The History of the Audi 5 Cylinder

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score

Audi recently decided to bring back the engine that made the brand what it is today. Installing it in the mini-supercar (does it need the prefix?) TT RS, it has reminded a lot of people of why the brand caught the world’s attention in the ‘80s.

The story starts with Ferdinand Piech (as so many do), who decided that in order to make enough power to compete with luxury sedans, while still abiding by cylinder wall regulations, he would need more cylinders. As he says in this historic video published by Audi USA, an inline 6 was too big and an I4 was too small.

This led to an Audi that was more than a “teacher’s car.” As Piech explains, though, the engine wasn’t romantic at the time, it was purely practical. “We solve problems,” said Piech. “If you find it attractive, so much the better.”

Over the years, though, the engine’s many motorsport victories led it and its unique sound led it to become one of history’s great mills—we hardly need to tell you that, though.

Through rallying, sports car racing, and hill climbs the car won consistently and impressed its drivers. Combined with Audi’s Quattro all-wheel drive, the product was nearly unbeatable for years.

And now that it’s back, its drivers can be forgiven for getting a little misty eyed about the car.

http://www.quattroworld.com/audi-news/watch-history-audi-5-cylinder/

Reactions: RS03???, GW1, simonali and 14 others
After watching that I feel emotional :p

Have to keep watching it until March when my car comes!

Reactions: 45bvtc, Steff s3 and Rs1
Great video, god it takes me back to the days of my bright red Audi UR Quattro.
That I swapped plus cash my way for a Renault 21 Turbo.
What the Flipping heck was I thinking about then to do such a mad thing.
Oh well it happens,Now got an RS3 with the glorious undoubtedly 5pot engine again,but it's still not the same as that car.
The rally driving back in those days was amazing to watch, the way the crowd opened up and let it pass and close again... like a swarm of bees.
The looks I used to get in that car,bulging wings,the noise from it,beautiful black leather interior,LCD Dash,Astra GTE's was good too.
Just totally unique from all the others in the street and from my mates at the time.
Used to get pulled by the police away back then so they could look at it.
And I go and swap it for a Flipping ****** Renault.
No wonder my Da wanted to kick my stones.
Anyway youth over,but seeing them again at AITP and watching that video brought back memories.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Watching that has built some real excitement.
I have been forgetting the legacy of that engine, I cannot wait to own one and be a part of it all!

Reactions: Steff s3
It's the engine your paying for,not the car.
The engine alone from the dealership is £21,000 and that's before vat.
It may be an A3 but it's no normal A3.
As much as I loved my A3 S3.
It's not a patch on the RS3 end off.
And you Audinutta will soon realise this,you've made the right choice, even if it means staying with your parents till your 40 lol.
Mmmmmmm no I'll take that comment back. :wtf:

Reactions: 45bvtc and AudiNutta
Amazing vid, one of the better I have seen, good focus and a lot of facts. Those rallye drivers was really nuts and in their one league. Fantastic to see this now knowing I was following it already in the 80's.

Reactions: RS03??? and 45bvtc
Yes, a good find that vid!

Maybe it should bo on its own at the top of the sticky section, just to remind everyone here why the RS3 gets so much respect out there..

Reactions: 45bvtc and Bristle Hound
It's the engine your paying for,not the car.
The engine alone from the dealership is £21,000 and that's before vat.
It may be an A3 but it's no normal A3.
As much as I loved my A3 S3.
It's not a patch on the RS3 end off.
And you Audinutta will soon realise this,you've made the right choice, even if it means staying with your parents till your 40 lol.
Mmmmmmm no I'll take that comment back. :wtf:

Right now I'm having doubts, it's starting to get serious with selling the S3 and I am absolutely dreading the day.

I'm likely to sell the S3 6-8 weeks before I see the RS, which is going to make it worse and I still haven't driven the FL.

Plan with purchasing it is; pay it for 4 years now and then pay off the ballon, to own the car. I will then be in a strong position to move out. I'm 20 now and aren't in any hurry.

Right now I'm having doubts, it's starting to get serious with selling the S3 and I am absolutely dreading the day.

I'm likely to sell the S3 6-8 weeks before I see the RS, which is going to make it worse and I still haven't driven the FL.

Plan with purchasing it is; pay it for 4 years now and then pay off the ballon, to own the car. I will then be in a strong position to move out. I'm 20 now and aren't in any hurry.

It’s like driving your S3 in every way except if you try and go fast. When I test drived the RS3 it felt exactly the same - I didn’t get to go fast due to traffic. It’s just noisier, and faster if you can go faster,

It’s like driving your S3 in every way except if you try and go fast. When I test drived the RS3 it felt exactly the same - I didn’t get to go fast due to traffic. It’s just noisier, and faster if you can go faster,

I have driven an RS3, I've driven 5 of them and one of which for 8 hours. I'm hoping it will feel a little more special than the S3 though.

When I test drove an RS4 (that has been my dream car all through school) I felt extremely nervous in the build up, almost intimidated by it but that won't be the case with the RS3.

I have driven an RS3, I've driven 5 of them and one of which for 8 hours. I'm hoping it will feel a little more special than the S3 though.

When I test drove an RS4 (that has been my dream car all through school) I felt extremely nervous in the build up, almost intimidated by it but that won't be the case with the RS3.

No it feels the same as the S3 just noisier - again the FL one I had did not have a sports exhaust, but in every other way it was the same. I think the truth is having a FL S3 spoils the fun of driving it in normal conditions because it feels the same. The difference is when you put your foot down which I wasn't able to do.

Reactions: AudiNutta
By the way - totally wrong above. Sure in normal mode if feels like an S3 but you know it’s so much more special.

Reactions: Terminator x
Ah the truth comes out ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: simonali
The quintessential Audi engine, yet there isn't a 5 cylinder user group on here...