The great roadtax ripoff(or not)?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
So I purchased a car in October, drove it home and parked it up until November, then taxed it in November, but the dvla still winds the roadtax back to the date you purchased the car, so either the seller loses a month, or the buyer loses a month in roadtax each time a road legal car changes hands!

The new laws states I'm suppose to tax the car as soon as I purchase it, but I agreed with the seller to stick the next day on for the date of transfer, so I could drive the car home(I purchased a one day insurance), and park the car up until Nov.

I guess the only way round this is to tell the seller to 'SORN' the car online first, it's instant, then send the logbook off. The DVLA is only interested that the car is continually taxed at the end of the day...

Any thoughts?

Reactions: andy68
They are not making any money on the change though,so they tell us :whistle2:

Reactions: andy68 and DieselJake
CAN hear the tills at the DVLA RAKING THE DOSH IN

Love how their excuse for changing tax was to save money on paper yet the 3 threads I've read each state different issues resulting in money lost for road users.

Well, on the other hand, I got my road tax refund off the crashed car, and they have not short changed me there. There are no penalties if you have paid the full years roadtax, which I always do, when you SORN your car, which is done instantly online. Unless of course if you choose to SORN it at the beginning of the month, then you lose the whole month, but doing it online, they will still register the date you SORN the car from.

I was waiting on information if I could retain my private reg if I claim my tax back, and
I can. I SORN'd my car on October 31st @1145pm, which is handy! :)