat, or American V-8 with a teutonic edge "blub-blub-blub-blub...". It sounds fruity and mellow, but hard too.

Letting off in 1st, the car is every bit as tractable as before. A short shift into 2nd, then 3rd and 4th, and 2,000rpms aren't even touched. 2nd gear starts are just as feasible as before: the car is docile as ever, but there's also something else there: a raw energy, an underlying tension. Think friendly pitbull on a leash: it'll obey orders, but you can feel it just wanting to GO!

So when the leash is let go of, well, all hell breaks loose: the car doesn't so much accelerate as it leaps out of its skin, it doesn't just move forward no, it attacks the horizon with a frightening appetite!

When pressed, 1st gear goes by so fast the 7200rpm rev limit comes in a flash, a quick shift to 2nd pins heads steadfastly to headrests with a strain of neck muscles, 3rd keeps shoving bowels into seats but allows for more time to appreciate the 14psi of boost. 4th is more of the same, a nice blend of aceleration rate and time-in-gear, 5th and 6th need lots of road to be pressed any amount of time: reaching the revlimit in sixth has the car swallowing geography to the tune of 180 miles per hour...

So there you go, for less than the price of trading in an two year old A3 for a new one, one can have a surprising hot-rod. A car with subdued go-anywhere exterior looks, ergonomic and well-appointed interior, room for five, and a massive great engine.

I'll be sure to post better quality vids later.

Cheers,

Excellent job !

Can you please give more details about the torsen front diff and the sport clutch? I would like such an upgrade on my es three.

Cheers,
Adrian

P.S. Don't forget about the movies :respekt:

very poetic Ben! we NEED more vids and pics,

im now getting an inner urge to supercharge + NOS mine (will wait/find a company who can offer this 'properly') but then again, not so soon, thats one to come, dont want to copy you and turbocharge, that was your project, i know mine wont be as fast, but my pocket isnt as deep enough either!

Superb work. Very nice to see some decent tuning going on. Any idea how much over 400+ bhp it's pushing out?

Savage said:
Superb work. Very nice to see some decent tuning going on. Any idea how much over 400+ bhp it's pushing out?

Here's the dyno sheet for the 400hp version, from HGP's website. This is the same kit as mine, but without the additional fuel pump and race cats. It is set at a lower boost level than mine, with slightly lower fuel pressure too:

leistung_bi_r32_5.gif

My kit is rated at 445hp and 580 newton-meters of torque, on standard gas. According to the installer who did a 400hp version just before my 445hp one, the difference was greater than the numbers suggested.

----------------

Adrian, the Torsen front diff is amazing. If you have the chance, go drive a Mégane Sport (the latest version, with front Torsen diff). Or, try to find an old Honda Integra type R. Both will give you an idea of how a front Torque Biasing Differential works, pulling the nose into the turn as torque increases.

With our Haldex awd system, the front TBD and rear-driven wheels combine to lay power down early in turns, making for very fast corner-exit speeds. It's simply amazing. Quaife sell a TBD for our "02Q" MT6 gearbox. Cost is somewhere close to 1,000€, then add similar amount to have it installed. Surely it's a lot of dosh, but the impact is profound!

As for the clutch, mine is a Spec item... Let me have a few more miles with it before I give full judgement. For now, it's OK, but not incredible...

Hope this helps!

Nearly 430 ft lbs of torque, impressive!! (sorry I don't work in NM, had to convert it ;))

Thanks Ben for your helpful info. Now i know the next mods on my S3:
torsen front diff and Haldex Controller.

CJP80, i'm sure that the S3 doesn't have an LSD as standard, it has an ordinary open differential. But it would be interesting to know if that diff works on the 8P S3. Ben, please enlighten us. :)

CJP80 said:
Ben Is this the one?

[URL="http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop_images/thumb_ATBdiff83864.jpg"][/URL]
Audi S3 Quattro 02M 121C 4WD 6-speed front Quaife ATB differential

Product code: QDF14R
Catalogue Page: 67

£583.00 (Unit price exc. VAT)

Does the S3 have a LSD up front as standard?

No, that is NOT the one. The actual one needed is not on their website. I ended up with two, and so I have one (brand new, never installed) just sitting at home if anyone's interested...

The S3 has open front and rear diffs. Audi marketing cheats by saying there's an "electronic diff lock", but that is nothing more than ABS reverse: using brakes to stop a slipping wheel a.k.a. ASR.

The Torque Biasing Differential, or TORque-SENsing (TORSEN) differential works by sending more torque to the wheel with most grip (in a turn, this is always the outside tire). By receiving more torque, the outside tire pushes the car into the turn: and so the driver can reapply power much sooner at a corner's exit.

In high-hp high-tq applications, it's a must.

In an S3 which has 45 less kilos on the front wheels, this would feel even better than on my porky VR6T ;-)

JaminBen said:
No, that is NOT the one. The actual one needed is not on their website. I ended up with two, and so I have one (brand new, never installed) just sitting at home if anyone's interested...

Well, i'm planning to make the next mods (torsen diff and haldex controller) after the winter is over, so if you will have it at that time i might be interested.

I would buy it from you now, but i've just started a new business which ate up a lot of my savings, so the diff and controller will have to wait a bit. :blow:

Trust me, business first, always. When you jump into being your own boss, you need all the cash flow you can muster. Your car is already 120% awesome as it is... The mods will wait ;-)

If it isn't too indiscreet, what type of business is it?

Eeef, the total cost (suspension, brakes, wheels, motor mounts, Haldex, engine rebuild (new head), transmission rebuild and of course turbo, cost less than trading in my 2 year old A3 for a new one ;-) As I'm planning on keeping this car forever, it made "financial sense" to me...

In any case, the Peloquin TBD (see sig below) I had installed is better than Quaife's offering, stronger and more effectively oiled.

I'll have to do a seperate review for it, such is its profound effect on vehicle dynamics.

JaminBen said:
The S3 has open front and rear diffs. Audi marketing cheats by saying there's an "electronic diff lock", but that is nothing more than ABS reverse: using brakes to stop a slipping wheel a.k.a. ASR.

The Torque Biasing Differential, or TORque-SENsing (TORSEN) differential works by sending more torque to the wheel with most grip (in a turn, this is always the outside tire). By receiving more torque, the outside tire pushes the car into the turn: and so the driver can reapply power much sooner at a corner's exit.

Wouldn´t it become a problem that the S3 8P´s electronic diff lock is unremovable. a.k.a you cannot turn it off by keeping the ESP button held down for 5 secs or more?

Stockholm said:
Wouldn´t it become a problem that the S3 8P´s electronic diff lock is unremovable. a.k.a you cannot turn it off by keeping the ESP button held down for 5 secs or more?

It would be as much a problem as it is now. Perhaps a little less, as the Torsen diff makes for less front wheel spin.

Pity you guys are saddled with that silly electronic device... The torsen really works wonders on my car, especially with the HPP in its most aggressive mode.

JaminBen said:
Pity you guys are saddled with that silly electronic device... The torsen really works wonders on my car, especially with the HPP in its most aggressive mode.

I cant seem to find your post about the switch? Did you manage to get an oem look switch?

I also cant find your review on the peloquin vs the quaife, maybe I suck at searching :(

Can you futher eloborate the problems with the esp being always on, combined with the haldex controller and front lsd?

JaminBen said:
Adrian, I've just been given some film of an RS3 / S3 encounter... I need to edit it though, as it's quite long.

Well it's been more than a month now.
I hope you succeeded :)

aiculedtzu, 383bhp???

What's your boost peaking at?

What exactly is done at stage 2? I have the same mods as you.

CJP80 said:
aiculedtzu, 383bhp???

What's your boost peaking at?

What exactly is done at stage 2? I have the same mods as you.

Hi mate,

In overboost i have around 1.5 BAR and 1.3 / 1.35 BAR constant boost pressure, but i have to use 99 RON fuel or above to get that power.

The funny thing is that with the Wetterauer remap i had 1.8 BAR in overboost and 1.4-1.5 constant boost pressure, but less power and torque. So i guess boost isn't everything.

And just to make it clear, i was very satisfied with the Wetterauer Remap, but Superchips made me a better one and also it is much safer for the turbo.

dynosuperchipsyq5.jpg

P.S. Sorry Ben for the offtopic.

Sorry,

How do they extract more power with less boost?