TFSI Catch Can

twist123

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone fitted a catch can/oil catch tank to their TFSI? If so which and do you have links.

Many thanks

Hmmm....

Think Ill stick to stock, doesnt seem to do anything.

cyl4-valve2.jpg

and this...

but thats for the transverse A3 engine?

BSH - FSI Competition Catch Can - BSH Speedshop

this is the 1 you need or other brand but same thing
the first 1 you posted just gets rid of the PCV
why do you want a catch can they dont really do anything unless your putting a good bit of power out
and that pic you posted ill have a read up on that later but the BSH can does work
if used it on a few big turbo a4's

Wanted to bypass the stock PCV and try avoid carbon build up leading to engine damage. Doesnt seem worth it after looking at that pic. Wasnt to keen on spending £200 on a "can" and some pipe so glad I found this out before coughing up.

what car have you got ?
cos its really the rs4 that suffers with carbon

2.0 TFSI. TFSI engines just suffer due to design as far as Im aware, carbon build up starts at very low mileage.

not all iv had rebuilds at over 100k and nothing to bad

So theres hope yet! Good to know bez. Did you know if they used oil? Im using 250-300ml per 500 miles which according to Audi and Opie oils is well under what they consider excessive for this engine (1L per 1000 kms).

Thanks for all the advice :)

yeah some use oil some dont
1 of my old a4's used a ltr every 1500 miles

Good to know. In your opinion was it time for a rebuild or did you just consider it normal?

Out of interest, how much is a rebuild as have always wondered? Please PM if this is personal info.

rebuild 1 was cos of oil pick up pipe blockage with parts and mates rates around a grand
rebuild 2 was water pump fail bit more damage and around 1200
rebuild 3 was snapped cam shaft had some parts from other rebuilds so around 600 for that 1

Thanks again, prices look good and roughly what I imagined. Hopefully I dont need one for a long long time (touches wood!).

I cleaned mine with a pick/screwdriver at about 40,000 mi. Similar in state to the photos already here. Think I may try using a mini sand blaster with plastic media to clean them off properly next time. I think the BMW dealers use walnut shell to achieve the same thing with their older DI engines. Newer DI engines inject a small quantity of fuel in the inlet manifold to wash the back of the valves.

Catch cans seem to catch more condensation than oil from what I've been looking at on various forums. During winter, the condensation collected can freeze in the can and/or pipes.

My car uses next to no oil, so not sure if there is a direct link between high oil consumption and valve stem build-up.

I don't thrash the car very often though.

GarJE, Im guessing you mean the valves. Does the inlet manifold need to come off, can you give me a brief step by step as never done it before. Started reading something about water/meth injection and how it helps with buildup but need to do some research.

As Bez said, some use oil some dont, effects even the newer models (A5, Q5 etc), Audi UK dont seem to think theres an issue even though there are recalls in the US.

Our cars never been driven hard either, guess its the luck of the draw. And mines done almost 100k, so theres probably a lot of carbon build up.