The Dreaded Renewal Time Again

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
That time is fast approaching again....always a slightly stressful time because you naturally expect to be disappointed.
Buying my car a year ago I insured with Saga who were convincingly cheaper than anybody else at a total price for my level of cover of £429. My renewal figure will be £420.....which I was mildly surprised about because insurance always goes up.
I decided to check the comparison sites as I always do....and all were either slightly more than I paid last year with a much higher excess, or a lot more with similar excess(£250 total).
There was however one exception which was coming in at £369.......from guess who....my present insurer Saga. :openmouth:
Why do insurance companies persist in offering better prices to new customers. :rage: This is rhetorical by the way, because I know very well why they do it.
I will be giving Saga a call to renew at the lower price. :innocent:

P.S. Site sponsors, while I appreciate you trying to help, you are and always have been completely uncompetitive to me.

Reactions: CHEZ
Out of curiosity Mr Ron, try one call insurance
They have been great for me 4 years off the bounce

Reactions: Ron240
Out of curiosity Mr Ron, try one call insurance
I wasn't familiar with this name mate.....so looked down my comparison site quotes and they were listed, but premium would be £473 with £400 compulsory excess.
In their favour everything that normally costs extra with car insurance is included in that price....but still too expensive. :(

Reactions: CHEZ
Well I phoned them today to say they were offering the cheaper online price.
She was able to discount my renewal which took it down to only £7 more than the online price, so I was happy enough with that and agreed.
It's over £50 cheaper than what they charged me last year and £80 cheaper than my next closest online price....so what's not to like. :D

Reactions: StevieS3
I've been getting quotes lately, started off about a month ago with a quote from admiral of 780. Since then have continued to get new quotes using the same details and my best price is now 575 with elephant who wanted about 1000 originally! It's crazy

LV have been the cheapest by far for me. Old git 53, full ncb, safe area, car on drive, new A6 45tfsi avant Sline 10k miles £202. Worth a try if you are up for renewal.

LV have been the cheapest by far for me. Worth a try if you are up for renewal.
They have never been competitive for me, and that's despite being an existing customer of theirs for another type of insurance.
Car insurance is highly individual.....what is cheap for one person may not necessarily be so for another, even with similar details.

Last edited:
Similar details I was £420 with “Sainsbury’s” but when clicking through it was LV !

Direct Line renewal was up from £532 to £613 which I thought was a bit of a p*** take!

2016 S3 cabriolet, 57yr old, Nottinghamshire, original renewal from Saga £342, Confused £272 Saga, rang Saga they matched Confuseds quote, wow, £70saved.

Reactions: Ron240