The first day in my 2.0TDI Sportback

ginner

Reaction score
Took delivery at 1:30 pm and had the best intentions of running the car in and letting every thing settle into place.

My wife dropped me down in the Mini cooper and as we were leaving the garage threw down the gauntlet. Now then bare in mind I am used to driving a Honda Civic 1.6. and on several occasions whilst mucking around, my wife has left me standing against the Mini. Not any more. Wow what a car, the second and third gears are easlily as powerful as the Mini and when comparing it against the honda there is just no comparison.

I have heard it said that the engine is loud. I have to say I actually like the sound and the grunt when accelerating. sounds terrific.

The car is a dream to drive, fantastic handling and this is having done less than a hundred miles, cant wait until it loosens up.

I added the star alloys and they really finish off the car.....looks fantastic. The handling of the sport suspension is really top notch, I have read that the steering is not that good, I dont know how somebody came to this conclusion, they obviously werent driving a honda civic previously.

The Bose sound system is good, hoping that it will bed in a little (as previous posts have suggested).

The interior really is classy, really does look the part. Funnily enough, my wife (who fancies herself as a bit of a trendy bird and hence the mini) actually loves it. She cant believe the power and that is after driving the cooper, I think we both thought deisels were for old men.

Anyway I am well pleased with my purchase and if I was forced to pick out a negative point it would be the noise when idling but I can live with this after all I have the bose and the system was made to play music.

I keep reverse parking as I just love looking at the front and the new grille It looks fantastic (I am running out of phrases to express my delight)

All in all the car is awesome, I am sooo glad I chose this rather than the 1 series and Golf. well pleased with my investment and looking forward to putting more miles on the clock.

[ QUOTE ]

Wow what a car, the second and third gears are easlily as powerful as the Mini and when comparing it against the honda there is just no comparison.

She cant believe the power and that is after driving the cooper, I think we both thought deisels were for old men.

[/ QUOTE ]

God what mini do you have? I had an MCS for 6 months and hated it - gutless piece of cr4p, you needed to scream the knackers out of it to get any decent performance... I would have sold it after a couple of weeks but had promised Claire I would buy her a new car first, couldn;t find one and as I was so desperate to get shot of the mini I ended up buying her a new one!

Congrats on the new toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

Good write up Ginner, another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif for the tdi fan club.

Get a tuning box or a re map and see what it can really do!

Glad you like it mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think it's the outright power of tdi's so much as the way it's delivered.
It's delivered in a far more accessible manner than most petrols.
Punch is available from way down,whereas petrols hardly ever seem to really get going below 3500-4000 revs.
There's no doubting petrols have an advantage at high revs though,but how many of us really get to rev the tits out of a petrol in everyday driving ?