The power is different day to day..? S3

M

mjr901

I've been puzzled these last few weeks to be honest.

Sometimes I switch the car on and it feels extremely lively, it feels like its peeling back the road if you like.

Down a couple of gears and you can really notice its going for it.

Then other times and almost 1/2 the time it will feel extremely slow, under- powered and dare I say it..standard...

Even the Mrs agrees!?

its done 8k since new and 7k of those miles with stage 2 Shark.

Time for new plugs and a service?

I've cleaned the air filter, no noticeable differences.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I get this to a small degree,with the car some days feeling a bit down,but I would think this has a lot to do with ambient temperature and air density etc,and whatever that does to timing and fuelling,as I know it's not boost related.

Its used 1 litre of oil since (new) I've had it, which isn't too bad. it does get abused quite alot.

However it does smell quite alot in ther, very pungent. not sure what. perhaps a petrol smell. I'm not really sure.

I keep putting it down to temperature aswell, it's great to drive in the mornings, pretty boring to drive on the way home later on in the day!

Should I just service it then? probably needs one no?

Its used 1 litre of oil since (new) I've had it, which isn't too bad. it does get abused quite alot. However it does smell quite alot in ther, very pungent. not sure what. perhaps a petrol smell. I'm not really sure. I keep putting it down to temperature aswell, it's great to drive in the mornings, pretty boring to drive on the way home later on in the day!Should I just service it then? probably needs one no?
I have mine serviced every 5 000 miles or so for oil,and catch tank,plus plugs,but as my intercooler is huge(LOL) and the thing also enjoys water/meth,any drop off is insignificant on a long hot run,but I think what the car has set when it starts up may be the answer.

Its used 1 litre of oil since (new) I've had it, which isn't too bad. it does get abused quite alot.

However it does smell quite alot in ther, very pungent. not sure what. perhaps a petrol smell. I'm not really sure.

I keep putting it down to temperature aswell, it's great to drive in the mornings, pretty boring to drive on the way home later on in the day!

Should I just service it then? probably needs one no?

When you say that it's a petrol smell is coming from the oil itself (when you check the dipstick for instance can you smell it?)

^^ yep, but im not sure its a petrol smell....it doesnt seem to be an oil smell as its alot more noticeable than that.

I literally give it death every time i use it.... so i should imagine im due a oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine smells slightly of petrol too which i thought was a bit odd. what colours your oil, i always thought that the oil should be golden coloured however mine is very dark, which i was told was normal (possiblely long life, haven't had the car very long).

well ive literally just topped mine up a few days ago, but its still fairly dark to be honest.

it should be a very light brown. but it definitely shows signs of darker colours, much deeper brown/black and ofcourse it smells a fair bit.

Im not surprised about that the oil has 'discoloured' and darkened, it does that after a while but the smell of petrol did surprise me.

Ill be even more shocked when i come to buy 5 litres of 5/30 fully synthetic. so flaming expensive!!

Have u checked ur MAF as mine is ********... and car is limp mode

Have u checked ur MAF as mine is ********... and car is limp mode

checked it for what? growth? fleas? ive got no warning lights etc, to be honest its probably just me being pedantic.

ill drive the 4x4 for a few days than jump back in the Audi :yes:

That's the thing mate. Mines the exact same. Audi could not find a fault today and when I use my shark unit to do a fault erase with error codes the car comes back to life.

That's the thing mate. Mines the exact same. Audi could not find a fault today and when I use my shark unit to do a fault erase with error codes the car comes back to life.

very strange :meeting:

Its normal enough for the oil to both smell a bit of petrol and to go dark quickly in the TFSI engines. Same thing happened with my GTI.

I have noticed that the oil consumption of my S3 is considerably less than it was with the GTI. Some people with GTI's used to report high oil consumption and others next to none. Seems to be a bit of a lottery with these engines?

^^ yep, but im not sure its a petrol smell....it doesnt seem to be an oil smell as its alot more noticeable than that.

I literally give it death every time i use it.... so i should imagine im due a oil change.

When did you last change the oil?

Audi's long-life service intervals can be up to 20 000 miles.

If you never thrash the car,and never remap it,that just might be OK,but if you do anything to the car at all,then it's worth changing the oil and plugs much more regularly.

Mine gets both every 5 000 miles.

If it was standard and you drove it hard it would go 10k between services but yours is stage 2 and a pretty new engine so probably needs a service pretty soon, it sounds like it is well run in ;)

Chris

i went on a road trip round Europe with it 2 months after I had bought it.

so it was run in quite well!

Service it is then!

i went on a road trip round Europe with it 2 months after I had bought it.

so it was run in quite well!

Service it is then!

The thing is,if you treat the engine well,it will last.

If you don't,it'll cost.....LOTS.