Flapper

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a mates engine. Its a MK6 Golf R with 41,000 miles.

Same CDL as S3

Decoke carried out by our indy at AP Automotive in Telford. It certainly comes up well.

I know there are many carbon clean services out there, but you can't see with most of them how much has been cleaned. At least this way you can visually see the results

This is what blasting looks like before and after.....

DSC044221024x768_zps686b7b7d.jpg

DSC044271024x768_zps3a39f971.jpg

Reactions: veeeight
AMDTuning arranged all that for me.

The head and manifold have been off several times....even with a catch can,the valves were still getting coked,as the pics above show.
That's when I switched to a different system for scavenging.

Yeah I don't think they do it in house ?
Gonna have to try and find a decent local round here I think

when you find a local place can you let me know please mate as im local to you

Reactions: S3Alex

Yes...done in house.

Just give Ben a call...he should be getting used to you as well by now!

Reactions: Smirky
when you find a local place can you let me know please mate as im local to you

As above,if AMDTuning are reasonably local,they can do it at a good price,and you can see the results from my pics.

My OP, it doesn't look too bad.

Yours is quite severe though

I think a lot comes down to the power levels and the amounts of blow-by etc.
Mine were taken with the car running around 450bhp at that time,and after at least one previous decoke.

I decided after that lot that it was time for a definitive answer to this problem and discarded the entire factory breather setup.

Don't you run Meth?

Surely this would be an added benefit for high power and keeping intake clean?

I do,but it just won't do the job.
The point is that the WMI is delivered in vaporised form,and of course it doesn't run continuously or at a high enough flow rate to make any difference.

As soon as you drop below 0.5bar,it shuts down,and is in any case progressive from 0.5bar to maximum boost.
You also have the cam cover breather to contend with even if you have a Forge-style catch can and PCV delete running.

How have you bypassed the breather system? Have you had issues with high crankcase pressure?

Here you go.....

It's an Integrated Engineering cam cover and vent-to-atmosphere breather setup.

EEA031D4-774B-4848-A3FA-79F97E044841_zpswyaqsdlm.jpg

F3225BB2-CC49-45B1-89CE-DD6DAF854EEF_zpsbcdkfb4d.jpg

It routes the cam and crank breathers through the separator/catch can,and removes the rear cam cover breather which dump soil into the turbo inlet.

Reactions: mister.c., Flapper, derekw and 1 other person
Does anyone know who does Walnut Blasting..?

I had a quick search this morning and the only people I could really find was Darkside Developments, But it's £400 :flushed::grin:

Good to get a list of tuners who can provide this service across the country,as it's a big problem on all of the TFSi engines,including the previous RS4 and R8 engines.

Start with AP Automotive as that's the first on the thread,in Telford

http://www.apautomotive.com/

Then down south you have AMDTuning

http://amdtuning.com/

I think that Awesome also can provide it,but need someone to confirm it.

Reactions: Smirky
I will give AP and Awesome a email and see what they say....

How much did AP charge?
While we're on the subject what do other's charge for the different types of carbon cleaning?

I emailed AP yesterday and got a response today, They charage £300 for a full Walnut Blasting service.

However they recommend new gasket's/seals at an additional £110 so obviously these aren't included in the price..

Reactions: DJ_26
How much did AP charge?
While we're on the subject what do other's charge for the different types of carbon cleaning?

Other methods such as Terraclean etc are not going to be as effective as walnut blasting.

Regal autosport do an engine clean called EDT if anyones interested

Per port:

Make sure valve is closed.
Filled with carb cleaner & left it for an hour or so. Scrape as much carbon off as possible with wooden/plastic tooth pick.
Clean out the port to remove the loose carbon & carb cleaner fluid.
Blow it out with brake cleaner.
Repeat that until the port/valve are carbon free.

id say its taken about 5-6 hours on each port to get it 100% carbon free.

Reactions: S3Alex and mister.c.
Per port:

Make sure valve is closed.
Filled with carb cleaner & left it for an hour or so. Scrape as much carbon off as possible with wooden/plastic tooth pick.
Clean out the port to remove the loose carbon & carb cleaner fluid.
Blow it out with brake cleaner.
Repeat that until the port/valve are carbon free.

id say its taken about 5-6 hours on each port to get it 100% carbon free.

You're a patient man Tom, well done. I did say earlier, the only way is to use elbow grease and this proves my point.

They look brand new! Mines on 70k now so no doubt im gonna have to get balls deep in there :grumpy:

That looks like a very well done job Tom, As already said look's like new. Goof effort :yes:

I wouldn't have the patience personally myself though, Although I dont like the fact of paying someone else....

You're a patient man Tom, well done. I did say earlier, the only way is to use elbow grease and this proves my point.

Or a nice man with a walnut blaster......LOL

Seriously though,the work Tom has done is excellent.

Cheers, ive got the luxury of another car, a nice dry warm workshop & a few months before the cars back on the road so ive got the time to spend.

If I didnt have that id 100% of just paid the money for a walnut clean. For whats involved & the effect that the results give you id say £400 is well worth the spend.