The awful A3 dipstick

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I like to check the oil each month, and would prefer to find it low this way than waiting for some indication on the DIS. Problem is that when I dip, the end of the dipstick is just smeared with oil, and it is so hard to see what the level really is. The end of my dipstick is a round plastic piece with two round balls with a narrow part inbetween. The inbetween part is supposed to show max and min. Somehow, oil just gets all over it as it is withdrawn. Has Audi changed the design for a better 'dipper'? Has any member tried to file a flat on the dipstick end, perhaps to stop the oil from covering it? Suggestions welcome.

I've got a 05 and the dipstick is fine, it has a hatched area between max and min, so long as you dry it well when you take it out it's very simple to see the level.

I know what you mean, I had to use a tissue and just put it flat on there to see the level. Funny thing is, I have a mk4 golf and that probably has the best dipstick ever made. Why couldn't they just keep it that simple!

Agreed, its virtually impossible to see the correct level due to the poor design & bent tube it has to go into!

Take it out, dry it with a cloth, back in, back out, check the oil level. That's it!

Reactions: paddy
Be very careful if you try a dipstick from an earlier or later car, as the max and min marks only need to be fractionally different and you could end up with problems.
I had this on a Peugeot I had. It went away for an engine conversion and when it came back it badly leaked oil and I struggled to keep it above minimum. It turned out they'd put a larger capacity sump on it, but used the wrong dipstick. I was massively overfilling it without knowing and the oil was being forced out of every seal and opening. I was lucky it didn't do proper damage.