The dangers of wheel spacers.

teslaboy

Mythos black RS3 8v FL
Reaction score
Now guys I know I might be a little paranoid here but today I'm having 12mm Bimecc spacers fitted all round and I've been reading up on the pros and cons of fitting spacers.

Can you guys give me some reassurance that wheel spacers are safe?
Has anyone had any 'issues' ?

Noting the Bimeccs are quality products and come with appropriate length wheel bolts and lockers.

Perfectly safe if you fit the correct ones properly. I've used 30mm, and 15mm ones in the past which bolt to the hub. Currently using 5mm and 3mm with longer bolts.

It is safe so long as you use good quality Spacers (H&R, ST Suspension, Eibach) with the correct extended bolts torqued down to manufacturer recommendations. Also not to go so wide the wheel/tyre wall hits the fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: teslaboy
Perfectly safe if you fit the correct ones properly. I've used 30mm, and 15mm ones in the past which bolt to the hub. Currently using 5mm and 3mm with longer bolts.

Thanks for the input.
Why such small widths, did you change wheels for different offsets?
I'm just looking to give the rotors a better stance.

Thanks for the input.
Why such small widths, did you change wheels for different offsets?
I'm just looking to give the rotors a better stance.

I have aftermarket summer wheels so those widths give an equal step out from oem due to the staggered offsets on my oem wheels. See my build thread.

If you have 8j all around on 235 tyres go with minimum 12.5mm all round (on 8v)

I have aftermarket summer wheels so those widths give an equal step out from oem due to the staggered offsets on my oem wheels. See my build thread.

If you have 8j all around on 235 tyres go with minimum 12.5mm all round (on 8v)

I got 235 8j rear and 255 8.5j front with 12mm spacer all round.
Hopefully I won't have any issues.

You’ll be fine

Now guys I know I might be a little paranoid here but today I'm having 12mm Bimecc spacers fitted all round and I've been reading up on the pros and cons of fitting spacers.

Noting the Bimeccs are quality products and come with appropriate length wheel bolts and lockers.
What’s the cost to have this done?

Where was this done?

A very local tuning house in St Albans called EMP performance.

Just going to pick it up now.

I'll post some pics in the daylight.

Reactions: Tristan2
Wheel spacers are perfectly safe if used within the correct parameters.

Sure, quality like with anything counts, but a spacer is a spacer whether it be milled from steel or aluminium. Once bolted in, it is unlikely to crumble.

The safety aspect is purely down to playing with the wheel geometry. There is a sweet spot where the tyre sits on the road, determined by where the angles of the king pin and axle co-incide. Providing any spacing does not move the pivot point outside the sweet spot you are OK. A good way of noting this is if the self centering is still functioning. If the spacers are so great that the self centering does not work, then expect trouble. This has been the cause of many fatalities with boy racers spacing the wheels so far out that the self centering, instead of pulling them out of a corner, pushes them further into the corner...

I was hoping someone could help me with the math of matching the oem stance on my aftermarket. So I have the oem blades that are 19x8.5 ET46 (front) and 19x8 ET42 (rear) running staggered tires (255 front 235 rear). My aftermarkets are the HRE FF01’s that are 19x8.5 ET47 all around. What spacers would I need in the front and rear to match oem? Thanks guys!

Front: Do nothing ( or to be pedantic, shave off 1mm)
Rear: Space 1mm

Reactions: T-800
I was hoping someone could help me with the math of matching the oem stance on my aftermarket. So I have the oem blades that are 19x8.5 ET46 (front) and 19x8 ET42 (rear) running staggered tires (255 front 235 rear). My aftermarkets are the HRE FF01’s that are 19x8.5 ET47 all around. What spacers would I need in the front and rear to match oem? Thanks guys!

Hi mate. Use www.willtheyfit.com it’ll tell you exactly how they will sit. Easy.

Tell your insurance company!!!

Shall I tell my insurance that I’m running super sticky tyres (Michelin P4s) because my car stock car came with Pirelli P zeros ? More grip = more stress on car.

Shall I tell my insurance that I’m running super sticky tyres (Michelin P4s) because my car stock car came with Pirelli P zeros ? More grip = more stress on car.
Anything that isn't OEM is a potential problem if you have a claim. Sad but true,

As long as the tyres are suitable for the vechicle there isn't an issue what make they are. I wouldn't call Michelin P4's super sticky but then I suppose it depends what you are comparing them with.

Agreed. Tyres are consumables and as long as they are road legal you should not need to contact your insurance.

Front: Do nothing ( or to be pedantic, shave off 1mm)
Rear: Space 1mm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Apparently HRE guidance is minimum 3mm spacer in the front for brake clearance reasons, but no guidance for rears. Basically for the rear, if I don’t do a spacer then effectively it would poke 1mm in the front more than the rear right?

Rule of thumb for karting and light race cars:
Wider front track = better weight transfer on corning to outside front wheel = less turning radius = reduces understear.
However in your case, I doubt it is going to make any difference, let alone any that you will actually feel!

Where’s the pics mate?

Where’s the pics mate?

Here you go....
Now the pics are a bit shxx but the 12mm spacers have definitely given it a wider stance.
I think 12mm all round is enough for me. I know some on here have gone up to 20mm !
20180106 144516 crop 604x481

20180106 144511 crop 563x462

20180106 144546 crop 744x520

20180106 144451 crop 467x397

Reactions: Tristan2