TFSi Oil pump/balance shaft - which are chain drive?

m1tch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if all of the B7 TFSi engines have the chain driven balance shaft/oil pump combo like the TDi engines or if some are gear driven? Getting slightly concerned about getting a B7 TFSi as the project car owing to the failure rates of the sprockets, balance shafts and oil pump hex drives. It seems that VAG don't seem to do well with oil systems considering the 1.8T sludges up and the 2.0 TFSi seems to have failing pumps and chains etc.

Also, if no engine has the gear driven oil pump system is there a way to retrofit the later gear driven setups to an earlier engine? Is there a list of the engines that are most commonly affected with this issue?

Kit 13 – KMB13 – Audi / VW / Seat / Skoda 2.0 tfsi Oil Pump Chain Kit.
kit13_main_img2016.png
Kit 13 - Suitable for Audi / VW / Skoda / Seat 2.0 TFSI Petrol Engines.

Parts supplied are as pictured. All Parts are new and genuine apart from the balance shaft sprocket which is a solid sprocket and not the problematic sprung loaded type.

Suitable engine codes - 2004 - 2012

AXW, AXX, BGB, BHZ, BLR, BLX, BLY, BMB, BPG, BPJ, BPY, BUL, BVY, BVZ, BWA, BWE, BWT, BYK, BZC, S3 Quattro

i had a near miss with this issue mate, took the sump off and there were bits of metal everywhere, the sprocket had sheered but luckily was still spinning so pump was still working.

I got the solid sprocket fit and it has been ok since.... touch wood.

Hmm, would just going with the 1.8t oil pump conversion be the better option, it would delete the balance shafts meaning it would have some additional secondary vibration (although I don't really know many 4 cylinders with balance shafts).

I am slightly concerned owing to the large number of engines that this seems to be an issue with - am I correct to say that on the B8s they were changed over to a gear driven setup? Although looking at the years the kit above uses its past the 2008 date for the end of the B7s.

im not sure about the b8s really mate.

as far as im aware its more so the spocket that's the issue and not balance shafts on the tfsi engine.

if you fit the revised pick up and change the sprocket to a solid one I think it should be fine.

Reactions: Gazwould
im not sure about the b8s really mate.

as far as im aware its more so the spocket that's the issue and not balance shafts on the tfsi engine.

if you fit the revised pick up and change the sprocket to a solid one I think it should be fine.

Thanks for the input, I might still go with the 1.8t oil pump conversion, the project car won't be a daily driver so I would be ok with a bit of vibration etc, I have seen a failure of the balance shafts where one of the shafts seized which then damaged the sprocket and keyway on the crank.

Hi guys , i just got the red oil lamp light on the dash and the engine started working like a Diesel.I think my oil pump i caput .I am searching the internet to find a replacement , upgrade or some king of interchangeable part , because the dealers here are looking to rip my fingernails off.I see you are talking about putting in a 1.8t oil pump,but is it hard to do and is it plug and play or is it a lot of tinkering?How about putting an 1.9tdi oil pump , as i know so far that they are all chain driven.im driving an 05 a4 2.0tfsi

If you’ve already had low oil pressure its a crapshoot.
If you’re lucky and its in the early stages and just pick up tube starting starting to block that a fairly easy fix.

Low oil pressure can damage the head, the bottom end bearings and the turbo CHRA so a new pump 1.8t or OEM may not fix everything.

The long service promoted by VAG seems to have brought up other issues in the TFSI motor.
Even a simple oil change has been known to release old sludge from the oil galleries and killed engines.

After 2 rods exited my last TFSI block with a 1.8t oil pump i’ll be changing oil every 3000 miles on the current block.

The 1.8t transverse motor was attributed to being more reliable than the longitudinal motor due to the increased oil volume in the transverse sump.
TFSI motors seem to die from oil related failures in both.

Last edited: