The all new a5/s5 coupe

Stevier88

Reaction score
Managed to catch a bit of the world premier of the new a5/s5 coupe release.

Having always loved the 5 range since it was released in 2007 I have been waiting patiently to see the new gen coming from a pre facelift a5 I wanted to get another but held off when I heard a new platform would be released so jumped into an s3 saloon hoping to move into the new s5.

Only pic a managed to get of the new s5.

Does that look SL Merc like to anyone else? Particularly where the guys blocking the rear. It may be the angle.

Does that look SL Merc like to anyone else? Particularly where the guys blocking the rear. It may be the angle.
Err that's the first thing I thought before reading your post!

Reactions: Scottyg
Few more pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Scottyg
Seeing it like that the SL comments disappear and Mustang now comes to mind. The full side on shot does look A5. The angled shots it's a bit of mmmmmm!! I love the A5, this may grow on me.

Overall think its not bad. Some angles it looks unchanged. Its the front end thats most drastic and undecided really. Don't really like the new bonnet lines and the weird side grille bits...

As with most things, it's new and different so its pretty natural to prefer the shape of the one you are used to. The updated interior and new tech is definitely welcome!

Only thing I am concerned about is the move from a supercharger in the S5 to a turbo (same with the S4). Seems to put out bit more HP, but loads more torque (500nm). 0-62 is slightly faster at 4.7 but still worried about the delivery. Always been a fan of supercharger over turbo....

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Like it.
Front grill will take a bit of getting used to, but other than that looking good.

I thought the photo gallery at the bottom of this review quite interesting.

Here you go fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interior is the best thing for me. The old one had got very dated and the reason I got an A7 instead a few months back.
The new one looks superb.
ac4de2b856931060a1ed760284f98ee4.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Scottyg and DrEskimo
The interior is the best thing for me. The old one had got very dated and the reason I got an A7 instead a few months back.
The new one looks superb.
ac4de2b856931060a1ed760284f98ee4.jpg

If it just had the retractable screen in the centre like the A7, it would be perfect!

Still I agree, the interior is a massive improvement.

Reactions: Scottyg
The interior is superb.
The one thing that's putting me off a little is the crease line down the side. It's off putting when in curves at points and is straight at others. I would prefer a straight back to front. Think it would show off the silhouette much better?

They could have at least ditched the rotors and put a fresh wheel on.
Probably using up there old rim stocks I guess.
Other than that it looks nice.

2013_Tesla_Model_S_%2811322176214%29_cropped.jpg

Front end is very similar to this Tesla, especially with the upper part of the headlights curved, and not straight and agressive like the new A4.

Am still very undecided - but think it will be a grower.

Interior and rear are both gorgeous looking.

Reactions: bluemoona3246
Looks good to me ! The one thing I do like about Audi's is that the newly introduced models don't look madly different from the old ones (to the untrained non Audi owner eye - if you get me meaning).......so if you have a 2011 A5 its not looking dated overnight...

Some of the newer BMW's look like they were designed by Honda/Dacia/Kia/etc...........

Had they released it 12 months earlier I may have gone for this instead of the A4 - not that there's anything wrong with my A4 but the A5 is a thing of beauty.

Overall I like it apart from the non-retractable navigation screen and the shape of the grill but I could learn to live with the screen and wouldn't see the grill while driving.
Does anyone know when the new sportback will be released?

Hi All,

I know this sounds a bit amateur of me, but I am looking to buy an Audi S5, the 4.4 litre V8 version and I was just hoping if any one could give me some things to look out for when I buy it. I don't really want to buy one if I then will start to get problems and issues with it. What questions should I be asking the dealer to make sure I am buying a sound an reliable S5?

Thanks. Sam

@Sam Deane - best start your own thread as this one is really about the B9.

I don't know much about the V8 other than it tends to suffer from carbon build-up and this can lead to misfiring. The good news is that there are plenty of companies which offer a cleaning service. Also I'm not sure if the V8 S5 ever had the s-tronic gearbox, but unfortunately some of the early ones (2009-11) did develop faults so if you do find an s-tronic S5 of those years that's something to be wary of.

Thank you very much. Didn't know how to start my own thread tbh, lol.

Yeah I am looking to buy the V8 Manual (8/11 plate) version , rather than automatic/s-tronic. My friend, for example bought a 10 plate BMW M3, and after having it for 6 months, he needed to do so much work on it, ie. new brake pads, service, wheels, exhaust and stuff, he had to sell it because he couldn't keep affording to maintain it. I just want to find out if there are any 'alerts' i need to watch out for that people have occured whilst driving them.

Thanks for your help

From my own experience, make sure the clutch doesn't have to be buried into the bulkhead to start the engine or that it's not too heavy, both signs the clutch release bearing is on the way out.

Reactions: Sam Deane
Looks good, but call me old fashioned, I don't get this new trend of most car manufacturers, that the satnav/media screen has suddenly become less integrated in the dash and looks like a separate 'satnav' of old, I would like to keep the screen inside a nicely flowing dash. also the continued vent on the passenger side is a bit I need to get used to, the rest of it looks very good indeed. :)

Reactions: James_TDi
I don't get this new trend of most car manufacturers, that the satnav/media screen has suddenly become less integrated in the dash and looks like a separate 'satnav' of old,
Agreed. I don't like the "we stuck a tablet to the dash" look either.

When do the first deliveries begin?

Just had a look at one of these at the Audi Showcase in Staffs.

Not sure I like the fixed centre screen but other than that.... Wow

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Scottyg, steviedr and 2 others
I thought the screen was like in the 7 and sweeps out... How disappointing it's like the "tablet style" screens in the mercs. Why do they not think about things!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

If the price is around the same as the S3 hatch, then I think I'll make the move over to the A5 coupe :) Just waiting to see a new one in white lol :D

The new A5 and S5 are up on the audi.co.uk configurator!

The new A5 and S5 are up on the audi.co.uk configurator!

Played around with it today. The prices sure have gone up!

Pretty sure the standard edition started at £43k and now it starts at £47k...

Thats how much my BE with £1500 worth of extras cost me....

When I checked the base cost had risen about 8 or 9% but there are a few things in the standard equipment list which were missing from the B8.5. But the really bad thing is that all the really good options such as dynamic suspension and especially sports differential are really quite expensive compared to what they were on the B8.5.

Seen the new S5 at Bristol Audi yesterday…really nice/smart car, undecided on ordering one of these or the FL S3.
The fixed centre display actually looks ok…much bigger than the retractable screen on the A3/S3 and other Audi's.

Seen the new S5 at Bristol Audi yesterday…really nice/smart car, undecided on ordering one of these or the FL S3.
The fixed centre display actually looks ok…much bigger than the retractable screen on the A3/S3 and other Audi's.
Surely if you can choose between those two it would be a no brainier? S5 all the way