The Moon

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
Staff member
Lovely clear night, grabbed a cheeky waxing gibbous...

Canon 50D, Canon 100-400L MkII, Canon 2x MkIII extender, 1280mm, f11, ISO100, 1/50sec
20170109-IMG_9580.jpg

<tuffty/>

Happy Grumpz

Silver Supporter
That's a lovely shot

<tuffty/>

Staff member
Great shot....must have a good sturdy tripod or a low resting pulse, did you mirror up or not ?

I have a Manfrotto 190CX tripod... but the main improvement I found was the DIY bracket I put together to help brace the lens/body and move the pivot point to get the setup balanced and more stable..

I normally shoot tethered either off my Android tablet with DSLR Controller or my Mac Air so mirror is up anyway...

The setup I use...
IMAG1774.jpg

...biggest issue is how quick the moon moves at what is effectively just over 1200mm focal length...

Planning on getting a tracking mount this year and try some deep sky objects as well..

There's a guy on a photography forum I am on, uses a tracker mount and a Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope... his results are astounding... one day I might get that involved but its a fair trek to a dark site for me so won't happen just yet.

Have managed to get a decent milky way shot though considering the light pollution in the area I took it

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

Staff member
Couple of more recent shots...

A 34% waxing crescent...
20170402-IMG_9634-Edit.jpg

...and a 99.7% waxing gibbous last night...
20170905-96dpi-50D2_IMG_9764-Edit.jpg

Full(ish) moons always seem to be a little trickier to expose due to the more harsh way they are lit... last night wasn't the clearest of nights tbh and there was quite a bit of atmospheric turbulence which gives a very 'wavy' view... focus was not as sharp as a result but there is some detail there thankfully :)

<tuffty/>

Happy Grumpz

Silver Supporter
the 1st one on your last post is a belter @<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

Staff member
the 1st one on your last post is a belter @<tuffty/>
Aye... partial moons always seem to present better detail due to the way they are lit vs fullish moons...

Determined to find a way to get over that though... using the tracker, playing with exposure and finding somewhere out of town should help...

<tuffty/>

Happy Grumpz

Silver Supporter
As ever, great shots

Ghost

Booooooo!
Gold Supporter
The BBC will be showing programs about the Moon starting next week.

Wonders of the Moon. Wed 9PM BBC1

Do we really need the Moon. Wed 10PM BBC Four

Nothing to do with photography, but thought you may be interested.

<tuffty/>

Staff member
Clear night last Thursday so tried something a little different... used my tracker mount and Pluto Trigger to take 50 images to stack and process
IMG_20181018_200340.jpg

This was the result...
20181020-wm96dpi-stacked_20181018.jpg

Worked out better than the edit I did on a single frame... :)

<tuffty/>

Rab.

Back To decent Mpg ...
Currently in Austria and the Moon Looked Fairly Clear, So out with the Camera and Grabbed a Handheld Shot...
DSC_3349.jpg