The moderately informational brake thread....

I'm running the Clio/megane calipers. It's certainly not straightforward fitting them, the easy route is to you the LCR setup.

However the Renault brembo caliper is a much better design, single piece, stronger and lighter too. Not to mention far more readily available for very little cost.

You can even buy them brand new for £300 a pair.

You use the renaultsport caliper with renaultsport pads, LCR brackets and standard LCR 323mm discs.

The brackets need a touch machining off them to tweak the offset.

I'll upload some pics later.
DSC 0594 DSC 0599 DSC 0609 DSC 0604

I'm running the Clio/megane calipers. It's certainly not straightforward fitting them, the easy route is to you the LCR setup.

However the Renault brembo caliper is a much better design, single piece, stronger and lighter too. Not to mention far more readily available for very little cost.

You use the renaultsport caliper with renaultsport pads, LCR brackets and standard LCR 323mm discs.

have you a link for brackets ? And how much did you have to take off the brackets?

I used creationmotorsport version of the LCR bracket, although their new website is terrible and I can't find them?
Think it was about 1.5mm taken off (shiny side in pic above) but it was measured in 'thou' so :shrug:.

Brake lines need to be banjo ends with M10x1 bolt. I had HEL lines from my 18Z cayenne setup but they were no good as they had 90 degree male ends.

Slightly bigger yes.
Renault are both 40mm I believe whereas the LCR are 40mm and 36mm (I think).

Porsche big reds seem to work OK on our cars and I believe they are 44mm and 36mm?

I have recently won a set of LCR Brembos that are coming with carriers, pads and Discs.

I'm looking to be pretty well equipped so when they arrive i can give them a refurbish and put them on and be back on the road straight away.

I have bought new braided lines, rebuild kit and paint + decals to give them an overhaul the only bit of information i cant seem to find is the amount of brake fluid i will need if i want to give the system a flush.

Does anyone happen to know how much fluid i would need?

i might possibly give the full system a bleed as i will be probably using a Performance brake fluid, likely ATE Super Blue which is mainly sold in 1L cans, so don't want to order more than i need.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I had problem with Brembo discs ("Gold series") on different cars, after some very strong braking I bent they. I don't know what model are your ones, so you'll not have this problem maybe, I don't know, but that was my experience.

They look just like the VAG 8 pots that are used on loads of cars - RS3/4/5 etc - there's no bolt on kit I'm aware of for the Mk4. Plenty for Mk5+ though. To be honest, the Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 6 pots are more than overkill :)

Reactions: SHUk

Any more details on the machining needed for this route?

I took 1.5mm off my brackets, however 2mm would be better to get the disc perfectly central in the caliper.

Is that 2mm from where the red lines are?

brembobracket.png

Also, from another thread :

Clio197/megane225 work perfectly with creation motorsports adapters and standard lcr discs.

Pad sweep is perfect and I bought my calipers for £80 for the pair.

The adapters need 1.5mm machine off the off set and the calipers need sleeving with 1mm wall ally tube so you can use same diameter bolts that suit the CM brackets. (although the bolts that come with the brackets aren't long enough, I had to order some longer ones).

What length bolts are needed and where did you order them from?

Is that 2mm from where the red lines are?

brembobracket.png

Also, from another thread :

What length bolts are needed and where did you order them from?
Yes it needs machining off the red lines, you also need to sleeve the actual bolt holes in the caliper with 1mm walled aluminium tube as the renault uses a larger diameter bolt.

I can't quite remember but I think the LCR caliper has 12mm holes?? And the Renault has 14mm?? The Renault is definitely one size up.

I'm sorry I cannot remember how long the bolts I ordered were but they are high tensile cap head bolts (many suppliers on ebay).

Once you have the caliper brackets and the calipers you can easily work out the length required, be sure to allow for the thickness of a suitable washer on the bolt (see my pics further up the page).

Reactions: vanilla_ice
They are mate, Jo you will need to amend the following as its factually incorrect..
Change...
..to...
Seat Leon Cupra R

The Front brakes are 323mm x 28mm Vented (grooved/drilled option) discs with 4 piston(34/38mm) Brembo calipers
The rear brakes are 256mm x 22mm Vented , with 38m Lucas single piston calipers

...and
..to
Audi S3 | Audi TT-Quattro (225hp) | VW Golf anniversary | Golf GTI AUQ | Skodá Octavia VRS | VW Golf V5 170 | VW Golf V6 4 Motion
- The Front brakes are 312mm x 25mm Vented Discs, 54mm ATE single piston calipers
- The Rear brakes are 256mm x 22mm Vented Discs, 38mm Lucas single Piston calipers

...and
...to...
Audi A3 | Audi A3 1.8T Quattro | Golf 2.0 8v | 1.8 | TDI 115 | TDI 110 | TDI 100 | TDI 90
- The Front brakes are 280mm x 22mm Vented Discs, Single piston calipers, caliper carrier integrated into hub (FS III's)
- The Rear brakes are 232mm x 9mm Solid discs

While I can't speak with authority on the other VAG stuff (Golf's etc), with the S3, A3 quattro and Leon Cupra R I do at least do have a bit of experience of :)

<tuffty/>

Sorry to jump in on an old thread & ask a [probably] dumb question:

Do s3 front discs swap straight onto my AJQ quattro? I'm just starting a rebuild job and appreciate the help. From reading the above it's a straight swap.

Sorry to jump in on an old thread & ask a [probably] dumb question:

Do s3 front discs swap straight onto my AJQ quattro? I'm just starting a rebuild job and appreciate the help. From reading the above it's a straight swap.
Not without the caliper carriers

<tuffty/>

Reactions: joesurf
What is the "best" option for rear brakes today for track-use, guys?

What is the "best" option for rear brakes today for track-use, guys?
Whatever you have on there now... std brake bias makes little use of rears unless you remove ABS like @Prawn has and use a bias valve... oh and plumb them up right of course ;)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24 and SHUk
Whatever you have on there now... std brake bias makes little use of rears unless you remove ABS like @Prawn has and use a bias valve... oh and plumb them up right of course ;)

<tuffty/>
So without adjusting bias its worthless to put on bigger calipers? How much is the bias to the front? And if it is so much in the front would it not make the car more stable to have a little more adjusted to the back? Feels like the back is rocketing on heavy breaking sometimes.

So without adjusting bias its worthless to put on bigger calipers? How much is the bias to the front? And if it is so much in the front would it not make the car more stable to have a little more adjusted to the back? Feels like the back is rocketing on heavy breaking sometimes.

Couldn't tell you an exact figure but I replaced the rear discs and pads when I first got my car 8 years ago... and they are still not worn out...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Solberg and SHUk
You would need to correct brackets for the 18z calipers to suit the 8l chassis. I have some 18z calipers with brand new brackets and Hel brake lines that I might be willing to sell as they're gathering dust in my garage.

So, went to fit my LCR brembos to my car today. Turns out I need spacers to get them behind my OEM RSTT's.

I see H&R do a 8mm spacer kit, anyone know off hand whether they will fit my hubs?

So, went to fit my LCR brembos to my car today. Turns out I need spacers to get them behind my OEM RSTT's.

I see H&R do a 8mm spacer kit, anyone know off hand whether they will fit my hubs?
Get at least 10mm hubcentrics...

<tuffty/>

Bought some LCR Brembos for the TT off Fleabay. Hopefully with some DS3000 pads they will provide some decent stopping power.
Badger 5 do some 330mm 2 part discs that work with the Brembo LCR calipers , comes with a 3.5mm spacer that fits between the caliper and the mounting bracket to move the calipers out to match the discs.
Godspeed also do something similar. A reasonable price for what they are I think.
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/discs-/62-front-330mm-cupra-r-2-piece-discs-and-bells.html

For bigger rear brakes you can various kits to run bigger discs.
https://www.epytec.de/en/FilterResu...uattro-plattform-8n3/result/18938/category/95

Cookbot do a 300mm rear brake upgrade for just £199 including the discs.
http://www.cbauto-solutions.co.uk/s4-brake-adaptors

What are the piston sizes on those lcr brembos?

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk

Reactions: S3 Paul
Last edited:
Sorry @s3paul , I have seen that thread @Tuffty linked too and the last entry on there was over 2 years ago so wasn't sure you were still doing these.
The Cookbot copy seem to offer the option of different discs types, seems they have done a deal with Mtec to supply the discs from them direct so you get a choice of different finishes, which some people may like as they could match the rear discs to there existing front discs.
However I am all up for saving money and should I require these I will be dropping you a PM.

Is the bolt pattern same in front as back on the s3?

Think ill buy some 18z for the front but would my big reds fit in the back with the adapters from the front ofc?

I'd think twice about 18z personally, they’re really not a great choice for the 8L platform on the stock master cylinder.

The piston areas are excessively large and pedal feel and travel WILL suffer as a result. Although how much is debated strongly by users of 18z’s, the 20% increase in pedal travel is a mathematical fact.

You’re left with big heavy discs, and stupidly expensive pads with a fairly poor range or compound choices, because not that many heavy 4x4’s need race pad compounds.

Fine for a road car where you want it to look bling. Not ideally suited to a performance orientated car IMO

Reactions: Solberg
I love ASN. It's so well moderated.

I raised the issue that the 'definitive brake thread' wasn't very definitive, and was infact full of out dated incorrect information, and the admin team changed the thread title within 10 minutes :laugh:

Reactions: craigt1985 and Tj 0785
I love ASN. It's so well moderated.

I raised the issue that the 'definitive brake thread' wasn't very definitive, and was infact full of out dated incorrect information, and the admin team changed the thread title within 10 minutes :laugh:

I am also going to change the entry in the FAQ's so the 'definitive' information link creates a PM thats sent to you...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MattmanS3, craigt1985, scotty_24 and 2 others
And now, for the definitive brake thread, in two simple steps:

1. Road use and/or light track use: LCR Brembo's
2. Track use: ask @Prawn what he uses nowadays, copy his setup

Reactions: jojo and craigt1985