The Avant Project - A Work In Progress.

Yeah people don't see the point of big rear brakes too .

345 mm upfront is always best with 320/330 mm rear .

Good job! Do you have a good for the pads and where you ordered them from as I'll be doing the same myself! Do these come with the wear sensors on them?

Just got a message back from the eBay vendor. They are equipped for the wear sensor, so will pick one of from local Audi Independent or eBay for around £7.

Minimal dust from Redstuff pads IMO compared to OEM, I tried Mintex on my old Jetta, and although they were good stoppers, dust was bad on alloys.
JG
ps. That was a great price for your front pads Gareth, :salute:

Minimal dust from Redstuff pads IMO compared to OEM, I tried Mintex on my old Jetta, and although they were good stoppers, dust was bad on alloys.
JG
ps. That was a great price for your front pads Gareth, :salute:

Yeah, I was pleased with the price, just need to get some discs now! Collecting the calipers next week.

Now waiting for the H&R ARB's & new Reverse Bulbs (Cheers T8ups) to arrive!

Reactions: RS5 JON
Sounds like it's all go mate, remember pics when completed.
A review on the ARB's when fitted would be good, as I was thinking about getting these and putting them on when I'm fitting my bilstien b16's in the spring.
JG

Sounds like it's all go mate, remember pics when completed.
A review on the ARB's when fitted would be good, as I was thinking about getting these and putting them on when I'm fitting my bilstien b16's in the spring.
JG

It always is mate, I go through periods of spending on her, then she'll be neglected for 6 months & then it all happens again!

Review of the ARB's & pics will be forthcoming soon! B16's, very nice!

It always is mate, I go through periods of spending on her, then she'll be neglected for 6 months & then it all happens again!

Review of the ARB's & pics will be forthcoming soon! B16's, very nice!

That six month period is for standing back and admiring the fruits of you labour, and ££££'s spent.
The b16's were a xmas prezzie to myself. :yes:
JG

That six month period is for standing back and admiring the fruits of you labour, and ££££'s spent.
The b16's were a xmas prezzie to myself. :yes:
JG

Very true mate, very true!

Right, let's get some discs ordered!!

While the debit card seems to be in full festive spending mode, I was browsing eBay over the last few days & spotted this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B...238781?hash=item1e89761f7d:g:9qAAAOxy039TOYGm

Keen to get people thoughts...
I'm tempted to go for an S4 rear diffuser and have a rear box + large ovals, RS4 style, fabricated. Is this a mod you've been looking in to? WOuld the exhausts from the V6 models with the twin singles fit? Might be a cheaper option as folk will be replacing them for after market...

Reactions: GjrBartlett
I'm tempted to go for an S4 rear diffuser and have a rear box + large ovals, RS4 style, fabricated. Is this a mod you've been looking in to? WOuld the exhausts from the V6 models with the twin singles fit? Might be a cheaper option as folk will be replacing them for after market...

I've had similar thoughts, but not really priced it up, you know the rough cost?

Just trying to work out what makes ££ sense?

The S4 diffusers that I've been looking at are around £90 but need painted as they have scuffs/dings. You could get the stock S Line rear diffusers from the TFSI or V6 models which have the twin exits for similar or less money. Try Mike on the parts request to see what they cost OEM or after market.

Here's the S4 diffuser for the saloon, but not sure if it would also fit the Avant.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-A...435407?hash=item1a0aecb7cf:g:0ekAAOSwJcZWcuTn

Here's a stock twin exit A5 exhaust for £150, so I would imagine it would be around the same for the A4.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A...825524?hash=item1a0bf611f4:g:MRAAAOSw4SlV8U48

Last edited:
The S4 diffusers that I've been looking at are around £90 but need painted as they have scuffs/dings. You could get the stock S Line rear diffusers from the TFSI or V6 models which have the twin exits for similar or less money. Try Mike on the parts request to see what they cost OEM or after market.

Here's the S4 diffuser for the saloon, but not sure if it would also fit the Avant.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-A...435407?hash=item1a0aecb7cf:g:0ekAAOSwJcZWcuTn

Here's a stock twin exit A5 exhaust for £150, so I would imagine it would be around the same for the A4.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A...825524?hash=item1a0bf611f4:g:MRAAAOSw4SlV8U48

I do like the 'fat' ovals on the RS4, just a little reluctant to change my rear diffuser as spent a few ££ getting it done in Gloss Black, so would potentially end up as money wasted.

Just checked my tracking details, the H&R ARB's have arrived in the UK from Germany, Redstuff Pads & MTEC discs are on the way & hopefully picking up the calipers later this week.

Oh I love my Audi!!

I'm with you on that one - would be difficult to remove and get rid of a diffuser I've already had sprayed and have to spray a new one too... Fat ovals would be sweet though!

You'll need to post plenty photos of your new stoppers! When are you fitting them?

I'm with you on that one - would be difficult to remove and get rid of a diffuser I've already had sprayed and have to spray a new one too... Fat ovals would be sweet though!

You'll need to post plenty photos of your new stoppers! When are you fitting them?

Collecting the Calipers later this coming week & now waiting for the MTEC Black Ed disks & Redstuff pads to arrive.

Hoping to get them fitted towards the end of the month when she goes in for a service, the H&R ARB's will go on at the same time!

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985
Collecting the Calipers later this coming week & now waiting for the MTEC Black Ed disks & Redstuff pads to arrive.

Hoping to get them fitted towards the end of the month when she goes in for a service, the H&R ARB's will go on at the same time!
Looking forward to seeing them!

I've been reading loads of forums on guys replacing their standard oil and coolant caps with Porsche ones. Have you done it yourself by any chance? Been trying to find someone on the forum that's put them on a B8 but can't find any - wondering if the electronic dipstick might make it a non-goer, but it they do look cool!

D2342CE3 3140 420C 992B BD7E7E6B9228 zpsozjjzosx

Looking forward to seeing them!

I've been reading loads of forums on guys replacing their standard oil and coolant caps with Porsche ones. Have you done it yourself by any chance? Been trying to find someone on the forum that's put them on a B8 but can't find any - wondering if the electronic dipstick might make it a non-goer, but it they do look cool!

View attachment 76682

I haven't mate, I know their quite popular though. Might be worth a forum post to get some feedback.

I haven't mate, I know their quite popular though. Might be worth a forum post to get some feedback.
I've asked Mike at the Parts Request to see if he knows of any fitment issues so will report back and stick up a post for B8 owners!

I've asked Mike at the Parts Request to see if he knows of any fitment issues so will report back and stick up a post for B8 owners!

Spot on mate, I'll watch out for that.

M-Tec Discs have arrived at my work, I'll be collecting them later (on nights this week) pics to come.

Exciting times!

Certainly is mate...These were waiting for me when I got to work this evening!

M-TEC Black Edition - 345mm & EBC Redstuff Fronts

Tempted to get a set of Redstuff rears to go with them, £66 on eBay.

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985 and RS5 JON
At £66, go for it, you'll notice a BIG difference.

Black M-TEC's will look good with Red Stuff pads.
JG

Mate, you're a bad influence on the guy. Now, where's my credit card...

He knows what he wants, I just helping him make an informed choice, lol!

Now, have you got your credit card at the ready, Porsche coolant cap should fit your A4, I had one on my A4 and it's now on my A5, probably oil cap will fit too, although I have R8 one, again was on A4 and now on A5. Both purchased via ebay a few years ago, so I've deleted links, but they're easy enough to find.
You may have to strip the R8 oil cap to get it to sit correct way round, easy enough, there's a thread on her somewhere with info.
What's my, sorry your, total spend in basket Matt. :salute:
JG

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985 and GjrBartlett
Thought I'd share a few pics taken at work last night whilst fitting my new reverse LEDs, unfortunately they through up bulb warning errors, so swapped back to originals until I can get the coding sorted out for them

No guesses where I work!!

Thought I'd share a few pics taken at work last night whilst fitting my new reverse LEDs, unfortunately they through up bulb warning errors, so swapped back to originals until I can get the coding sorted out for them

Looking good mate!!

He knows what he wants, I just helping him make an informed choice, lol!

Now, have you got your credit card at the ready, Porsche coolant cap should fit your A4, I had one on my A4 and it's now on my A5, probably oil cap will fit too, although I have R8 one, again was on A4 and now on A5. Both purchased via ebay a few years ago, so I've deleted links, but they're easy enough to find.
You may have to strip the R8 oil cap to get it to sit correct way round, easy enough, there's a thread on her somewhere with info.
What's my, sorry your, total spend in basket Matt. :salute:
JG
I've been looking in to it a bit more. the coolant bottles are all the same fitment so no issues there. the Porsche oil cap won't fit the B8 as it's a completely different fitment to the non CR engines - compared my A3 to my A4, where the Porsche cap fits the A3. The R8 oil cap fits out the box but needs modded to make it sit straight like you say. The R8 cap is metal and the Porsche ones are metal effect plastic. Think I'll go R8!

My car looks pretty similar to GJR's, however, I stuck with the Sline grille and had it sprayed black along with the chrome. Watching this build thread is making me want to do more!!!!

Your A5 is looking great!

Reactions: RS5 JON and GjrBartlett
I've been looking in to it a bit more. the coolant bottles are all the same fitment so no issues there. the Porsche oil cap won't fit the B8 as it's a completely different fitment to the non CR engines - compared my A3 to my A4, where the Porsche cap fits the A3. The R8 oil cap fits out the box but needs modded to make it sit straight like you say. The R8 cap is metal and the Porsche ones are metal effect plastic. Think I'll go R8!

My car looks pretty similar to GJR's, however, I stuck with the Sline grille and had it sprayed black along with the chrome. Watching this build thread is making me want to do more!!!!

Your A5 is looking great!

Do let us know how much you source the Oil & Coolant Caps for, this will probably end up on my to-do list at some point.

Just found out my calipers are delayed until early next week now, not pleased, just need to decide now what Logo to put on them...

Do let us know how much you source the Oil & Coolant Caps for, this will probably end up on my to-do list at some point.

Just found out my calipers are delayed until early next week now, not pleased!
That's a pain about the calipers - they're obviously making sure they're absolutely perfect!

The price I was given for the caps are - Oil cap (420103485B) - £34.00 inc VAT and the coolant cap (420121321) - £78.00 inc VAT. Price for the R8 coolant cap is crazy. Think I'm going to go for the R8 oil cap and then replace the coolant cap and washer bottle cap with the black versions of the OEM - the washer bottle cap is from Laborghini!! £20 for the two makes much more sense though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181805833794?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Caliper decals...
I don't really want S5 as not in keeping with the car & not really fussed for the the standard S Line decal either, however, I quite like this...

Or

Thoughts...

Caliper decals...
I don't really want S5 as not in keeping with the car & not really fussed for the the standard S Line decal either, however, I quite like this...

Thoughts...
Like the look of the Audi Sport decal! Have you checked the measurements of the blank plate on your calipers to make sure they'll fit?

Meant to ask, what bulbs were you replacing with LED's that threw up the error codes?