The NHN Retrofitting Service

Pii

Reaction score
Long overdue write-up but is one that I decided that I would do after Nigel helped me install a few bits and bobs.

BACKGROUND

Being a somewhat lightweight in mods, my abilities are limited to the washer-jet fans and cupholder mods ;). As you can imagine I often see things that interest me but are either beyond my capabilities or I just don't have the time to investigate or sort out. When it came to Electric Folding Mirrors I knew that I would have to call upon services from professionals or a fellow forum enthusiasts. Seeing NHN appearing to be the OEM retrofit-king I starting asking if this was something he could consider installing for me; funnily enough it was.

I'm sure Nigel thought at some point I was a 'hoax customer' but he had the patience to see through my questions and anxieties and a few conversations later, between juggling work, Nigel's work and Smudge's monopoly over his time we finally committed to a date and agreed the work that would be undertaken.

THE INSTALLATION

After some drama at Audi Nigel and I finally meet. A quick conversation about what we would be doing and some time spent on eyeing up his work in progress car (shockingly WIP) and we were ready to start work on mine. Well, after a cuppa tea anyway!

It's probably worth mentioning at this point that I gave Nigel 2 hours notice to source some 09 Rear lights which he somehow managed to materialize so thank you and hats off to you :respekt:

Back on subject - the install... so the door panels were taken out and the exisiting mirrors were popped off, the motor and door modules were removed and replaced. Throughout the process Nigel explained things and tried to educate me on ceratin aspects of tackling car mods in a sensible manner so that I would have an idea of what to do should I ever wish to try some mods myself in the future. This was something that I really appreciated as I am somewhat a bit of a late bloomer for car mods.

Nothing more really to talk about the process here so here are some exciting pictures of the new mirror motor:
P1010881.jpg

P1010884.jpg

Anyway, seeing as Nigel had the door panels out I quickly dropped a bombshell on him and asked if he could install some illuminated BOSE speaker grills which i had kicking about for a while :sly:. After spending what seemed like hours on testing the door lighting circuits as well as fixing the damaged product, the speakers grills were in and working! The end result actually looks identical to originals until the headlights come on:
P1010895.jpg

A picture from another forum to show what they look like when on:
Bose008.jpg

Ok so fast forward some more drama and the door switch was on and fucntional. Again not much to see so here is an equally exciting picture of the switch:
P1010894.jpg

On with the 09 Rear Lights which Nige pulled out of a magic hat. Now these were done probably done in 5 minutes whilst I was on the phone so I missed the process however I have been informed but several people that they are plug and play! You've all seen rear lights on other cars so I am just throwing this pic in as you can just make out the original in the boot and the contrast can be seen quite nicely:
P1010897.jpg

Seeing as Nigel was on the roll we also exchange the rear shelf string to the lovely 8L retractable strings. Needed some minor drilling to the shelf and some glue but I think this has taken away that annoying thud sound you get (when it sounds like the parcel shelf is knocking against something). Not much to see but here is a Work in Progress shot of the retractables being fitted:
P1010903.jpg

I also took the opprtunity to ask Nigel about my 'saggy door' problem where the door lock catches the hinge as it closes. Out comes a screwdriver and 5 minutes later my door is fixed also - RESULT!!

To top it off, he noticed that my Glove box wasn't opening properly and popped over to my neighbour's house to borrow grease! This was going the extra mile and I was well and truely impressed and thankful for him for doing so. A few minutes later and my glove box was the best it has ever been. Top Man!!

In short, by the end of the day the following activity had taken place on my car:
- Auto folding mirrors
- Illuminated BOSE speaker grills - come on when headlight are on and stay one for some time after keys are removed from engine and doors are opened. Very Nice!
- 09 Rear Lights
- Parcel shelf retractable strings
- Saggy door fixed
- Stubborn Glovebox fixed

Unfortunately there are no real end result picturs as these are all things that allow the car to still look stock so this is probably the end of this thread.

SUMMARY

What started out as single mirror mod ended with NHN addressing several issues on my car and I am positive that Audi could not have done a better job. It is also nice to see someone, who is working on your car, that REALLY cares about the end result and ensuring the job is done properly with a perfect finish!

If there is anyone out there who, like me, isn't comfotable with picking up a spanner and requires some form of retrofitting then I would highly recommend using NHN for his services.

I can safely say that I was very happy at the end of the day and despite a few hiccups, some very long hours and 2 return trips, it was an absolute pleasure to meet NHN.

Finally I thought I'd share this moment with you guys as it certainly put us into hysterics for a while:
P1010879mod.jpg

Nige, you are an absolute star and I honestly had a good laugh throughout day! The work you did was ace and I am still loving it.

Thank you!
Pii

Last edited:
i agree nige is the man, he has given me the confidence to take on some ambitious undocumented things, speaking of which ill need to drop him a pm at some point doe to my elsa failures

I like the look of the light up Bose grill, where did you find them?

Certainly from my perspective I would go back to him for any new bright ideas I see! Can absolutely vouch for his work being top notch. 100% recommend seeking out NHN for any retrofitting that anyone thinks is beyond themselves.

1st I'd like to say that mirror was the icing on the cake for the day huh, it was the 1st of a few issues that WE overcame, but for me to say "this is how a pro removes a mirror" that I've done a million times with no breaks then yours breaks is unreal, but hey nobodies perfect least of all me but we were ******* ourselves at it tbh, Phil took it in very good humour & I promptly replaced the glass which HE STILL HASNT FITTED, lmfao.

Conclusion:

Phil is a top bloke, absolute pleasure 1st to meet the guy, chat about stuff & enjoy untold cups of tea, he also bought us Pizza which was extremely kind of him, but also to get his lovely motor upto a spec he wanted (with his neverending list of jobs) lol, but it was a great day out for sure & I really did enjoy myself.

The grease was actually vaseline, dont know what Phil did it with when I left :eyebrows:

So I'd like to give a thanks to Phil for being a great host & making a new friend.

BOSE grills are indeed from that website carstyles4u. They are actually genuine Audi BOSE grills modified with an LEDs behind them and are a really nice touch for the interior.

They do however need to be wired into the lighting wires though which was not as straight forward as expected. An interesting experience as Nigel would be able to tell you.

Yes we had 2 choices really huh Phil, cant remember which circuit we used in the end, it was either the handle illumination circuit or the window switch illumination circuit

Nige the mirror moment was absolutely brilliant hence I spent the time doing that last photo in adobe. Yes the replacement glass came through without any fuss. Just a shame I have yet to fit it lol.... On a serious note thank you for accomdating my never ending list :eyebrows:

Vaseline you say? I thought you said you would need to take it home due to some exceptional circumstances :whip:

It was a great day and the pleasure was all mine mate! Look and forward to seeing you again.

Nige the mirror moment was absolutely brilliant hence I spent the time doing that last photo in adobe.

Vaseline you say? I thought you said you would need to take it home due to some exceptional circumstances :whip:

lmfao still chuckling about it lmfao.

Hey I'm in the home stretch now mate, 4-6 weeks & baby out, but chance of me getting laid then are remote, so maybe send that down afterall lmfao

Hmmm i forgotten the technical part and only recall that the end result options were:
1) Match internal illumination and would for some odd reason would also stay on for a bit after you got out the car
2) Match illuminatuion of footwell lighting only

Could be wrong, it was confusing!!

lmfao still chuckling about it lmfao.

Hey I'm in the home stretch now mate, 4-6 weeks & baby out, but chance of me getting laid then are remote, so maybe send that down afterall lmfao

LMAO!!! Say the word and I'd go and buy you a box of em if you want!!

Can you two just get a room!!

Anyway, I've never met the geezer and apart from his crap jokes he seems like a top man to me. Helped me on here with a couple of fixes and definitely knows his stuff.

I say make him a moderator.

In fact, no, don't. He'd be an absolute nightmare.
:happy:

nigel is a top lad, helped me like a freind id known for years within the space of 2hours. saved me time and alot of money!

dont forget those tickets!

Could do with a `Northern Nige` so a can get my RNSE issues sorted.:sorry:

Paul whats the issues?

Kind of know the fix but need some one to do it.

-No FM signal- Need an extra antenna? (Had concert before, 57 plate car, double din)
- "The number is being dialed" announcement on the Phone function is WAAYYYY to loud.
- Call disconnect BONG has left me `corned beef` too.
-Call history menus for the phone function is greyed out.

Errr think thats it, everything else seems fine however its never had any coding done so that might through up some other minor issues.

If Im honest I dont have the time/tools/knowedge/interest to sort it myself and just need some one to do it for me.
I understand that if it needs a retro fit antenna then it a couple of hrs work, roof lining out, tailgate panel off etc...PITA TBH.

cheers
Paul

I'd happily come along & fix your issues if my time was covered as its a long haul up to yer mate, which I'm sure you understand.

Can you two just get a room!!

Anyway, I've never met the geezer and apart from his crap jokes he seems like a top man to me. Helped me on here with a couple of fixes and definitely knows his stuff.

I say make him a moderator.

In fact, no, don't. He'd be an absolute nightmare.
:happy:

Coming from you is definitely something to print & hang on my wall lmfao, feel like I've been knighted, lol

Thanks mate, hey I like to help people out where I can on the things I know how to do, I'm no retro king of anything, although I appreciate the comments, I just like to read, test & try different things aswell as having a ****** good laugh too, to also include breaking people side mirror glass, damn it thats perfect record screwed now.

I'd happily come along & fix your issues if my time was covered as its a long haul up to yer mate, which I'm sure you understand.

Appreciate the offer mate, I would imagine The North East might be a bit too far though.

Read a post that you were at Inters?
I was there myself, should have posted up and asked if anoyone fancied looking at it then.
Hum Hum, hindsight and all that.

I guessing I need some wiring and coding?

cheers
Paul

No mention of me i see.....i know when i'm not wanted guys...it's fine :sob:

But yes, Nige is the man

Phil, come over and see my car, we can have races to see who's mirrors fold quicker :lmfao:

Haven't worked with Nige yet, but been speaking to him this past week about an install and has been a huge amount of help. Especially yesterday mate, and Lea too (forgot his username). Had a couple bits of good news :yahoo:

Looking forward to working with him in the future.

No mention of me i see.....i know when i'm not wanted guys...it's fine :sob:

But yes, Nige is the man

Phil, come over and see my car, we can have races to see who's mirrors fold quicker :lmfao:

Haha - Ok ok. Jordan also popped down in his Corsa :jump:. Took him 45 minutes so that was some disatance just to pop by and say hi :thumbsup:

Racing auto folding mirrors !! LMAO!!!

UPDATE: I've just noticed I did mention you! '...Smudge's monopoly over his time...' :sly:

Last edited:
Feels like a lot of people have the summer mod bug!

Smudge - it's time my friend! in your case it needs to be a full on build thread. Might give you a bell later if I get out of this office.

I've not used him YET but hes helped loads in PMs!!! Cheers mateyboy!

Edited! Due to lack of sleep and mind not working due to stressful day!

Last edited:
I think im starting to want folding mirrors now too... :w00t: Feel all empty inside and left out!

How much does it all set you back to do?