The 5500rpm cold start warning.

KKOG

Reaction score
WHY does it beep every time to warn me about this rpm limit on cold start?
Drives me f-n crazy!

Is there a way to shut the beep of and just have the warning message in the display?
Or shut of both and just have the rpm limit there?

Maybe it can be done with vcds perhaps. Some great techie minds on this forum would probably be able to sort it out

Reactions: KKOG
I've never noticed a beep.

I might be deaf !!

What?! Maybe it's me then, I forgot to mention I sometimes hear voices in my head.

But seriously, it's strange that not all cars has the same beep then.

Am I the only one or is someone else having the same issue?

Reactions: teslaboy
Me too, but only on the first (cold) start of the day, I don't really notice it anymore unlike my squealing brakes...........

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras
What beep is this? Is there also a visual display message?. If so my car does not do it at all.

My also beep in cold start... a little annoying

Reactions: sve170
Ok I'll listen out when firing the RS up next.
The 5500rpm warning on the dash is always there though.

What beep is this? Is there also a visual display message?. If so my car does not do it at all.

Yes, a large display message in yellow.

I'll see if I can post a video of the sequence.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this beep :expressionless:

Reactions: T-800
Well I’ve never ever had that message since having my car. My car is a daily with early starts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras
What?! Maybe it's me then, I forgot to mention I sometimes hear voices in my head.

But seriously, it's strange that not all cars has the same beep then.

Am I the only one or is someone else having the same issue?

FL RS3 has beep to warn not to exceed 5500 rpm on cold start up.
It also extends the red Zone around to this point too.

It’s daft really as anybody with an ounce of common wouldn’t be wringing it’s neck when cold anyway.

As said it makes you think when you first hear the warning beep and see the yellow triangle that something is wrong with the car

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras and KKOG
Mine allways beeps in the morning including the Message..

I find it incredible that such a message is there but worse so often on startup. Would drive me bonkers.

I’ve never had it appear even once which is strange too.

VC and FL thing

ae5b4c47c37ebf053c88219bfc780fad.jpg

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras, DW81 and KKOG
I don't think its a bad thing just giving you a little notification to let you know when the car is still cold, it goes after a few minutes of slow driving anyway, I however don't get the beep, just the 5.5k limiter and the yellow icon at the bottom - I can imagine that to be nuisance tho.

T-800 - how do you change the display to show power and torque on the right?

That is one of the standard views. You can press the ok steering wheel button to bring up options on what goes in the additional display. Don't choose fuel economy - it spoils the fun.

Reactions: sve170
Well I’ve never ever had that message since having my car. My car is a daily with early starts too.

As I recall it beeps before you even start the car - as soon as you turn the ignition on for me. Mind you, I have a delay from ignition on to start up to disable the Ghost.

So I don’t have my car yet. However I went to a few dealers when I was looking to make an order and I turned some on and had a test drive.

Some of them had that warning - some didn’t. In fact out of two cars in the same dealer one had the warning and one didn’t. No reason for that at all. They were both the same age - both in the same weather - both outside.

And it seems not everyone here gets it either. To be honest I was under the impression that only happens in the cold weather - but as we get to warmed weather it will stop happening. But that bleep is annoying. I agree. Maybe VCDS can turn off the sound @DJAlix

Been looking for a way to disable this as the warning pops up on all retrofitted virtual cockpits, but the message is not translated correctly within PFL vehicles and is presented as a "drive train error" on the dash, which goes away when the engine is started.

Yeah I had a good look the other evening however nothing jumped out in VCDS or VCP to be honest.

I’ve a feeling it’s a firmware embedded thing.

Yeah I had a good look the other evening however nothing jumped out in VCDS or VCP to be honest.

I’ve a feeling it’s a firmware embedded thing.
Am thinking the same, or a “parameter”. I need to get some time with a FL vehicle in order to bottom it out really.

Am thinking the same, or a “parameter”. I need to get some time with a FL vehicle in order to bottom it out really.
When you get time can you get back to me for the quote to have TPMS fitted to my 2018 RS3 Please

Reactions: billymc92
When you get time can you get back to me for the quote to have TPMS fitted to my 2018 RS3 Please

Can this be done? I really wanted it but as I specced my car early on most of use will know ****** Audi did not have it added in the configurator

Can this be done? I really wanted it but as I specced my car early on most of use will know ****** Audi did not have it added in the configurator
Yes it can be retrofit and I will be replying to parts and retrofit enquiries starting tomorrow... I hope. My parts guy has been away sick for a few days :( Lets not hijack someone else thread. Re the OP, if I can get some time with a FL RS3 then I will have a dig and see what can be found.

Reactions: billymc92
Hi there.

I just signed up to this forum as I often was a quiet reader. I'm very active in the german coding community and also in the Ross-Tech Forums.
I own myself a MY18 Audi RS3 Facelift and also did some deep investigations regarding the cold start warning.

Without success so far.

But.
On my request there was a label file delivered with VCDS 18.2.1 for the DAZA engine.
There are two bits which are not documented so far. Byte 8 Bit 1 and Bit 2.

I did not have the guts so far to try this it if it has anything to the with the cold start warning.
Anyone wants to try?

Hi there.

I just signed up to this forum as I often was a quiet reader. I'm very active in the german coding community and also in the Ross-Tech Forums.
I own myself a MY18 Audi RS3 Facelift and also did some deep investigations regarding the cold start warning.

Without success so far.

But.
On my request there was a label file delivered with VCDS 18.2.1 for the DAZA engine.
There are two bits which are not documented so far. Byte 8 Bit 1 and Bit 2.

I did not have the guts so far to try this it if it has anything to the with the cold start warning.
Anyone wants to try?

Why would anyone want to go unchecking / checking Bits in the engine module that aren't labelled ?

You clearly don't feel comfortable doing it, but post on here asking some one else too........

Reactions: Seanix
I'm lacking the pioneer spirit at this point and I do not have the capability of resetting my car via ODIS/SVM if anything gets screwed up.

If no one ever tried undocumented bits, we would still be in coding stone age.

I'm lacking the pioneer spirit at this point and I do not have the capability of resetting my car via ODIS/SVM if anything gets screwed up.

If no one ever tried undocumented bits, we would still be in coding stone age.

“If no one ever tried undocumented bits, we would still be in coding stone age”

Yes but most de-coding and labelling is done by people who have vast experience at this sort of thing.....

Not by someone just saying “I think if you just check/untick this byte”, you may disable half the cars systems or inadvertently cause other systems to malfunction because they no longer have input from the ECU.

Following your thinking we may as well go into every module and alter every bit that isn’t labelled.

In the quest for what ? To disable a warning that’s there for a few miles if that.

Bonkers.

I didn't start this thread about how to deactivate this ;)
Should I say nothing instead of sharing what I know? Why so offending?

I didn't start this thread about how to deactivate this ;)
Should I say nothing instead of sharing what I know? Why so offending?

That’s the crux of why I don’t see how you’ve added anything to it though..

You’ve just posted that in 01 engine you’ve noticed 2 bits that are unlabelled and have no idea what they are.....

Yet you suggest that some other fool (namely us on here) should try it for you....

And you wonder why we can’t be ***** ?

Let’s put it this way, I’ll try it, it totally screws something up big time, I use Odis to try reset the ecu and Odis turns round and says hmmmm on yer bike I don’t recognise this new coding string......

Are you going to pay for a new ECU & whatever repairs are needed because of random bit ticking ?

Dear Sir,

I've spent hours in searching for that special deactivation bit or adaptation channel in order to deactivate this cold start warning.
The intention of my post is like "stop searching anywhere, it is not there (documented!!)".

I agree with your concerns but like I know the common coding community, one will be thankful for any hint no matter whether it is undocumented bits in the ECU.

My understanding of your way of responding is that you might not be used to common coding chit chat and pioneer thinking.
I'm pretty sure there are several people out there who already did some ecu map tuning. As the factory guarantee has then vanished anyway, one or two bits won't hurt ;)

Dear Sir,

I've spent hours in searching for that special deactivation bit or adaptation channel in order to deactivate this cold start warning.
The intention of my post is like "stop searching anywhere, it is not there (documented!!)".

I agree with your concerns but like I know the common coding community, one will be thankful for any hint no matter whether it is undocumented bits in the ECU.

My understanding of your way of responding is that you might not be used to common coding chit chat and pioneer thinking.
I'm pretty sure there are several people out there who already did some ecu map tuning. As the factory guarantee has then vanished anyway, one or two bits won't hurt ;)

Not used to common coding chit chat and pioneer thinking ?......... Do me a favour :highly amused:

Had a lot of cars pass through my garage over the years for VCDS/VCP/ODIS work, so i think i understand the pitfalls.....

I tell you what 'Sir' go be a pioneer and UnTick those bits......then report back here to us mere mortals your findings.:respekt:

Reactions: DJAlix
It’s one thing to be able to change a setting and test but it’s another to be able to put it back / reverse the change. I would not recommend messing about with the coding unless you have access to tools which can reverse any changes. If someone wants to pop over to see me I can always SVM the car back to life should anything go wrong.

Btw hadez16 T-800 works with me and both of us have very extensive coding experience :)

Dear Sir,

I'm not falling out with you @hadez16 over this, however you have to be very careful what you post on an open forum regarding VCDS tweaks, especially the ones you want people on here to make to their cars with such a cavalier attitude to the consequences of said changes.........

It’s one thing to be able to change a setting and test but it’s another to be able to put it back / reverse the change. I would not recommend messing about with the coding unless you have access to tools which can reverse any changes. If someone wants to pop over to see me I can always SVM the car back to life should anything go wrong.

Btw hadez16 T-800 works with me and both of us have very extensive coding experience :)

Agreed @DJAlix but my knowledge is about a tenth of yours if that.:friends:

DjAlix,
I'm aware of your experience.
I just did a bit of exaggeration as T-800 sounded like "One does not simply speak about undocumented bits. Save the children first. Set him on fire!!11"

I joined this (for me) wild area non-german forum to help and contribute, not willing to break someone's car.

DjAlix,
I'm aware of your experience.
I just did a bit of exaggeration as T-800 sounded like "One does not simply speak about undocumented bits. Save the children first. Set him on fire!!11"

I joined this (for me) wild area non-german forum to help and contribute, not willing to break someone's car.

@hadez16 It's good that you want to help and contribute :respekt:

However as i said up above you need to be careful asking people to essentially do something you yourself are not prepared to do to your own car.:yes:

Having not read the full content of this thread,

Why would anyone want to switch off the cold start 5500 message and rev limitation anyway? What idiot wants to bounce off 7000rpm from a cold start? It's there for engine protection measures hence why after a couple of miles and suitable coolant and oil temp it then gives you full revs.

Although the majority of petrol heads would know not to rag a car from cold, there are clueless idiots and most probably the majority of women ;) who wouldn't give it a 2nd thought hence why Audi has to put in small protection measures like these.

Reactions: AB RS3 and zaka7
Well in the first place I think for the same reason why people want to change the comfort indicator cycle from 3 to 4.
Because it's possible.
Propably.

This yellow beep tone at startup is quite annoying like "wtf is wrong, engine broken" but nothing is actually wrong ;)
Imagine your horn would give a sound every time you change gears.

Ah okay, its just the beep you want rid of and not the actual rev limit limitation.

Got you.